T-14 National Reach?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
prelaw14
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:06 am

T-14 National Reach?

Postby prelaw14 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:15 pm

.
Last edited by prelaw14 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: T-14 National Reach?

Postby kaiser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:22 pm

prelaw14 wrote:I'm planning on applying to law schools this fall or next. I'm aiming for a T-14 school, but I'm wondering if they all have a strong national reach, or if some are more regional? I have strong ties to Boston and would like to work there after law school. If anyone could give me some insight into this, I'd appreciate it!


Any of the northeast T-14 schools will have a solid reach there, along with the top schools not in the area like Stanford and Chicago, which have great reputations everywhere. No hard and fast rules on which T14 schools are national vs. regional, but you can use general guidelines, like HYSCCN will in general be more national in reach than Cornell & Georgetown for example.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: T-14 National Reach?

Postby stillwater » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:25 pm

kaiser wrote:
prelaw14 wrote:I'm planning on applying to law schools this fall or next. I'm aiming for a T-14 school, but I'm wondering if they all have a strong national reach, or if some are more regional? I have strong ties to Boston and would like to work there after law school. If anyone could give me some insight into this, I'd appreciate it!


Any of the northeast T-14 schools will have a solid reach there, along with the top schools not in the area like Stanford and Chicago, which have great reputations everywhere. No hard and fast rules on which T14 schools are national vs. regional, but you can use general guidelines, like HYSCCN will in general be more national in reach than Cornell & Georgetown for example.


UVA is konwn to have a strong network in Boston as well.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: T-14 National Reach?

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:28 pm

All of the t-14 will get you to NYC, Chicago, or DC but they each have regions they are stronger in than others. Secondary markets (and by that I mean Boston, Atlanta, California, and Texas, not some random place) will know the top 14 but you will need to either have ties going in or develop them your 1L year.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: T-14 National Reach?

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:11 pm

prelaw14 wrote:I'm wondering if they all have a strong national reach, or if some are more regional?


Yes and yes. These are not mutually exclusive things. Every T14 is a name whose prestige is, at the very least, recognized in every part of the country. That said, the relative strengths of the schools after HYS (which will be the top three wherever you are) vary by market. The strongest of MVPB will depend on whether you're in Detroit, DC, Philadelphia or San Francisco.

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: T-14 National Reach?

Postby Vincent » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:37 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
prelaw14 wrote:I'm wondering if they all have a strong national reach, or if some are more regional?


Yes and yes. These are not mutually exclusive things. Every T14 is a name whose prestige is, at the very least, recognized in every part of the country. That said, the relative strengths of the schools after HYS (which will be the top three wherever you are) vary by market. The strongest of MVPB will depend on whether you're in Detroit, DC, Philadelphia or San Francisco.


(Warning, 0L posting) TITCR, I believe. T14's also tend to dominate their home market at the expense of other law schools - e.g. Chicago and NU cover Chicago, Duke holds sway in the South, Stanford and Cal blanket California, etc.

LST does provide you with information about where graduates end up practicing school by school, if you're looking for more detailed statistics.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: T-14 National Reach?

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:14 am

prelaw14 wrote:I have strong ties to Boston and would like to work there after law school. If anyone could give me some insight into this, I'd appreciate it!

T14 should get you home

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: T-14 National Reach?

Postby twenty » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:46 pm

There are a couple of super insular markets (i.e, North Carolina for Duke, Sacramento for Berkeley, possibly UTexas for anything not Houston/Austin) that make more sense than their respective T14 schools for getting into those secondary markets. This kind of doesn't matter so much in your case, since Boston cares about individual ties a lot more than the school's proximity to campus (excluding Berkeley, which is a pain to get to at OCI time).

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: T-14 National Reach?

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:16 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:There are a couple of super insular markets (i.e, North Carolina for Duke, Sacramento for Berkeley, possibly UTexas for anything not Houston/Austin) that make more sense than their respective T14 schools for getting into those secondary markets. This kind of doesn't matter so much in your case, since Boston cares about individual ties a lot more than the school's proximity to campus (excluding Berkeley, which is a pain to get to at OCI time).


For future reference re: Texas: I think Austin is more insular than Dallas. Houston isn't any more insular than other secondary markets.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: T-14 National Reach?

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:34 pm

Austin is definitely the toughest of ADH to crack




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 12481632, BigZuck, Google [Bot], Leliana, lymenheimer, poptart123, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests