US law school for living in Europe??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbagelboy

Re: US law school for living in Europe??

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:38 pm

CorpusChristi wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:They want JD lawyers...in America. Even working for a US office of a Magic Circle firm isn't going to get you to Europe except for training and occasional trips.

Even fluency is unlikely to get you there. The best thing would be to get a decent paying job and travel to Europe. Law school isn't a backdoor to being a well-paid expat.

I don't know how accurate that is. I know a few people at UT summering at the London offices of V5 firms. If a few UT students can get London, I'd have to imagine HYS students could get there in larger numbers if they wanted it.

Magic circle law firms will never choose a HYS student over tons of UoL/Oxbridge trainees or other sort of LLB holders from the other unis in the UK. Plus, you will not be able to commence your practice as a barrister or solicitor unless you have passed the required UK law modules.

Best regards

PS I'm talking about a legal job here, not some sort of banking or audit career.

yale law -> resuscitate your dormant hereditary peerage -> join Pratt's and Garrick's -> let old dudes fondle you to get QC -> date pippa middleton -> london partner at clifford

ez

CorpusChristi

Re: US law school for living in Europe??

Postby CorpusChristi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:33 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
CorpusChristi wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:They want JD lawyers...in America. Even working for a US office of a Magic Circle firm isn't going to get you to Europe except for training and occasional trips.

Even fluency is unlikely to get you there. The best thing would be to get a decent paying job and travel to Europe. Law school isn't a backdoor to being a well-paid expat.

I don't know how accurate that is. I know a few people at UT summering at the London offices of V5 firms. If a few UT students can get London, I'd have to imagine HYS students could get there in larger numbers if they wanted it.

Magic circle law firms will never choose a HYS student over tons of UoL/Oxbridge trainees or other sort of LLB holders from the other unis in the UK. Plus, you will not be able to commence your practice as a barrister or solicitor unless you have passed the required UK law modules.

Best regards

PS I'm talking about a legal job here, not some sort of banking or audit career.

yale law -> resuscitate your dormant hereditary peerage -> join Pratt's and Garrick's -> let old dudes fondle you to get QC -> date pippa middleton -> london partner at clifford

ez

Haha, that made me laugh actually!:D

Return to “Choosing a Law School”