Brooklyn ($$$$) vs. GW ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which of the following is the best option?

Brooklyn ($50k/yr scholarship)
85%
GW ($12k/yr scholarship)
15%

Total votes: 13

moshei24

Brooklyn ($$$$) vs. GW ($)

Postby moshei24 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm posting this for a friend.

Her stats are 3.85/164. She has two offers right now.

Brooklyn offered her $50k/yr, with the only stipulation being staying in the top 80% of the class. She'd live at home if she went there, and would graduate with no debt.

GW offered her $12k/yr and she'd have to pay the living expenses of DC. GW has no stipulations to keep her scholarship.

She's set on going to GW, and going into $250k+ debt, if not more. She doesn't want to retake the LSAT and reapply, though. I believe that Brooklyn is the better choice in this situation.

Which should she choose and why?

nickb285

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. GW $

Postby nickb285 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:11 pm

moshei24 wrote:She doesn't want to retake the LSAT and reapply

Would she rather be almost definitely unemployed and debt free, or possibly unemployed and massively indebted?

Tell your friend to be patient instead of stupid.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:14 pm

nickb285 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:She doesn't want to retake the LSAT and reapply

Would she rather be almost definitely unemployed and debt free, or possibly unemployed and massively indebted?

Tell your friend to be patient instead of stupid.

Oh, I left out she that she already took the LSAT twice. She happens to be an extremely good student and I wouldn't be surprised if she end up on Law Review at Brooklyn, which would mean she'd find a job. Though, she stood study over the Summer, retake, and reapply.

untar614

Re: Brooklyn ($$$$) vs. GW ($)

Postby untar614 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 pm

She should only go to GW if she's willing to accept being on IBR/PAYE for the next 20-something years, as less than a third of GW grads are going to get the high paying jobs that can service that kind of debt. Since it would entail zero debt, Brooklyn wouldn't be ruinous, but there's also a good chance it could end up being a wasted 3 years. Even if it isn't, she won't get any lofty position, so if she has any decently high aspirations, then retaking would be necessary. With that good of a GPA, retaking would be incredibly beneficial if she could really apply herself to getting well-prepared for the LSAT, so I'd say do your best to encourage her to retake, and warn her what GW with little scholarship means.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:19 pm

For a second there I thought you had made another thread for yourself with a major downgrade, and I was going to lawl.

GWU for $200K+ debt is definitely a bad call. Servicing that debt won't be easy out of that school. While there's no way to guarantee a legal job from Brooklyn, it won't screw your friend over. What are her goals? If she wants biglaw or anything like it, a third retake is the only correct answer.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Retake or Brooklyn. But Brooklyn is a distant second.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:34 pm

I'd retake but Brooklyn with literally zero debt isn't the worst option to have. If your friend is anywhere close to biglaw or bust (or hell, law firm or bust) I'd suggest retaking though.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:36 pm

If she desires a high paying or prestigious job - retake >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brooklyn > GW
If she just wants to be a lawyer - retake > Brooklyn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GW

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:36 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Retake or Brooklyn. But Brooklyn is a distant second.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Brooklyn isn't a horrifyingly bad choice if she really doesn't want to retake.

But if she really wants to be a successful lawyer, she should retake.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:39 pm

moshei24 wrote:Oh, I left out she that she already took the LSAT twice. She happens to be an extremely good student and I wouldn't be surprised if she end up on Law Review at Brooklyn, which would mean she'd find a job. Though, she stood study over the Summer, retake, and reapply.

So she's a good enough student to guarantee law review and a job from a school where less than half of the students even get the latter, but not good enough to study a few more months and take the LSAT a third time?

rad lulz wrote:

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:45 pm

nickb285 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:Oh, I left out she that she already took the LSAT twice. She happens to be an extremely good student and I wouldn't be surprised if she end up on Law Review at Brooklyn, which would mean she'd find a job. Though, she stood study over the Summer, retake, and reapply.

So she's a good enough student to guarantee law review and a job from a school where less than half of the students even get the latter, but not good enough to study a few more months and take the LSAT a third time?

rad lulz wrote:

School and the LSAT are two different things...

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:48 pm

moshei24 wrote:
nickb285 wrote:

rad lulz wrote:

School and the LSAT are two different things...

Yeah.

School's way, way more difficult.

If she's cool with Brooklyn's odds, that's her choice, but she should retake.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Unless you're bad at standardized tests.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:50 pm

moshei24 wrote:Unless you're bad at standardized tests.

If you're bad at standardized tests, then law school won't be too fun, since your entire grade is dependent on one, comprehensive final in the spring.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:00 pm

The LSAT is learnable. She needs to study. Those same skills that made her good at school can help her crack 170.

Also, law school is extremely different than undergrad or high school. Everyone is within a very narrow range of intelligence and are generally very good at the skills that go into law school specifically.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:02 pm

timbs4339 wrote:

The LSAT is learnable. She needs to study. Those same skills that made her good at school can help her crack 170.

Also, law school is extremely different than undergrad or high school. Everyone is within a very narrow range of intelligence and are generally very good at the skills that go into law school specifically.

True. I'm gonna encourage her to retake it. She has ability to improve. I think some of her study techniques were a little faulty.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:41 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:07 am

Crooklyn has STIPS and is rumored to section stack. Retake.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:11 pm

nickb285 wrote:

rad lulz wrote:

Big +1 to this.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”