Is UCLA worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck

Re: Is UCLA worth it?

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
bruin91 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I'd rather go to Hastings/Davis at close to or at fullride. Though retaking is the best option.

When you're not a 0L you'll understand. Taking out 6 figures for a non T13 is flat out moronic.

Being 60K+ in debt with no job sucks hard too. Going to one of those schools and taking on debt to cover cost of living would be flat out moronic.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:46 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
bruin91 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I'd rather go to Hastings/Davis at close to or at fullride. Though retaking is the best option.

When you're not a 0L you'll understand. Taking out 6 figures for a non T13 is flat out moronic.

When you go to Hastings and you're underemployed for years after graduation, you'll understand.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:26 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
bruin91 wrote:

When you go to Hastings and you're underemployed for years after graduation, you'll understand.

I'll take Hastings with 60K over UCLA with 160K. Although I wouldn't take either if I had the option to retake, which is exactly what I said in my original post. If you think that UCLA is some secret gateway to jobs you're most likely a 0L.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:34 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

I'll take Hastings with 60K over UCLA with 160K. Although I wouldn't take either if I had the option to retake, which is exactly what I said in my original post. If you think that UCLA is some secret gateway to jobs you're most likely a 0L.

Oh, I don't. And if you actually read our posts, you would see that we are quite informed as to UCLA's own underemployment issues, and I for one provide a pretty strict warning in favor of other T13's when confronted with $100K+ cost. If you want biglaw out of UCLA, you are even more likely to be disappointed. However, your 0L trashing is of the worst kind. You don't even try to engage in an informed conversation or perform the bare minimum of READING what was posted. Then you advocate for UC Hastings, which is a total non-sequator, and just say "0L's you don't get it". So fucking tired of reading that bullshit. Contribute something or get lost

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:36 pm

You literally said that spending $100,001 for a school like Vanderbilt (or the equivalent) is moronic and then implied that spending 60K for Hastings is preferable. Come on bro, you have a numbered L and everything! Stop it with the nonsense.

Hastings and Davis are really bad choices if you actually want to be a lawyer, at this point I don't think I would spend anything to attend either of those dumpster fires unless I had a guaranteed job lined up.

160K is certainly too much to pay for UCLA, I think almost any reasonable person (even those clueless 0Ls in this thread) would agree.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Damn, scooped

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:37 pm

BigZuck wrote:Damn, scooped

np bro. hastings ftw

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Oh, I don't. And if you actually read our posts, you would see that we are quite informed as to UCLA's own underemployment issues, and I for one provide a pretty strict warning in favor of other T13's when confronted with $100K+ cost. If you want biglaw out of UCLA, you are even more likely to be disappointed. However, your 0L trashing is of the worst kind. You don't even try to engage in an informed conversation or perform the bare minimum of READING what was posted. Then you advocate for UC Hastings, which is a total non-sequator, and just say "0L's you don't get it". So fucking tired of reading that bullshit. Contribute something or get lost

Silly rabbit, basic RC would (once again) show that I advocate retake, but if it wasn't possible I would rather take 60K with PI interest at Davis/Hastings than 160K with PI interest with UCLA. UCLA is not worth an extra 100K over Davis/Hastings, though, and I'll repeat this AGAIN for you, I don't advocate either and think retaking is the best option.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:13 pm

So the guy invoking RC is the one incapable of comprehending the very core of what someone else has written?

Some of these numbered L's really need to stick to the lounge if this is the best they can do when they try and post in the on topics.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Back on topic: yes OP, retake, especially because you are open to it. The sky is pretty much the limit with such a sweet gpa and TLS has plenty of resources to bump that score up.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:24 pm

I would retake, my friend! I understand the urgency and the disappointment of having to wait another year but I think it will be better! I have no experience with this, but it is what my gut tells me. I am confident you can improve on that LSAT score.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:30 pm

StillIll wrote:I would retake, my friend! I understand the urgency and the disappointment of having to wait another year but I think it will be better! I have no experience with this, but it is what my gut tells me. I am confident you can improve on that LSAT score.

I actually do have experience with this. Last year I was facing the much-maligned Hastings at basically sticker, this year I had USC with 120K, UCLA with around the same, T14s with solid scholarships, etc.

Never heard someone say they regretted retaking and reapplying.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:36 pm

BigZuck wrote:
StillIll wrote:I would retake, my friend! I understand the urgency and the disappointment of having to wait another year but I think it will be better! I have no experience with this, but it is what my gut tells me. I am confident you can improve on that LSAT score.

