Is UCLA worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
md22

Is UCLA worth it?

Postby md22 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi all, was recently admitted off the WL at UCLA and received a decent amount of money in scholarships/grants. COA before interest will be about $135,000. While I really like the idea of going to UCLA and think it's a good school, I'm anxious about taking on that much debt and am wondering if it's worth it. Obviously retake/reapply is an option, but I'm curious what everyone thinks about this. Is attending UCLA justifiable at that price?

sinfiery

Re: Is UCLA worth it?

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Depends on your situation. It can be.

Numbers? Alternative career paths? Goals with a JD? Where do you want to live/work?

md22

Postby md22 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:20 pm

Numbers: 164/3.8 (GPA is main reason to retake)
Goals: very interested in becoming an ADA/crim law
Alternatives/opportunity cost: pretty low, currently working as an administrative assistant at a Fortune 500 in the Bay Area

I want to live and work in the LA area. I'm originally from the Bay Area, so I have CA ties as well.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:21 pm

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:28 pm

md22 wrote:Numbers: 164/3.8 (GPA is main reason to retake)
Alternatives/opportunity cost: pretty low, currently working as an administrative assistant at a Fortune 500 in the Bay Area

I want to live and work in the LA area. I'm originally from the Bay Area, so I have CA ties as well.

You got an okay deal at UCLA and going is definitely a viable option given your goals. If you think you can improve by 4 or more points, then I think retake/reapply is a great option. How did you study to get the 164?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:35 pm

goldbh7 wrote:

You got an okay deal at UCLA and going is definitely a viable option given your goals. If you think you can improve by 4 or more points, then I think retake/reapply is a great option. How did you study to get the 164?

This

Though if you are at all thinking about private practice (and apparently most law students start out PI focused but end up aiming for private practice) at all, you should retake unless you put in a solid 4-6 months and scored near the high-end of your PT average

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:37 pm

$135k before interest?

What would that be with interest?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Congrats on UCLA with a 164. Medians are droppin like its hot these days.

164 was my first score. I probably would have ended up at USC sticker or worse if I hadn't retaken (I didn't actually apply, just waited a year and studied again). I think you could pay $135K for UCLA and it wouldn't be the worst thing, but you don't have to. You could very well retake, and the fact that you are open to it suggests that you know its a good route.

You could end up at a T13 w/ good $$ or CCN if you hit 170+ with a 3.8.

y2zipper

Postby y2zipper » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Definite retake if you can, even if it's just for more money. UCLA isn't bad but betting 135K plus interest on the CA government or CA in general without a fallback isn't something I'd recommend ITE.

With a higher score, you could snag a t-14 acceptance with money and do that or leverage it for more dollars at UCLA if you really want to go there.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:$135k before interest?

Like 225k...assuming a 10 year standard payment plan.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:47 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:

Yeah, that is way too much for UCLA. I advise retake.

md22

Postby md22 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I am open to retaking, since taking on that much debt isn't exactly something I'm excited about.

My concern about retaking is this: if I retake and don't do any better, I'll be reapplying to UCLA again with the same stats. There is no guarantee that I will be accepted in that scenario, and I'll potentially be in a worse position than I am in now. The potential upside of retaking is huge, however, if I can improve my score by several points. In that scenario I'd likely be readmitted to UCLA, potentially with more money. I also might have better options.

It's a really tough call. While the debt is frightening, I'm also anxious about withdrawing from UCLA, retaking, and being worse off if I don't improve my score.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:59 pm

md22 wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I am open to retaking, since taking on that much debt isn't exactly something I'm excited about.

My concern about retaking is this: if I retake and don't do any better, I'll be reapplying to UCLA again with the same stats. There is no guarantee that I will be accepted in that scenario, and I'll potentially be in a worse position than I am in now. The potential upside of retaking is huge, however, if I can improve my score by several points. In that scenario I'd likely be readmitted to UCLA, potentially with more money. I also might have better options.

It's a really tough call. While the debt is frightening, I'm also anxious about withdrawing from UCLA, retaking, and being worse off if I don't improve my score.

I don't think it'll hurt you. I can't imagine law school applications going up next year either, if anything, they should continue to drop. I was really lucky that I got into the school I did with as much money as I did, otherwise I'd be retaking too.

Worst thing that could happen is you end up in the same position. Otherwise, you're probably looking at more money, maybe even Boalt if you get a high enough LSAT.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:07 pm

CA is a shit hole.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:09 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:CA is a shit hole.

That is also a fact to consider.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
BerkeleyBear wrote:CA is a shit hole.

That is also a fact to consider.

Yep. Pick your poison. Nice weather and great mexican food though.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:41 am

ManoftheHour wrote:

That is not right. Using mental math and assuming that the amount borrowed increases about 3% each year from 1L, it's roughly 160k owed at repayment. If you're talking total repaid, you might be right, but that's not the question posed.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59 am

jenesaislaw wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

That is not right. Using mental math and assuming that the amount borrowed increases about 3% each year from 1L, it's roughly 160k owed at repayment. If you're talking total repaid, you might be right, but that's not the question posed.

Yeah, I was doing total repaid using the 10 year standard payment plan. It's a little high. It's actually 210k with that plan. Shouldn't we assume COA with the total paid though? I mean, that is what is it going to cost, right?

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:13 am

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:21 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

Yeah, I was doing total repaid using the 10 year standard payment plan. It's a little high. It's actually 210k with that plan. Shouldn't we assume COA with the total paid though? I mean, that is what is it going to cost, right?

In a real cost-benefit analysis, yes, we should. It's a little complicated for a message board where people continually ask the same types of questions, though.

This is something I plan to add to LST this summer for next year's cycle. Maybe then it'll be a little easier for people to recite over and over in threads. The issue, as I see it at least, is that it's not so clear what to do with that overall number. With the amount owed at repayment, it's obvious: how much your loan payments will be. It's also easier at that point to translate that number into future numbers based on different repayment plans and career paths -- but people need to know to do this and need to know how to do it.

Edited to Ask: Is the 210k factoring interest accrued before repayment?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:23 am

165k COA includes interest @ 3.5% tuition increase rate

Better to retake but it isn't terrible op

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:27 am

For a 164/3.8 at that COA who still has retakes left? No.

Retake, enjoy a better school for the same price or cheaper.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:48 am

I'd rather go to Hastings/Davis at close to or at fullride. Though retaking is the best option.

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:01 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I'd rather go to Hastings/Davis at close to or at fullride. Though retaking is the best option.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:30 pm

bruin91 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I'd rather go to Hastings/Davis at close to or at fullride. Though retaking is the best option.

When you're not a 0L you'll understand. Taking out 6 figures for a non T13 is flat out moronic.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”