Loyola New Orleans vs. Cal Western

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Loyola New Orleans or Cal Western?

Loyola New Orleans
60%
Cal Western
40%

Total votes: 10

SuperCerealBrah

Re: Loyola New Orleans vs. Cal Western

Postby SuperCerealBrah » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:36 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Zoomie wrote:I am going to LOYNO. It's not a bad choice as others have said. They have a great practical skills program. You have to take ALOT of what the people say on here with a grain of salt. They are by no means experts regardless of how many blogs and articles they have read. LOYNO is a very geographically limited school. Louisiana does practice civil law but it has a common law program. A law degree from Loyola is respected in New Orleans....but that's about it. I think your chances of being a lawyer depend on you. The job market is abysmal but not impossible. Students graduate every year and get jobs as a lawyer. There are some that don't get jobs but where were they on their ranking. What kind of jobs have they turned down. Eh, it really is a chance and as long as you have your expectations managed, I would not worry about wht the pretentious T14 are saying about either school. Loyola has produced successful lawyers, as has Cal Western.

With that being said, if you have no ties to Louisiana and don't plan to stay here, I would go with Cal Western. You live there, have ties and will probably benefit more by attending school in an area you want to stay in, especially with a T3 school.

I will take your word that a LOYNO degree is respected in New Orleans, since I have literally no other reference for that information.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that a Cal Western degree is not at all respected in southern california. In fact, it is ridiculed.

She is right about Loyola being pretty respected in New Orleans. However, that still does not make it a good idea to go there.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:42 pm

Zoomie wrote:I don't see why anyone who is not from Louisiana or seeking employment in Louisiana would come to a Louisiana school.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... s&show=ABA

Yes, everyone agrees with you on that. Looking at Loyola NO's employment stats, it looks like about 10% of students get jobs that can pay off their student loans. Loyola NO isn't a great option right now because there are 4 law schools in Louisiana and the LA market really only supports 3 schools. Tulane is slightly more expensive than Loyola NO, but offers much better job prospects, LSU is much cheaper and offers a higher change of gaining legal employment, and Southern is dirt cheap and has only slightly worse job prospects. This leaves Loyola NO as the school that would hypothetically "need to go". It has nothing to do with the academic quality of the school or the intellectual capacity of its students, it's the cost-benefit analysis of attending that's not good.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Zoomie wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Zoomie wrote:You just have to do the work and be at the top of your class.

Normally I would just say you're trolling but I don't think you would sit through two waiting threads if you were just on this site to troll. There is something deeply wrong with this sentence. Think about it. Hard.

If someone wants to be a lawyer in LA then it's LSU or Tulane or bust (and honestly, probably not Tulane). Just like the OP here, you need to retake or don't go. Don't throw your life away.

Ha, I'm really not trolling. But you're definitely creeping. That's advice a student at LSU law gave me when I asked about job prospects and employment after graduation.

Creeping? It took all of 30 seconds to see where else you had posted on this site.

So the LSU student also said don't go to Loyola and you're not listening to him either because you know a few successful grads? Do you know the entire most recent graduating class? I bet if you did you would find more than a few that weren't successful.

Staking three years of your life and a ton of money on the chance you will finish at the top of your class to have a shot at a decent job is an incredibly foolish and reckless thing to do. Please don't.

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:01 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Zoomie wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Normally I would just say you're trolling but I don't think you would sit through two waiting threads if you were just on this site to troll. There is something deeply wrong with this sentence. Think about it. Hard.

If someone wants to be a lawyer in LA then it's LSU or Tulane or bust (and honestly, probably not Tulane). Just like the OP here, you need to retake or don't go. Don't throw your life away.

Ha, I'm really not trolling. But you're definitely creeping. That's advice a student at LSU law gave me when I asked about job prospects and employment after graduation.

Creeping? It took all of 30 seconds to see where else you had posted on this site.

So the LSU student also said don't go to Loyola and you're not listening to him either because you know a few successful grads? Do you know the entire most recent graduating class? I bet if you did you would find more than a few that weren't successful.

Staking three years of your life and a ton of money on the chance you will finish at the top of your class to have a shot at a decent job is an incredibly foolish and reckless thing to do. Please don't.

I will take your information into consideration. I think it's cute that you automatically assume that I am paying 42k a year with no other educational resources. Thanks for your advice. No need to defend yourself about creeping. :lol:

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Neither

You dumb if you do

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Where did I say you were paying 42K a year? I have no idea how much you're paying.

Instead of investing your time thinking up more weak logical fallacies or ad hom attacks why not actually internalize what other people are telling you? Pretend, for one minute, that you're not special and you will be decidedly average in law school. And where will that get you in 3 years?

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Ignore the "study hard" turd in this thread

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Mick Haller wrote:Ignore the "study hard" turd in this thread

Aww he's cute, can we keep him?