I actually do have experience with this. Last year I was facing the much-maligned Hastings at basically sticker, this year I had USC with 120K, UCLA with around the same, T14s with solid scholarships, etc.

+1 (not to the specific schools, but the broader concept)

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:

There you go.

I would definitely take this route. But it is easy for me to say from my shoes, of course. What was it that Tom Petty said about waiting?

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:46 pm

OP, do you have an debt from college?

md22

Postby md22 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:50 pm

Sorry I haven't been able to respond very frequently, been busy at work. I have about 10k in UG loans from Cal. Also, should I factor in SA pay to the COA? I'm not really sure how that works but I've read of people knocking off some debt by using their SA earnings. I'm open to retaking but damn it is a painful feeling to be taking another year off, although I imagine it's way less painful than having six figure debt.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:55 pm

md22 wrote:Sorry I haven't been able to respond very frequently, been busy at work. I have about 10k in UG loans from Cal. Also, should I factor in SA pay to the COA? I'm not really sure how that works but I've read of people knocking off some debt by using their SA earnings. I'm open to retaking but damn it is a painful feeling to be taking another year off, although I imagine it's way less painful than having six figure debt.

You can't assume SA pay so I wouldn't factor that in before having an offer in hand.

Also, if you take a year off and retake do you have a job you can work at while living at home to put away money. If you had something ike a 30/35K job and put away 20K + got a few points higher on the LSAT you will be in a very nice position.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:06 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
bruin91 wrote:

1Ls are no better than 0Ls

3Ls are overly pessemistic because they have incurred the full cost without reaping the full reward

10-15 year out associates didn't face this environment

I'm just gonna flip a coin

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Edit: NVM, my bad bros, wrong thread
Last edited by BigZuck on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:37 pm

BigZuck wrote:
md22 wrote:Sorry I haven't been able to respond very frequently, been busy at work. I have about 10k in UG loans from Cal. Also, should I factor in SA pay to the COA? I'm not really sure how that works but I've read of people knocking off some debt by using their SA earnings. I'm open to retaking but damn it is a painful feeling to be taking another year off, although I imagine it's way less painful than having six figure debt.

If you're on the big law train then I would go ahead and count on a 2L SA at Columbia. Because if your grades are that abysmal that big law is not in the cards then you should probably drop out anyway after 1L.

But didn't you say you might want PI out of school? If so I don't think you can really do both. I might be confusing you with someone else though and I'm on my phone and already typed this out so I'm not going to check and just going to hit "submit."

yea wrong person bro. this isn't the CLS v UCLA thread. on our phones, it happens to the best of us...

md22

Postby md22 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Hey all, just wanted to update everyone. I visited UCLA recently and have to say that it's absolutely gorgeous. That said, I've more or less decided that I will be withdrawing and retaking. It's a painful decision since I was set on going this year, but I just can't justify taking on that much debt. I haven't "left it all on the field" with retakes still available. Any advice on how to study for a retake? I'd like to take it in October which gives me three months and change to prepare. I'm planning on signing up for a Kaplan prep class that runs from August to October.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:08 pm

md22 wrote:Hey all, just wanted to update everyone. I visited UCLA recently and have to say that it's absolutely gorgeous. That said, I've more or less decided that I will be withdrawing and retaking. It's a painful decision since I was set on going this year, but I just can't justify taking on that much debt. I haven't "left it all on the field" with retakes still available. Any advice on how to study for a retake? I'd like to take it in October which gives me three months and change to prepare. I'm planning on signing up for a Kaplan prep class that runs from August to October.

I wouldn't do Kaplan but other than that, good call dood

md22

Postby md22 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:21 pm

rad lulz wrote:
md22 wrote:Hey all, just wanted to update everyone. I visited UCLA recently and have to say that it's absolutely gorgeous. That said, I've more or less decided that I will be withdrawing and retaking. It's a painful decision since I was set on going this year, but I just can't justify taking on that much debt. I haven't "left it all on the field" with retakes still available. Any advice on how to study for a retake? I'd like to take it in October which gives me three months and change to prepare. I'm planning on signing up for a Kaplan prep class that runs from August to October.

Any advice on which prep company is best?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:27 pm

md22 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Any advice on which prep company is best?

powerscore and blueprint are the go-to's. I did powerscore and I found a few of the lessons helpful, the rest dumb, but the materials were very useful and the environment encouraged me to PT several times a week.

don't do kaplan or PR

ETA: also there's a lot of valuable information in the LSAT thread on this site. some people just prep using that and don't even need courses (remember, these classes run $1200+, so there's a financial consideration.)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”