Thanks!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cavtrpr

Re: 174/3.88 - ED to Northwestern?

Postby cavtrpr » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:45 pm

Cobretti wrote:
cavtrpr wrote:I'm still new to this forum and am learning the lingo. What is PI?

TLS Abbreviation and Jargon

Super thanks.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:00 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
good point, although there are gross places similar to newport all over LA/OC county

There's definitely some, but the vast majority of orange county is pretty far from that stereotype (anaheim, santa ana, etc). I mean, it would be impossible for a geographic area that large to be that well off as a whole.

Just a pet peeve of mine (also from the area).

lol at the thought of Santa Ana having a 2mil avg home price.

to clarify, not that I feel I'd have to justify it either way, but to prove a larger point, my family home was 1) worth a good deal less than that average and 2) further discounted by the university. with multiple zip codes per city that overlap neighborhoods and even city lines, it is possible to live on a modest street, with an absurd gated community just a short walk up the hill. you feature into the same average, and go to the same high school, which is why I often parked my civic next to a porsche in the senior parking lot.

But yes, newport beach in general is ridiculous. I think Balboa area is like ~$3.5 mil avg, and pelican hill isn't even on this world

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:09 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
good point, although there are gross places similar to newport all over LA/OC county

There's definitely some, but the vast majority of orange county is pretty far from that stereotype (anaheim, santa ana, etc). I mean, it would be impossible for a geographic area that large to be that well off as a whole.

Just a pet peeve of mine (also from the area).

lol at the thought of Santa Ana having a 2mil avg home price.

to clarify, not that I feel I'd have to justify it either way, but to prove a larger point, my family home was 1) worth a good deal less than that average and 2) further discounted by the university. with multiple zip codes per city that overlap neighborhoods and even city lines, it is possible to live on a modest street, with an absurd gated community just a short walk up the hill. you feature into the same average, and go to the same high school, which is why I often parked my civic next to a porsche in the senior parking lot.

But yes, newport beach in general is ridiculous. I think Balboa area is like ~$3.5 mil avg, and pelican hill isn't even on this world

lol yeah I wasn't trying to argue with you brah. I didn't even have a car to park next to the Porches/BMWs/Benzs/Lexus IsF(this kid was one of the first to get one in california)/Range Rovers/etc. Though I did go to a private school

Aasterinian

Postby Aasterinian » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Aasterinian wrote: I recently met a girl from Belle Harbor who spent 1/4th of my family's yearly income on a weekend of shopping/partying in New York.

Gross. I can relate.

Edited? Afraid you'll be outed as the guy at CLS with the fab 1920s hairstyle? :wink:

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Aasterinian wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Aasterinian wrote: I recently met a girl from Belle Harbor who spent 1/4th of my family's yearly income on a weekend of shopping/partying in New York.

Gross. I can relate.

Edited? Afraid you'll be outed as the guy at CLS with the fab 1920s hairstyle? :wink:

Someone in the C/O 2016 CLS thread said they were looking for us on FB right after I dropped that anecdote. Im most likely out, but i cant make it that ez.

Aasterinian

Postby Aasterinian » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:19 am

FlanAl wrote: VITA is volunteer tax assistance? If you want to do civil PI stuff that background would be great. Write a personal statement about that and I'd imagine you are golden for HYS. Did your friend with better softs talk about wanting to do PI?

Yep! And no, I think she's always wanted to do biglaw. Do adcoms care about that sort of thing (PI vs. firm work)?

Also, my current PS is about artistic cartography -- basically I create maps for FRPG groups (think D&D type stuff). I know it sounds really dorky at first, but it's actually quite artistic and takes some technical skill as well. Some of my atlases have been used by major FRPG groups in Asia/Europe and have won awards, etc. So I'm hoping my PS makes it seem like an interesting and quirky hobby without coming off as too weird. Assuming I can convey that effectively, is it really better to write about something legal/PI related instead?

jbagelboy wrote:Someone in the C/O 2016 CLS thread said they were looking for us on FB right after I dropped that anecdote. Im most likely out, but i cant make it that ez.

so secretive. Sure you're Carraway and not Gatsby?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:56 am

Aasterinian wrote:Also, my current PS is about artistic cartography -- basically I create maps for FRPG groups (think D&D type stuff). I know it sounds really dorky at first, but it's actually quite artistic and takes some technical skill as well. Some of my atlases have been used by major FRPG groups in Asia/Europe and have won awards, etc. So I'm hoping my PS makes it seem like an interesting and quirky hobby without coming off as too weird. Assuming I can convey that effectively, is it really better to write about something legal/PI related instead?