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Lol is that all? Why didn't anybody tell that to the 50% of unemployed grads?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Zoomie wrote:

Mick went to a law school with a great reputation that has job prospects similar to these schools (somewhat better actually). And he got a job. And he's saying don't go.

Thank about that.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Zoomie wrote:

Was referring to you dummy. Your advice is terrible

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
Zoomie wrote:

Conversely, she may have been referring to you Mick.

Either way, Zoomie, while your input on loyola is appreciated, just stop there please :).

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:Where did I say you were paying 42K a year? I have no idea how much you're paying.

Instead of investing your time thinking up more weak logical fallacies or ad hom attacks why not actually internalize what other people are telling you? Pretend, for one minute, that you're not special and you will be decidedly average in law school. And where will that get you in 3 years?

No really, I understand what you are saying. Jokes and snarky comments aside, I respect the advice. I have spent the past two years deciding if this is a economically wise decision or more simply just a right move for me. You are not the first nor the last person to deter a law student from making the decision to spend a shit ton of money with no guarentee of a return on investment. No prospective law student who is considering a tier 3 or even 4 school should choose without fully understanding the potential consequences. Law school scares the shit out of me with the crappy employment rates and job outlook. I don't think I'm special. I have no unrealistic expectations about law school or my future. I am willing to take the gamble. Sounds like the OP is too. It's a lot of money to gamble, but only they can decide if its right for him. I don't think Loyola is a good decision for him either. For certain not at that cost, but he (or she) asked for sound advice as to which school. I don't think "neither" was an option.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:26 pm

Zoomie wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Where did I say you were paying 42K a year? I have no idea how much you're paying.

No really, I understand what you are saying. Jokes and snarky comments aside, I respect the advice. I have spent the past two years deciding if this is a economically wise decision or more simply just a right move for me. You are not the first nor the last person to deter a law student from making the decision to spend a shit ton of money with no guarentee of a return on investment. No prospective law student who is considering a tier 3 or even 4 school should choose without fully understanding the potential consequences. Law school scares the shit out of me with the crappy employment rates and job outlook. I don't think I'm special. I have no unrealistic expectations about law school or my future. I am willing to take the gamble. Sounds like the OP is too. It's a lot of money to gamble, but only they can decide if its right for him. I don't think Loyola is a good decision for him either. For certain not at that cost, but he (or she) asked for sound advice as to which school. I don't think "neither" was an option.

Neither is definitely an option. They could retake the LSAT.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:26 pm

My school (Hastings) does have a better reputation than these two. I finished top 15% and barely found a 75k job in insurance defense. I am happy with my outcome, very happy in fact. But there's a lot of my fellow grads who are doing terrible. Based on the official c/o 2012 employment stats for Hastings, roughly 20% are FT employed earning 80k+. Less than half are FT employed at JD required positions.

If you are considering 100k+ debt at any school other than a T20, the odds are strongly stacked against you. OP - beg you to reconsider. Best case scenario you graduate Cal Western and earn 50-60k with a ton of debt. And your odds of that are probably around 1 in 3. Don't take a 2/3 chance of crushing debt and misery. Be creative and come up with some fresh career ideas

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:27 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
Zoomie wrote:

I know you were... :roll:

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:31 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:Neither is definitely an option. They could retake the LSAT.

I seriously feel like I'm in the twilight zone. The poll did not give that as an option so I don't think the OP is considering neither. I could be definitely be wrong but if he or she is even considering $100k a year and applied to law school, my guess is they are pretty serious and willing to pay that for law school.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Zoomie wrote:

I seriously feel like I'm in the twilight zone. The poll did not give that as an option so I don't think the OP is considering neither. I could be definitely be wrong but if he or she is even considering $100k a year and applied to law school, my guess is they are pretty serious and willing to pay that for law school.

It's not that you're ignorant about the legal profession, it's that you don't know that you're ignorant about the legal profession. Most of what you've said ITT has been terrible advice that I'd expect someone with no exposure to TLS to give.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Zoomie wrote:

I know it's not in the poll. It should be.

100k would be a fine price if OP knew they could pay that off with a job upon graduation. These schools, while not terrible in their quality of education, do not have the job stats that suggest such will happen.

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
Zoomie wrote:

I know it's not in the poll. It should be.

100k would be a fine price if OP knew they could pay that off with a job upon graduation. These schools, while not terrible in their quality of education, do not have the job stats that suggest such will happen.

Sound advice.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:43 pm

I could be definitely be wrong but if he or she is even considering $100k a year and applied to law school, my guess is they are pretty....

...stupid. (There, I fixed it for you.)

OP: if those are your only choices, don't go.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Retake or don't go is ALWAYS an option

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Have you considered other options?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Zoomie... are you trolling or just plain dumb?

Work hard and be at the top of your class? Oh is that all? I feel like the 0Ls are ramping up the naivete lately.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Zoomie wrote:

Should I shoot myself in the face with a shotgun or a rifle?

Neither is always an option.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”