Want to be an Indianapolis lawyer

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rosepetals66

Want to be an Indianapolis lawyer

Postby rosepetals66 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Hello,

While I realize that on TLS forums indianapolis is not the first career location preference for most biglaw interested people, I actually have a desire to wind up there. I want to make a good amount of money working as a corporate lawyer in indy and perhaps switch to an in house legal counsel later in my career if the opportunity were to present itself.

That makes me wonder which law school would be best to attend in order to achieve this goal.

Would Notre Dame be best to get a one-up at an indy career? Or would I be better off at IU Bloomington? Also, what about IU Indy itself? Would they give me better chance at a job because it's located in my target city and could give me opportunity to intern/clerk in indianapolis while I'm in school? I also would probably get the most money at IU Indy due to my 162/3.9 scores. I'm basically wondering if it's even worth me trying to reach for ND through the ED process if my job prospects would be better served at one of the IU schools. I'm also out of state, my reason for wanting Indy is because my fiancé has a lot of wealthy family in IN and wants to settle down in her home state with me.

Advice please, thanks for your time.

JamMasterJ

Re: Want to be an Indianapolis lawyer

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:46 pm

retake, ED northwestern

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:49 pm

you've gotta retake the LSAT mai bro/brah

also, while yes, location and regional placement matters, with your GPA, you could easily go to a school with national placement power that would bring you back to Indiana. As the poster above mentioned, Northwestern would give you a dominant hand in IL/IN/OH/ect.

A near full tuition scholarship at ND wouldn't be a bad bet either.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:07 pm

jbagelboy wrote:you've gotta retake the LSAT mai bro/brah

also, while yes, location and regional placement matters, with your GPA, you could easily go to a school with national placement power that would bring you back to Indiana. As the poster above mentioned, Northwestern would give you a dominant hand in IL/IN/OH/ect.

A near full tuition scholarship at ND wouldn't be a bad bet either.

CR. There's a ton more law students coming out of Indiana schools than there are jobs, never mind the type of highly specialized, prestige conscious work you want to get. Retaking is absolutely necessary.
Last edited by timbs4339 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Retake, enjoy Harvard/life

rosepetals66

Postby rosepetals66 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:21 pm

A couple things. 1. I am going to be coming out of undergrad and won't have 2 years work experience for Northwestern...they only accept 2% of people who are like me...

2. To retake the LSAT I'm going to need to prep hard for like 3-4 months, correct? This isn't going to be feasible with my senior thesis/I play on my schools football team all coming up this fall...that kills me for the October or December LSAT. I'm also going on a study tour to France in January, which kill the feb LSAT too...I really don't want to take a year or two off of school just to study for that damn test again...I'll be like 27 before I even start my career.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:24 pm

rosepetals66 wrote:A couple things. 1. I am going to be coming out of undergrad and won't have 2 years work experience for Northwestern...they only accept 2% of people who are like me...

2. To retake the LSAT I'm going to need to prep hard for like 3-4 months, correct? This isn't going to be feasible with my senior thesis/I play on my schools football team all coming up this fall...that kills me for the October or December LSAT. I'm also going on a study tour to France in January, which kill the feb LSAT too...I really don't want to take a year or two off of school just to study for that damn test again...I'll be like 27 before I even start my career.

Average age of a matriculate is like 24. Wait as long as you need to. It's not worth going a few years early only to suffer debt for the rest of your life.

Edit: I'm dumb
Last edited by Presidentjlh on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:27 pm

rosepetals66 wrote:A couple things. 1. I am going to be coming out of undergrad and won't have 2 years work experience for Northwestern...they only accept 2% of people who are like me...

27 is nothing. And working for a year or two will do wonders for your employability.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Ill be like two years older than that when I start, let alone when I finish. Fuck it, YOLO bro. Therefore:

Retake, enjoy Harvard/life

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:31 pm

rosepetals66 wrote:'ll be like 27 before I even start my career.

:cry:

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Everything you have said here very imperatively strengthens my concusion that you must take a year off (or more) and retake the LSAT in 2014. You are a senior in college. You have no idea what you want or what you're capable of.

Write a good thesis, enjoy your last season and final chance to be a college kid -- it doesnt get any better than that -- explore Europe, and starting in the spring after you return, study for 4-6 months and retake. Law school will always be there waiting for you, and you only get one shot at it. You've set yourself up well with a 3.9 UGPA. Dont fuck it up now or waste it.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:47 pm

If you want to be in Indy and that is your only focus, then IU full ride is the best option. There are actually not too many NDLS people in Indy. I worked there last summer, TONS of IU people. But you really do need to minimize debt.

adammac17

Postby adammac17 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:

Average age of a matriculate is like 24. Wait as long as you need to. It's not worth going a few years early only to suffer debt for the rest of your life.

Also, Northwestern was just an example I threw out there.

I threw out there? Is Presidentjlh an alt for JamMasterJ?!?! :shock:

JamMasterJ wrote:retake, ED northwestern

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:57 pm

This is woefully shortsighted and you are selling yourself waaaaaaaay short. Take it from somebody who knows the Indy market well... retake, go to ND/IUB on scholarship or IU-I for free, or go to a T14. If you have Indy biglaw aspirations, know that your odds are slim no matter where you go. So few jobs at big firms in that city.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:58 pm

adammac17 wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:

Also, Northwestern was just an example I threw out there.

I threw out there? Is Presidentjlh an alt for JamMasterJ?!?! :shock:

JamMasterJ wrote:retake, ED northwestern

Bah, I referenced Northwestern on another post. My bad.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”