Santa Clara or USF

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mvonh001

Re: Santa Clara or USF

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:50 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Oh man, MTG flashbacks. No way I'm the only one on these boards who used to be really into that.

Na, me and my crew, in 3rd-5th grade would tear people up in magic, we would go to tournaments and everything... I contribute my intelligence to me playing magic the gathering... It is a great strategy game.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:22 am

My first and only MTG experience, from my middle school days: we both started off with 20 life points. Somehow, I ended up losing like 36-0. Not sure how that's even possible.

I ragequit, called them all dateless nerds, and went back to my D&D campaign.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 am

bananasplit19 wrote:My first and only MTG experience, from my middle school days: we both started off with 20 life points. Somehow, I ended up losing like 36-0. Not sure how that's even possible.

I never got into D&D, idk why, I wanna say because I was too cool for that, but I was playing MTG and building computers/xbox's, so I won't say that. lol *Even though i do think i was too cool for that.

Have you seen the D&D movie with marlan and shawn wayans?

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:35 am

mvonh001 wrote:Have you seen the D&D movie with marlan and shawn wayans?

No, such a movie never existed. Shut up. I don't care. No. Goway.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:16 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:My first and only MTG experience, from my middle school days: we both started off with 20 life points. Somehow, I ended up losing like 36-0. Not sure how that's even possible.

True story: Us MTG kids used to call D&D kids "nerds." Think about that: something so nerdy even the kids who play MTG look down at you. It never really struck me as ridiculous the way it does now.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:39 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

True story: Us MTG kids used to call D&D kids "nerds." Think about that: something so nerdy even the kids who play MTG look down at you. It never really struck me as ridiculous the way it does now.

I still don't see it as ridiculous. I dabbled in MTG and Warhammer back in the day, though never really got too into either. But I liked them as competitive games. Now, my perception of DnD could be totally off, but it struck me as kinda antisocial. Not that MTG or warhammer are super cool social things, but DnD seemed to reflect and/or reinforce a type of social weirdness because it wasn't a competitive game - it was "playing fantasy".

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:46 pm

Somehow referring to the game where you team up with your friends to have fun, imagine your own creative scenarios and act out the fantasy together as "antisocial", as opposed to the game where you marshal resources to "kill" all other competitors, seems like something only law students would do.

I had no idea, but when I was 10, I was already gunning in my own little way.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:12 pm

I guess the way I see it, something like MTG is meant as a competitive endeavor, not as a social event, so it has no inherent bearing on one's sociability - they may be doing totally different stuff for socializing. DnD, however, I see as something that is done as a social thing, so it does have bearing there, but as far as social things to do, it seems like kind of a weird one, since it involves playing make-believe, and not in like a video game sense, and often for people who are ostensibly too old to be playing pretend in that vein. Now if MTG card shop stuff was what someone did for socializing, then there would be less of a difference. I know that may be kind of confusing and unclear, but that's just my perception of it.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Number of Community episodes (featuring the lovely Alison Brie) centered around AD&D: 1
Number of Community episodes centered around MTG: 0

Disclaimer: I haven't played D&D since 2006 (back when it was 2nd edition AD&D). But to preserve my nerd cred, I still have my bag of dice.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:17 pm

untar614 wrote:I guess the way I see it, something like MTG is meant as a competitive endeavor, not as a social event, so it has no inherent bearing on one's sociability - they may be doing totally different stuff for socializing. DnD, however, I see as something that is done as a social thing, so it does have bearing there, but as far as social things to do, it seems like kind of a weird one, since it involves playing make-believe, and not in like a video game sense, and often for people who are ostensibly too old to be playing pretend in that vein. Now if MTG card shop stuff was what someone did for socializing, then there would be less of a difference. I know that may be kind of confusing and unclear, but that's just my perception of it.

TCR

froglee

Postby froglee » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:00 am

Heard that Santa Clara ranked 1 in Patent law.....I know people who chose Santa Clara over Yale.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:00 pm

NVM retake bro

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:17 pm

yunstation wrote:I'm also thinking about transfer out , maybe to hastings or loyola if I didn't get in from the waitlist...

Don't go to HasTTTTings.

At the very least, you should retake for a fat scholly at UC Davis.

jasonbound

Postby jasonbound » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:24 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
yunstation wrote:I'm also thinking about transfer out , maybe to hastings or loyola if I didn't get in from the waitlist...

Don't go to HasTTTTings.

At the very least, you should retake for a fat scholly at UC Davis.

Serious question, is Hastings that bad? I'm aiming for Berkeley (hoping for a good score to offset GPA) or UCLA but I wanted to also be in a position where my safeties would be Hastings and Davis.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:28 pm

jasonbound wrote:
Serious question, is Hastings that bad? I'm aiming for Berkeley (hoping for a good score to offset GPA) or UCLA but I wanted to also be in a position where my safeties would be Hastings and Davis.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=hastings

46.3% full time bar passage legal employment - 7.4% school funded = 39%

Look at that underemployment category. It's over 40%. That means you're more likely to be underemployed than working a full time legal job of any kind.

At least Davis is at 60% full time bar passage legal employment and only 27.7% underemployment:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=davis

Davis would make sense at the right price.

Hastings, however, is a true definition of a TTTT.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:17 pm

jasonbound wrote:

I've found Hastings to be fantastic and love living in San Francisco, but if it isn't your dream school then you should go to whatever your dream school is instead. If your heart is set on UCLA then keep on applying there until you get in. Ultimately, the main things that will affect what kind of job you get are where you have worked in the past, what you majored in, how good at taking law school exams you are, and how much social capital you have (friends/family who work in law). Those things aren't going to change regardless of where you go.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”