That's awesome and you sound awesome. Just sayin'.

Aasterinian

Postby Aasterinian » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:45 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
Aasterinian wrote:Also, my current PS is about artistic cartography -- basically I create maps for FRPG groups (think D&D type stuff). I know it sounds really dorky at first, but it's actually quite artistic and takes some technical skill as well. Some of my atlases have been used by major FRPG groups in Asia/Europe and have won awards, etc. So I'm hoping my PS makes it seem like an interesting and quirky hobby without coming off as too weird. Assuming I can convey that effectively, is it really better to write about something legal/PI related instead?

That's awesome and you sound awesome. Just sayin'.

Your avatar is awesome.
I'm in love with Dany and live in constant fear that GRRM will kill her off in book 6 and ruin my life forever.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Aasterinian wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Someone in the C/O 2016 CLS thread said they were looking for us on FB right after I dropped that anecdote. Im most likely out, but i cant make it that ez.

so secretive. Sure you're Carraway and not Gatsby?

Lol. tell me this when you have 2000+ posts over many months. I've made plenty of regrettable statements (while bored at work, of course) that taken out of context would be unfortunate. Won't matter in the end...

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Didn't this NW ED program start in 2012? What I'd like to know from the most recent cycle then: Did NW offer full rides to regular applicants later in the year? Would be great if we could pull how many people got them. Or is the case that they only offer(or offer most of their $) to these binding ED apps?

Aasterinian

Postby Aasterinian » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:19 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I've made plenty of regrettable statements (while bored at work, of course) that taken out of context would be unfortunate.

I used to share a TLS account with a friend (the UChicago girl I mentioned in the OP), but replaced it with this one for that same reason. :P

paglababa wrote:Didn't this NW ED program start in 2012? What I'd like to know from the most recent cycle then: Did NW offer full rides to regular applicants later in the year? Would be great if we could pull how many people got them. Or is the case that they only offer(or offer most of their $) to these binding ED apps?

There are about 30 applicants on LSN who reported getting 150k to NU last cycle. Of those 30 less, I only count 4 who applied ED, which is somewhat encouraging.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:40 pm

OP, so you're not going to ED? I was looking more into the app process today. You have to have your inperson interview in before Nov 15th...thats crazy. That single fact will probably deter me from considering this option. I won't even have an lsat until Oct 31st, so I'd have 15 days to decide and then fly cross country to Chicago to do an interview.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:54 pm

paglababa wrote:OP, so you're not going to ED? I was looking more into the app process today. You have to have your inperson interview in before Nov 15th...thats crazy. That single fact will probably deter me from considering this option. I won't even have an lsat until Oct 31st, so I'd have 15 days to decide and then fly cross country to Chicago to do an interview.

You can do the interview before the LSAT as RD and then decide whether to switch to ED after your score comes back. Just say something like the more you learned about the school the more it felt like the perfect fit.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:10 pm

paglababa wrote:OP, so you're not going to ED? I was looking more into the app process today. You have to have your inperson interview in before Nov 15th...thats crazy. That single fact will probably deter me from considering this option. I won't even have an lsat until Oct 31st, so I'd have 15 days to decide and then fly cross country to Chicago to do an interview.

You can do an ED interview with admissions STAFF when they travel around the country.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:19 pm

basilseal wrote:

You can do an ED interview with admissions STAFF when they travel around the country.

That would be great, but how do you know that is possible, and the schedule of when the staff plans to visit other cities. In other words, source?

Their law page, in contradiction, states: "An on-campus interview is mandatory for Early Decision candidates. Off-campus interviews are not accepted. Your interview must be completed by November 15 to be considered for Early Decision. You are encouraged to sign-up for your interview as soon as possible to ensure that there are appointments available, as all on-campus interview appointment slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis."

