Is UVA worth 38,372.00 more than Northwestern for BigLaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbagelboy

Re: Is UVA worth 38,372.00 more than Northwestern for BigLaw

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:47 pm

RedGiant wrote:TCR for this question is NO, unless you really like Chicago a lot more than Charlottesville.

The only reasons that I'd say YES are (i) it might be more convenient, if you really want Chicago biglaw, to go to NU (not having to move in the summer or pay double for housing) and (ii) internships would be more available in a city than Charlottesville, if you wanted to work during the school year 2L/3L to offset the debt.

I have worked in biglaw in NY and CA, and anecdotally, more NU in CA than UVA, a good mix of both in NY, but I think the more NU in CA is due to self-selection, not because the firms I've work at (or across from on deals) don't recruit at UVA. They do. Both schools will be looked upon very favorably in recruiting.

I urge you to attend where you think you'll excel and where you'll sleep better at night. Best of luck.

I think you reversed the thread topic. OP would be paying more for UVA.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:53 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
IAFG wrote:I doubt that UVA grads who are unemployed at grad do better than MPBDCN grads in the same position, but I don't have any data on that.

Not trying to be difficult here, but isn't that one of the few things LST underemployment data DOES tell us? ten times more of NU's graduating class will not find legal work after graduation. The data is right there. If you are referring to several years down the road, then sure we have no clear picture of that, but in the more immediate perspective, I'm curious how you are reading the employment scores and reaching that conclusion. Again, I am open to corrections, but I don't understand your comment.

I see how that was confusing.

NU and UVA will pay unemployed grads for JD required work that really, is just volunteering. That's not a real job. When the school cuts them off, I don't think UVA students are any better off than NU grads just because the school had more people on the dole.

Danny Boyo

Postby Danny Boyo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:01 pm

RedGiant wrote:TCR for this question is NO, unless you really like Chicago a lot more than Charlottesville.

The only reasons that I'd say YES are (i) it might be more convenient, if you really want Chicago biglaw, to go to NU (not having to move in the summer or pay double for housing) and (ii) internships would be more available in a city than Charlottesville, if you wanted to work during the school year 2L/3L to offset the debt.

I have worked in biglaw in NY and CA, and anecdotally, more NU in CA than UVA, a good mix of both in NY, but I think the more NU in CA is due to self-selection, not because the firms I've work at (or across from on deals) don't recruit at UVA. They do. Both schools will be looked upon very favorably in recruiting.

I urge you to attend where you think you'll excel and where you'll sleep better at night. Best of luck.

Thanks Red Giant,

Just got a little bit confused here. Are you saying that UVA IS worth the extra money to attend rather than NU (your comment "no, unless [I] really like Chicago a lot more" threw me off)?
Location is not my main concern here, but ultimately whether I can find a job which will pay the bills (including loans) and have a decent standard of living, regardless of where.
That being said, I am an international applicant (dual citizen) who already holds a bar license in another country. So, I'm thinking I'd be more attractive to employers in IBT, international arbitration, project financing, this sort of stuff. I assume this points towards NY right? Even so, that only factors in my decision-making as to whether that would help me finding a job.

Danny Boyo

Postby Danny Boyo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:02 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

I think you reversed the thread topic. OP would be paying more for UVA.

Yeah, I got confused here haha...

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:04 pm

UVA published stats. NU too lazy trolling linked inn pages for WE to counter

UVA Says that out of the 40 school-funded positions (fellowships) given in 2010, 32 had full time JD required jobs once the fellowship was over, 2 were in full-time JD advantage jobs, 1 in a full time JD not required position and 5 did not respond.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... NT0000AE76

This adds a good $12,926 to UVAs favor. Still not good enough tho

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:05 pm

Just counting getting a job as a success is shitty. Shitlaw isn't a good outcome.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:In my opinion, no (though it would be helpful to know where you want to work). But I would go to NU over UVA at equal cost. Average BigLaw+FedClerk placement for the last two years is higher for NU than for UVA.

No it isn't.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=uva
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=northwestern

Read more closely: "Average BigLaw+FedClerk placement for the last two years is higher for NU than for UVA."

Danny Boyo

Postby Danny Boyo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Just counting getting a job as a success is shitty. Shitlaw isn't a good outcome.

I know, I'm more ambitious than Shitlaw. I'm just being conservative and trying to put the odds on my side with this analysis.
Unless UVA gives me an advantage worth more than 38,727.00 (plus interest) when its time to pay the bills, I'm leaning NU.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:21 pm

sinfiery wrote:UVA published stats. NU too lazy trolling linked inn pages for WE to counter
UVA Says that out of the 40 school-funded positions (fellowships) given in 2010, 32 had full time JD required jobs once the fellowship was over, 2 were in full-time JD advantage jobs, 1 in a full time JD not required position and 5 did not respond.

It's pretty rare, I think, for a T14 grad to STILL have nothing at all a year out from grad.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:45 pm

IAFG wrote:
sinfiery wrote:UVA published stats. NU too lazy trolling linked inn pages for WE to counter

It's pretty rare, I think, for a T14T13 grad to STILL have nothing at all a year out from grad.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gulc

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:35 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
IAFG wrote:

It's pretty rare, I think, for a T14T13 grad to STILL have nothing at all a year out from grad.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gulc

No one needs to waste keystrokes on the phrase "except Georgetown", given the thousands of times it would be said if it were mentioned every time it applied.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:36 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:No one needs to waste keystrokes on the phrase "except Georgetown", given the thousands of times it would be said if it were mentioned every time it applied.

Plus it makes you feel like a dick.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:20 pm

GO UVA!!!

Although, if you just want Biglaw and aren't terribly concerned with where, NU is probably a good choice. It certainly wouldn't be a mistake to take it over UVA.

Danny Boyo

Postby Danny Boyo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks a lot for the input guys and gals, much appreciated.

North

Postby North » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:34 am

Won't the higher COL in Chi-town over three years cut into that 40k a bit?

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:41 am

North wrote:Won't the higher COL in Chi-town over three years cut into that 40k a bit?

I had the same question. Seems to me you could get a townhouse in Charlottesville for the same price as a studio in Chicago. Assuming you spend $700/month at UVA instead of $1200/month at NU on rent, that adds up to real money.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:06 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
North wrote:Won't the higher COL in Chi-town over three years cut into that 40k a bit?

I had the same question. Seems to me you could get a townhouse in Charlottesville for the same price as a studio in Chicago. Assuming you spend $700/month at UVA instead of $1200/month at NU on rent, that adds up to real money.

Danny Boyo wrote:Hi all,

The title says it all.
Taking everything into account (in-state tuition, cost of living, scholly etc.), I budgeted UVA at USD 38,372.00 more than Northwestern. I wish to work for BigLaw in order to repay my loans as quickly as possible since the bulk of my COA will be sticker (although I do not rule out public interest due to the sweet PSLF program). Both rank well for BigLaw employment, which made me wonder if UVA is worth paying 38,372.00 more than NU.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Danny Boyo

Postby Danny Boyo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:34 pm

Cobretti is right, I've already factored COL as best as I could in my budget. Both UVA and NU budgets reflect the lowest cost of living I could reasonably estimate in Charlottesville and Chi.

Danny Boyo

Postby Danny Boyo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Cobretti is right, I've already factored COL as best as I could reasonably budget it. Both estimates reflect comparable housing arrangements.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”