NYU vs UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yeahboiii

NYU vs UVA

Postby yeahboiii » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 am

Currently set to go to UVa, have a small merit grant (10k/yr). Just got into NYU off waitlist (haven't heard whether or not they'll match, but I doubt it). I think I'd like to spend three years in Virginia but I def want NYC biglaw after graduation...which is the better choice? If it had been a month ago I probably would have gone with NYU but now not so sure. Also I'm supposed to sign my lease like now (ha) so yeah...

BigZuck

Re: NYU vs UVA

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:59 am

Please follow the directions for posting in this forum

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:03 am

The given COA difference is like 65k after interest. People have taken both UVA and NYU in this instance but given your NYC biglaw goals, (that is where you find the most dramatic difference between these two schools) I'd say NYU.

Also, yeah what bigzuck said. These are expensive options and if they can be avoided, should.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:41 pm

The schools are not that far apart in employment prospects. UVA does a better job servicing DC, and NYU obviously has more dominance in new york. You could pick either based on that preference alone. Obviously there's a big cultural and geographic difference as well, and you have to think about where you would like to spend the next 3 years.

Whatever you do, though, I would urge you to look beyond the small ball crap like apartment leases, friends, and whatever expectations you built up for yourself over the past month, and think long term -- both in the sense of 3 years of living in Charlottesville v NYC, and what do you want for yourself employment wise for a long time after.

And of course, if your GPA is over 3.75, TCR is to retake the damn LSAT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”