Did I make a huge mistake? WUSTL vs BC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WanderingPondering

Bronze

Did I make a huge mistake? WUSTL vs BC

Post by WanderingPondering » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 am

Chose WUSTL with a full ride over bc with 19k/year. Ties to the east coast, not much in the midwest.

3.0/166, mediocre I know.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Did I make a huge mistake? WUSTL vs BC

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:17 am

Between those two options? No. I'd much rather graduate debt free or close to it from WUSTL than spend that kind of money on BC.

But do you have any retakes left? That may be your best option.

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:17 am

did you try negotiating?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:19 am

If you want to work in Boston, then BC/BU is the better choice

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:24 am

I'd try this:

Dear BC,
While I would love to attend your school, WUSTL's badass full ride offer is too good to pass up. BC is actually a better fit for my goals, but I cannot justify the additional 75k (or so) in additional debt, given the state of the legal job market. That being said, I would would definitely attend if BC were able to match WUSTL's offer, and I would factor any additional aid into my decision if my offer was increased. Please let me know if this is a possibility. Thank you for your consideration in this matter. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Greedy/debt averse 0L

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:29 am

You should try negotiating. As a fellow future WUSTLer who got that same sweet deal, I may be biased, but WUSTL for free (tuition wise) certainly isn't a bad move, but if your goal is Bahstahn, you should negotiate. I'd be surprised if they didn't up your scholly at least a little bit.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:29 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:I'd try this:

Dear BC,
While I would love to attend your school, WUSTL's badass full ride offer is too good to pass up. BC is actually a better fit for my goals, and it would let me avoid being classmates with MarkinKansasCity,but I cannot justify the additional 75k (or so) in additional debt, given the state of the legal job market. That being said, I would would definitely attend if BC were able to match WUSTL's offer, and I would factor any additional aid into my decision if my offer was increased. Please let me know if this is a possibility. Thank you for your consideration in this matter. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Greedy/debt averse 0L
FTFY 8)

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:30 am

Cobretti wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:I'd try this:

Dear BC,
While I would love to attend your school, WUSTL's badass full ride offer is too good to pass up. BC is actually a better fit for my goals, and it would let me avoid being classmates with MarkinKansasCity,but I cannot justify the additional 75k (or so) in additional debt, given the state of the legal job market. That being said, I would would definitely attend if BC were able to match WUSTL's offer, and I would factor any additional aid into my decision if my offer was increased. Please let me know if this is a possibility. Thank you for your consideration in this matter. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Greedy/debt averse 0L
FTFY 8)
:lol: :lol:

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:39 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:40 am

I would definitely try to negotiate with that WUSTL offer, I know of at least three people who were able to get some more money out of the school they had deposited at with the WUSTL fully.

The GPA is the limiting factor more than anything, free WUSTL doesn't sound horrible for the OP.

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:44 am

ajax adonis wrote:No, you didn't make a huge mistake. WUSTL is a great school too. Full ride ain't bad as long as the stips aren't extortionate.
All WUSTL schollys are guaranteed throughout all 3 years. No stips.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:49 pm

No other peer schools will be able to match WUSTL's full rides this cycle. the conversation should be about how much $ from BC would make it the right call given OP's employment goals/preferences.

Can you live at home if you go to a boston school? If so, $25K/year from BC + 0 CoL wins. If you'll have to rent in law school either way, then you'll need $35K/year at least to make BC worth it. If you can't up it to that, then just massage the shit out of those east coast ties, and worst case scenario, you aren't much in the whole with a T20 JD.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:00 pm

WUSTL is fine if you are comfortable working in Kansas or possibly other nearby mid-western markets. You'll have to do well to get a job out-of-market, but it is possible. If you have your heart set on a big Vault firm, then you should go to a school that places better in Vault firms, one of which is BC. However, there are plenty of firms that many would consider biglaw that are not Vault firms and that are located in midwestern markets.

If you don't care about the big coastal firms, WUSTL is a great school and you'll enjoy not having the debt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:30 pm

WUSTL is far from a national powerhouse, and obviously it places stronger in STL/KC/etc. than other markets, but the idea that its strictly or even mostly regional is a bit overstated. Look at LST. Graduates go all over the place.

That said, if OP is set on the east coast or Boston in particular, then he should retake for a much better school. But with that GPA, it will be hard to beat a full ride at WUSTL. Thats 's probably the best financial package he will get anywhere, and its highly unlikely to happen again next year with those numbers. Usually retaking is low risk because the same offers will be there the next year even without an increase, but maybe not in this case. If OP can crack 170 and is cool with big debt at a T14, then retake is a good call. But its unlikely BU/BC will be able to come close to that kind of financial package.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:04 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:16 pm

I'm not sure about placement in Boston, but I doubt it is amazing, though. I'm sure BC would place better, but is it 70-100k better? Probably not.
Depends on your value of the dollar. But the practical story is that WashU sent <6 grads to all of New England last year. In contrast, 10 times that amount (60%) of BC's grads stayed in New England, with over half the class remaining in Mass.

Self-selection, surely. But that is the point. To me, the BC network is worth the $ delta.
Last edited by Big Dog on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:WUSTL is far from a national powerhouse, and obviously it places stronger in STL/KC/etc. than other markets, but the idea that its strictly or even mostly regional is a bit overstated. Look at LST. Graduates go all over the place.

That said, if OP is set on the east coast or Boston in particular, then he should retake for a much better school. But with that GPA, it will be hard to beat a full ride at WUSTL. Thats 's probably the best financial package he will get anywhere, and its highly unlikely to happen again next year with those numbers. Usually retaking is low risk because the same offers will be there the next year even without an increase, but maybe not in this case. If OP can crack 170 and is cool with big debt at a T14, then retake is a good call. But its unlikely BU/BC will be able to come close to that kind of financial package.
+1. OP's certainly not out of the running to get a legal job on the east coast from WUSTL. Biglaw is about the same from both schools and much lower than 50%, and its going to extremely difficult to pay off $150K of student loan debt on a 60K salary in Boston.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:30 pm

hoos89 wrote:Nonetheless: full ride from WUSTL with those numbers is crazy.
Not crazy at all considering WUSTL gave everyone with a 166+ a full ride this year, it seems. Hard to say if the gravy train will continue next cycle. With a low GPA, he may get sticker at NU with a retake or maybe 45K, but that's about it. WUSTL seems like a good choice.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:52 pm

OP here, and thanks for all the replies. I was really regretting not retaking, as I was PTing in the 169-171 range, but I'm honestly not sure I'd choose NU at sticker over WUSTL fo free. And who knows if this type of money will be available next cycle. I'd be thrilled to get a job in any "real city" whether it be Chicago, St Louis, DC, NYC, Boston, Atlanta, etc. I know biglaw isnt very likely, but luckily I won't be financially ruined if I don't get it.

Sort of bummed about not getting to be in Boston, had a little emotional attachment to it. But my only connections there are relatives living, and not anything too major.

Again, thanks ya'll.

gatorfan163287

New

Post by gatorfan163287 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:10 pm

WUSTL for full tuition seems like the clear winner between these 2 choices if retake if off the table.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Is WUSTL Law gonna go bankrupt his year? Seems like they've handed out so many full rides.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:24 pm

(double post)
Last edited by untar614 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”