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:39 pm

I mean this in the least rude way possible, but you're putting the cart before the horse here.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:45 pm

paglababa wrote:
basilseal wrote:

That would be great, but how do you know that is possible, and the schedule of when the staff plans to visit other cities. In other words, source?

Their law page, in contradiction, states: "An on-campus interview is mandatory for Early Decision candidates. Off-campus interviews are not accepted. Your interview must be completed by November 15 to be considered for Early Decision. You are encouraged to sign-up for your interview as soon as possible to ensure that there are appointments available, as all on-campus interview appointment slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis."

You're right, it has to be on-campus, unless they do make exceptions that I'm not aware of. However Samara is also right that you can do it before you get your score. I did an ED interview early October last year before I received my score (which was my first LSAT).

ETA: actually to add another thing to Samara's post, you can actually do the ED interview and then switch to RD (what I did). Assuming you haven't sent in your official application with the signed ED agreement, just interviewing as ED doesn't bind you.

With all that being said if this inconvenience is too much for you to be bothered with you probably aren't committed enough to be making a binding decision like this anyway.
Last edited by Cobretti on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Cobretti wrote:
paglababa wrote:
basilseal wrote:

You're right, it has to be on-campus. However Samara is also right that you can do it before you get your score. I did an ED interview early October last year before I received my score (which was my first LSAT).

ETA: actually to add another thing to Samara's post, you can actually do the ED interview and then switch to RD (what I did). Assuming you haven't sent in your official application with the signed ED agreement, just interviewing as ED doesn't bind you.

With all that being said if this inconvenience is too much for you to be bothered with you probably aren't committed enough to be making a binding decision like this anyway.

Not necessarily. Only, it's hard to find the desire to travel just for an interview, if I don't end up EDing. EDing will inevitablly come down to me knowing what my lsat score is. If I end up scoring a 170, for instance, I'd be more inclined to ED, since I probably wouldnt recieve as much $$$ RD at any of the other T14, so it would be a great deal. 180? Not so much of a great deal. I'm not saying that I would be fortunate to even get either score, but just wishing the window between apps and recieiving the lsat were longer to deliberate. But thanks for the info. I might see if I can plan a trip to Chicago and spend an afternoon interviewing. (unlikely considering $ & I won't be able to be on vacation mode due to lsat studying )

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:59 pm

i flew out the week after i sat for the LSAT. you have a whole month between taking the test and getting your score.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:13 pm

I realize it says that but they have made exceptions in the past. I would contact the office and ask about their staff schedule- obviously you won't be able to do an ED interview with just an alum.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Cobretti wrote:i flew out the week after i sat for the LSAT. you have a whole month between taking the test and getting your score.

Yep, I think OCT will be the way to go. Why did you switch from ED to RD?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:50 pm

paglababa wrote:
Cobretti wrote:i flew out the week after i sat for the LSAT. you have a whole month between taking the test and getting your score.

Yep, I think OCT will be the way to go. Why did you switch from ED to RD?

Didn't have a competitive GPA and knew I had to get close to 180 to be competitive (which he openly confirmed during the interview), then i only got 173

Aasterinian

Postby Aasterinian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm leaning against it, but I still haven't made up my mind. Also, I've ended up really liking my new job (which pays well) so I'm considering waiting until next year to apply so that I can build up my savings and gain extra WE.

That said, if I were in your shoes, I would definitely make interviewing before the 15th a priority. You have a lot to gain (a guaranteed full ride to a top school) and very little to lose (a couple hundred $ and one or two days of travel). If money is a big issue for you and you can demonstrate financial need, you might write to the admissions department and see if they'd be willing to refund some of your travel expenses. I remember someone on TLS last cycle who reported that NU refunded over half of his/her travel costs.

Either way, best of luck on the Oct LSAT and the rest of your cycle! :D

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Would just like to reiterate that I got ED and did not interview on campus. Please check with admissions to see if this is no longer possible before spending money on flights.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:16 pm

basilseal wrote:Would just like to reiterate that I got ED and did not interview on campus. Please check with admissions to see if this is no longer possible before spending money on flights.

When was this? Before the full ride ed?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”