Ole Miss vs. LSU vs. Houston vs. Baylor - Battle Royale

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mroper09

Re: Ole Miss vs. LSU vs. Houston vs. Baylor - Battle Royale

Postby mroper09 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:55 am

BigZuck wrote:
mroper09 wrote:Retaking the LSAT is always an option but it doesn't seem like you have too much room left for movement. Also, this delays your entrance into law school by a year which isn't the best option.

Like everyone else has said... Baylor is a joke (source: email sent last year to admitted students with all the names, contact info, LSAT scores, scholarship money, etc. of everyone who had been admitted)

I would recommend not going to LSU because they are bound to teach Louisiana law there and frankly Louisiana law is extremely strange. Also, LSU, while ranked in the top 100, is no where near Baylor or UHLC in the rankings and rankings tend to matter when you're looking for a job.

If you feel like you have to go to Ole Miss then go. But, like you said, it is better to go to school where you plan on practicing. Also, Ole Miss isn't even ranked in the top 100 so job prospects might not be so great... (I also have some not so great personal stories about a visiting prof from Ole Miss but I digress).

Personally, I would go to the highest ranking school (UHLC) because it seems like money isn't an issue (and the cost to attend is relatively the same for all institutes anyways) and you want to practice in Texas. Also, have you visited UHLC? Despite the poor architecture, the people there are pretty great.

OP feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck making a decision!

Not a fan of this post for a few reasons

Also isn't Baylor ranked the highest? (I am too lazy to do a simple google search to see if that's correct but I thought they were higher than UH)

OP, don't go to Ole Miss. Or LSU. Or Baylor.

Top law schools has UH ranked #48 tied with SMU and a few others. Baylor is ranked #54. I suppose it depends upon which law school rankings you rely upon but I think top law schools pretty much gets it right.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:25 am

Any difference in ranking is academic and worthless.

crestor

Postby crestor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Not to hijack thread but law schools offer resident tuition to students even if they are non residents?

tmoney

Postby tmoney » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:11 pm

It could be considered an Out of State Waiver. So, in theory yes...I was offered several this cycle from state schools.

And for the little that it is worth, I couldn't turn down Baylor's ride--why I'm going. PM if you are interested in why. But hey, dancing has been allowed for almost twenty years...so, there's that.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:21 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but why is Baylor horrible?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=baylor

65.9 LT FT jobs isn't great, but it isn't exactly TTT. Am I missing something here?

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:26 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but why is Baylor horrible?

65.9 LT FT jobs isn't great, but it isn't exactly TTT. Am I missing something here?

It's in Waco, is famous for a cutthroat atmosphere, and is attached to a very conservative parent institution.

But mainly, Waco.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but why is Baylor horrible?

It's in Waco, is famous for a cutthroat atmosphere, and is attached to a very conservative parent institution.

But mainly, Waco.

Oh. That makes sense. I was gonna say. To me, it's employment numbers looked like a lighter version of ND/WUSTL (shittier clerkships + way lower big law, but same LT FT numbers).

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:42 pm

As everyone has said, the obvious choice is Houston if you want to work in Houston. It's well respected down here. And you will have a healthy alumni base to help you out. That won't really count for much, but it can't hurt.

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:45 pm

You only go to Baylor if that is clearly your best option. In this case, it is not. I get the impression that the law school at Baylor thinks the school is better than it actually is. I find that incredibly annoying. Sure, you can say the same thing about Texas. But, at least, Texas can back it up to some degree. Baylor cannot.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:02 pm

utlaw2007 wrote:You only go to Baylor if that is clearly your best option. In this case, it is not. I get the impression that the law school at Baylor thinks the school is better than it actually is. I find that incredibly annoying. Sure, you can say the same thing about Texas. But, at least, Texas can back it up to some degree. Baylor cannot.

I love me some Texas but I think it's safe to say that Texans think that Texas (and everything within it) is better than it actually is. It's not limited to their feelings about their universities.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:11 pm

crestor wrote:Not to hijack thread but law schools offer resident tuition to students even if they are non residents?

Some do

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:

But mainly, Waco.

Waco is definitely a strike against Baylor, but I'm not sure that it's the main reason Baylor sucks. When people describe why Baylor is hell, they most often talk about how Practice Court manages to make 3L the most stressful year of all, and how a large proportion of the faculty seem to revel in acting out the stereotype of the ruthless law professor (e.g. assigning students memos due the next day if the prof thinks they're insufficiently prepared). I don't know if the curve has been adjusted or not, but I remember reading people's comments as to how harsh it is/was as well. Students and grads say that this environment turns people who might otherwise be agreeable into insufferable, hypercompetitive douchebags.

Baylor sounds like it would be hell no matter where it was located. I think Waco just adds insult to injury.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:

But mainly, Waco.

Oh. That makes sense. I was gonna say. To me, it's employment numbers looked like a lighter version of ND/WUSTL (shittier clerkships + way lower big law, but same LT FT numbers).

SMU and UH have similar employment numbers

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:40 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
SMU and UH have similar employment numbers

Wow. Looking at the list of Texas schools in LST, there are barely any law schools with over 20% underemployment.

Wth....Dr. Dre was right. California sucks. It's such a shiTTThole.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”