Columbia (small grant) vs UCLA (full ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What you think?

UCLA
32%
Columbia
68%

Total votes: 71

ph5354a

Re: Columbia (small grant) vs UCLA (full ride)

Postby ph5354a » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:23 pm

StillIll wrote:God dammit, I am reading Biglaw horror story articles / threads, and I am psyching myself out. Are there any Biglaw glory story / threads? ... he asked, masking his seriousness with a muffled laugh

Hah, that's what initially made me waiver from CLS and run towards Cornell (ended up picking CLS). It is terrifying, no doubt. Fwiw, I spoke to about 3-4 young associates that I knew in real life and none of their stories were as bad as what I had heard on TLS. I think there's sort of a selection bias here in terms of who is most vocal about their experiences, which is not to say that they are exaggerating or anything.

I'm an 0L like you, but my only advice would be to find people to talk to in person in big law, even if you don't know them well. You'll get a much better sense and being able to have a conversation about big law, rather than just read horrible things online, should answer more of your questions about it. Though maybe I tricked myself into believing what I wanted to believe...

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:29 pm

StillIll wrote:God dammit, I am reading Biglaw horror story articles / threads, and I am psyching myself out. Are there any Biglaw glory story / threads? ... he asked, masking his seriousness with a muffled laugh

Again, I'm 0L, but here's what you have to consider with all things: There's tradeoffs. With Biglaw, there's a lot...a lot of money. Part of that is due to the big time clients you're working with. But, part of it is also with the stresses and pressures of the job. It's tough work. You're gonna put in lots of hours, and nothing's for certain.

But if you stick with it, you get your foot in the door right and suddenly your life is pretty much secure.

Me, personally, I'd be alright with doing Biglaw, but it isn't my main goal. I'm going to WUSTL because I plan to return to Nebraska and practice at one of the law firms like the one my mom is a secretary at. Good firms, but not biglaw.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:30 pm

You'll have to wait 10 years to hear about mine. And about 20 for the feature length motion picture film to be in theaters.

jbagelboy wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
untar614 wrote:damn, I need to get richer parents

For clarification purposes, I'd like to note that because I went through undergrad for a total COA of $50k (when my parents were prepared to cover up to $200k), there's $150k left over that went straight into the law school pot. My parents are also older (they're later in their careers, and they've had a while for their investments to grow), and my father is old enough to receive Social Security, which is also going directly in the pot. Not trying to sound butthurt, just don't want to give you the wrong idea. My family isn't cash-strapped (as I've said before, we're decidedly upper-middle class), but the ability to pay sticker is more about a set of fortuitous circumstances than the fabulous wealth of my parents.

no problem, bro. no need to justify the awesome-ness of your situation. this isn't diversity week.

The real question is, how much are your parents giving your for housing?? can you get a $3-3.5K/month place in lionsgate? you should totally deck out one of those penthouses across the street from St Johns. I visited it during ASW, damn dude, so nice. If my parents had their shit together and could pay for my law school, ahh man. Instead I've been scrambling to get the nicest apartment for my $. Call Juliana Utley ASAP she's super friendly.

ETA: you have to invite me and my SO over if you get one of the above tho. We'll make tamarind margaritas on the balcony and shoot the shit

I wanna come shoot the shit

Edit: the skills I will bring into this equation since cocktails are covered. I'm an excellent cook, I can perform just about anything you've seen Vin Diesel do with 4-wheeled vehicles in any of the 6 fantastic Fast & Furious films he's done, and I'm a dead-eye shot. You may retain one of these services for free in exchange for balcony access.

Edit 2: My marksmanship skills may not be retained for crime. Neither can my driving.... nor my cooking.

Reposting this here to increase the visibility of my desire to be part of this developing bro-hang.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Tekrul wrote:

You'll have to wait 10 years to hear about mine. And about 20 for the feature length motion picture film to be in theaters.

jbagelboy wrote:
untar614 wrote:damn, I need to get richer parents

For clarification purposes, I'd like to note that because I went through undergrad for a total COA of $50k (when my parents were prepared to cover up to $200k), there's $150k left over that went straight into the law school pot. My parents are also older (they're later in their careers, and they've had a while for their investments to grow), and my father is old enough to receive Social Security, which is also going directly in the pot. Not trying to sound butthurt, just don't want to give you the wrong idea. My family isn't cash-strapped (as I've said before, we're decidedly upper-middle class), but the ability to pay sticker is more about a set of fortuitous circumstances than the fabulous wealth of my parents.

no problem, bro. no need to justify the awesome-ness of your situation. this isn't diversity week.

The real question is, how much are your parents giving your for housing?? can you get a $3-3.5K/month place in lionsgate? you should totally deck out one of those penthouses across the street from St Johns. I visited it during ASW, damn dude, so nice. If my parents had their shit together and could pay for my law school, ahh man. Instead I've been scrambling to get the nicest apartment for my $. Call Juliana Utley ASAP she's super friendly.

ETA: you have to invite me and my SO over if you get one of the above tho. We'll make tamarind margaritas on the balcony and shoot the shit

I wanna come shoot the shit

Edit: the skills I will bring into this equation since cocktails are covered. I'm an excellent cook, I can perform just about anything you've seen Vin Diesel do with 4-wheeled vehicles in any of the 6 fantastic Fast & Furious films he's done, and I'm a dead-eye shot. You may retain one of these services for free in exchange for balcony access.

