URGENT: Need to Decide Today!! UGA vs. BU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BU or UGA

BU COA 100k
8%
UGA COA 44k
92%

Total votes: 37

lawbound23

URGENT: Need to Decide Today!! UGA vs. BU

Postby lawbound23 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:42 am

Hello,

I need to decide between BU and a UGA/in the next few hours.

3.2-3.4 and 165

COA for BU is : $100k w/interest factored in for 3 years

COA for UGA is: $44k w/interest calculated for 3 years

Originally from Georgia and wouldn't mind living here after law school and have no other loans.

I am wondering if a $56k difference is worth going to BU as I would like biglaw BUT would also be fine working for a smaller firm locally if it means landing a 80k plus job.

Thanks TLSers for all the help!

jbagelboy

Re: URGENT: Need to Decide Today!! UGA vs. BU

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:03 am

UGA by a mile. Ties/preference + less than half the CoA make it the sweeter deal. Congrats

lawbound23

Postby lawbound23 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:33 am

jbagelboy wrote:UGA by a mile. Ties/preference + less than half the CoA make it the sweeter deal. Congrats

Thanks! So even though BU doubles my chance at Big Law, it isn't worth the extra money right? I think what has lingered over me is the thought of potentially moving to a more diverse city even though I have been content w/living in GA most of my life.

Also at what point would BU be "worth it" in regards to COA thanks!

ronanOgara

Postby ronanOgara » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:37 am

Yes, your chances at biglaw are higher at BU, but so is the necessity of getting biglaw. BU in now way, shape, or form guarantees biglaw, and with your 100k debt from there, you most likely need that high-paying job to pay off your loans. Spending that much more for BU seems silly. Stay south and enjoy the sweet tea. UGA below 50k, with ties, and without the biglaw or bust attitude is a good choice

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:54 am

Just so you know, small firms start around $45k-$50k

I would not expect an 80k outcome

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 am

You're probably not getting biglaw or an 80K+ job regardless, so go to the school where you have ties and that costs half as much. Enjoy UGA.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:12 am

Ah, the mythical "just an 80K job" rearing its ugly head.

Go to UGA and congrats on not paying $1200 a month to Sallie Mae.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:41 pm

lawbound23 wrote:I am wondering if a $56k difference is worth going to BU as I would like biglaw BUT would also be fine working for a smaller firm locally if it means landing a 80k plus job.

LOL.

Given your GA ties and the cheaper COA, take UGA and run.

Edit: Typo
Last edited by PRgradBYU on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:29 pm

lawbound23 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:UGA by a mile. Ties/preference + less than half the CoA make it the sweeter deal. Congrats

Thanks! So even though BU doubles my chance at Big Law, it isn't worth the extra money right? I think what has lingered over me is the thought of potentially moving to a more diverse city even though I have been content w/living in GA most of my life.

Also at what point would BU be "worth it" in regards to COA thanks!

BU might have better biglaw placement than georgia, but still relatively crummy overall. You should basically understand that chances at biglaw are slim out of both schools, but at least with Georgia, you won't be smothered in debt and your local ties give you a strong shot at some work as a lawyer.

If you are biglaw or bust, I think you know T13 is the only answer. As for living in a more cosmopolitan city, well, I can relate to that. I wouldn't want to be in Georgia my whole life either, and hopefully your career will provide opportunities down the line to leave, but for now lower debt = more flexibility. If you really want to experience life in another part of the country or world, you should take another year off law school and travel/apply to jobs in LA/NYC/DC/Chicago.

Good luck

Return to “Choosing a Law School”