Is Northwestern splitter friendly with ED?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mx23250

Is Northwestern splitter friendly with ED?

Postby mx23250 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:14 am

Is Northwestern splitter friendly with ED? I know UVA is very friendly toward splitters, but due to NW giving full scholarships to its ED accepted students, I would assume they rarely accept splitters ED and would much rather "reject" them ED and then possibly accept them RD? Anyone have any insights or experiences here? Thanks!

Ti Malice

Re: Is Northwestern splitter friendly with ED?

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:22 am

mx23250 wrote:Is Northwestern splitter friendly with ED? I know UVA is very friendly toward splitters, but due to NW giving full scholarships to its ED accepted students, I would assume they rarely accept splitters ED and would much rather "reject" them ED and then possibly accept them RD? Anyone have any insights or experiences here? Thanks!

No, not at all. The purpose of ED at NU is to poach students from the T6.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:31 am

NU ED is a full-ride and therefore much harder to get. Average NU ED this cycle was 3.8/172.

NU RD is the most splitter-friendly T14. 170 and you're in, it doesn't even matter what your GPA is.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:NU ED is a full-ride and therefore much harder to get. Average NU ED this cycle was 3.8/172.

NU RD is the most splitter-friendly T14. 170 and you're in, it doesn't even matter what your GPA is.

With strong WE this is pretty true, otherwise no.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Yeah I got held and then waitlisted (which I simply let atrophy) at NU and I'm 170+ . So straight up that's just not true.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Okay, perhaps I'll rephrase: A 170+ gives the average NU applicant a ~90% chance of being accepted, pretty much regardless of GPA. I thought that to be close enough to call someone "in", but the usual caveat of there being no such thing as a guarantee in this process applies.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:05 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Okay, perhaps I'll rephrase: A 170+ gives the average NU applicant a ~90% chance of being accepted, pretty much regardless of GPA. I thought that to be close enough to call someone "in", but the usual caveat of there being no such thing as a guarantee in this process applies.

I think one further caveat would be 170+ w/ post-grad WE gives a ~90% chance, as Cobretti noted. Recall, only 2-5% of NU's entering class is k-jd each year. I know two people who applied to NU as college seniors and got held at 171 & 172 LSAT, respectively (although the 171 declined to interview, which was probably not a smart move). They don't reserve many spots for k-jd's. Even the most highly qualified k-jd's they push to the next cycle and ask them to worth in exchange for a full ride.

This policy could be in the process of changing given the decline in apps, but it held up until 2012

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks for your posts!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:52 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Okay, perhaps I'll rephrase: A 170+ gives the average NU applicant a ~90% chance of being accepted, pretty much regardless of GPA. I thought that to be close enough to call someone "in", but the usual caveat of there being no such thing as a guarantee in this process applies.

I think one further caveat would be 170+ w/ post-grad WE gives a ~90% chance, as Cobretti noted. Recall, only 2-5% of NU's entering class is k-jd each year. I know two people who applied to NU as college seniors and got held at 171 & 172 LSAT, respectively (although the 171 declined to interview, which was probably not a smart move). They don't reserve many spots for k-jd's. Even the most highly qualified k-jd's they push to the next cycle and ask them to worth in exchange for a full ride.

This policy could be in the process of changing given the decline in apps, but it held up until 2012

True, this is important to note as it applies to NU specifically, and there isn't enough application data on K-JDs specifically. Although frankly, I don't know why you would even apply K-JD--I never gave it a second thought.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:29 pm

If you're only a splitter in the eyes of HYS then you have a chance at the Northwestern ED. If you are the more traditional "I didn't attend a single class for half of undergrad" type of splitter then just get a 170 and hope for 50K.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”