Edit 2: My marksmanship skills may not be retained for crime. Neither can my driving.... nor my cooking.

Reposting this here to increase the visibility of my desire to be part of this developing bro-hang.

k Tekrul's got the grub. Don't worry, you're the original columbia bro.

hopefully we won't all pussy out IRL and pretend we don't have TLS accounts

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:46 pm

jbagelboy wrote: no problem, bro. no need to justify the awesome-ness of your situation. this isn't diversity week.

Tekrul wrote:I wanna come shoot the shit

TLS party at my not-yet-existent apartment. Free booze for anyone who can cook anything edible.

jbagelboy wrote:

I'm gonna go the other direction and mention it frequently, because I'm hoping being a TLS frequenter is the least weird thing people will assume about me once it becomes obvious I'm a neurotic gunner (better than the arrogant gunners who can never shut up in class, but still). "I promise I'm not socially retarded, I just spend a lot of time on internet message boards."

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Fletcher Reede from Liar Liar won his case, his wife's love, and his son's affection. That was 1997, which I think is the last time anyone on the partner track was happy.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:"I promise I'm not socially retarded, I just spend a lot of time on internet message boards."

Every time I mention "the law school forum" my friends' eyes glaze over and I feel my social capital drop

It's chill I am still certain I am chill bro-ess

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Fletcher Reede from Liar Liar won his case, his wife's love, and his son's affection. That was 1997, which I think is the last time anyone on the partner track was happy.

I lol'd.

But, Fletcher did blow his partner track to bits. "I've had better" all the way to "I HOLD MYSELF IN CONTEMPT".

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Hopefully I don't end up "kicking my own ass!!"

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Tekrul wrote:

I lol'd.

But, Fletcher did blow his partner track to bits. "I've had better" all the way to "I HOLD MYSELF IN CONTEMPT".

Definitely just watched this clip again.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote: no problem, bro. no need to justify the awesome-ness of your situation. this isn't diversity week.

Tekrul wrote:I wanna come shoot the shit

TLS party at my not-yet-existent apartment. Free booze for anyone who can cook anything edible.

jbagelboy wrote:

I'm gonna go the other direction and mention it frequently, because I'm hoping being a TLS frequenter is the least weird thing people will assume about me once it becomes obvious I'm a neurotic gunner (better than the arrogant gunners who can never shut up in class, but still). "I promise I'm not socially retarded, I just spend a lot of time on internet message boards."

Hahaha, love it. Yeah, I'm definitely the neurotic type too. And don't worry, I'll show you guys some good, easy meals to cook up. Had to learn once I left home as I was committed to keep eating healthy. I just hope I can get all the food choices I want in Manhattan. At least I should be able to find places that sell chopped liver again! And I've already outed myself to people at other ASW's, so idgaf about that - as long as hiring partners don't know who I am, we all good.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:23 pm

I'd totally come and chill, but what is Columbia, like on 199th st or something? The village is just so awesome and Washington square park outside my window... :mrgreen:

Oh well, maybe when were all associates

untar614

Postby untar614 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:35 pm

sinfiery wrote:I'd totally come and chill, but what is Columbia, like on 199th st or something? The village is just so awesome and Washington square park outside my window... :mrgreen:

It's like a 30 minute ride on the red 1, straight shot, no train changes. I got a buddy starting at NYU law in the fall along with a few who started there last year, so it was good to know its actually really easy for people from either school to get to the other to hang out.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:41 pm

untar614 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:I'd totally come and chill, but what is Columbia, like on 199th st or something? The village is just so awesome and Washington square park outside my window... :mrgreen:

It's like a 30 minute ride on the red 1, straight shot, no train changes. I got a buddy starting at NYU law in the fall along with a few who started there last year, so it was good to know its actually really easy for people from either school to get to the other to hang out.

Sinf, your a part of this bro. And I can second the do-ability of the commute. Also ill be in the village every week.. my SO is going to NYU & my family has a place off bleeker about 10min walk from washington sq

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Nice :)

I may or may not have recently wasted 3-4 fares in two days trying to get to Brooklyn on train changes I didn't know about (that tourist life)

Nice jbagel, we are definitely gonna have some TLS meetups. I'll be in on it more in about a month once I get home.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:49 pm

On that note, sinf, I'll actually be about 10 minutes away from NYU where my SO is in UG but 1 hour away from Columbia. You Villagers might just be my weekend crowd.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:30 pm

I liked how we just turned this thread into vague plans to meet up in New York.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Last edited by StillIll on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Last edited by StillIll on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Though disclaimer, there is a chance I'll never real who I am in person. Keep ya'll guessing.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:17 pm

They'll just start bashing blue fields and mashed potatoes. Shouldn't take long :D

untar614

Postby untar614 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:19 pm

StillIll wrote:Though disclaimer, there is a chance I'll never real who I am in person. Keep ya'll guessing.

We'll find out once you succumb to our meetup plans and join us, then everyone else says who they are, leaving only you by process of elimination.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:24 pm

sinfiery wrote:They'll just start bashing blue fields and mashed potatoes. Shouldn't take long :D

Now that this is over, I can come clean again... I totally lied about where I'm from. Though not with the intention of misleading my fellow TLSers... I was paranoid about schools reading and etc. It was a weird and frantic time. Though granted I am from somewhere nearish ^^.

For the record, I'm actually totally down to meet up beforehand. That actually sounds amazing. I'm waiting to find out my housing assignment.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:11 pm

The bird is the word.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”