Santa Clara or USF

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yunstation

Santa Clara or USF

Postby yunstation » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:03 am

Please help!
I'm debating if I should go Santa Clara or USF, I'm also on the waiting list for Loyola (L.A) but it's time for me to pay the second deposit so please give me some opinions about which one I should choose. I would like to stay in California after law school.

Santa Clara
Pros: better ranking
cheaper rent ( about 800-1000 per month)
Cons: only gave me 10k for scholarship
I don't really like the city.

USF
Pros: gave me 25k for scholarship
I like to stay in San Francisco more
Cons: expensive rent (about 1100-1300 per month)
lower ranking than Santa Clara

P.s-> I have heard from older people that Santa Clara is better jobwise? Is this true? I'm not sure what kind of law I want to pursue yet.

Please give me some of your opinions.
Thank you so much!!!

information added
My family will pay half for my tuition and the other half will be loans. I'm currently in California and I will like to stay in California, there is a chance I will go back to Asia. I got 152 on my first LSAT and 158 on my second take, my GPA is 3.35. I will probably not going to work or work in my Fiance's company after law school, but I still want to choose a better school out of those two as a back up.
Last edited by yunstation on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Bear 11

Re: Santa Clara or USF

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:08 am

Neither. RETAKE

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 am

You need to do all this before posting in this forum: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299

But yes, the correct answer is neither. These are two of the very worst law schools in this country. I would only go to one of them if they were free AND I had a guaranteed job as a lawyer. I'm talking like joining your dad's firm or something.

Really, please, don't do it. You probably won't get a job, you will be saddled to hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt, and you will certainly not get a job that could pay off that debt.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:05 am

BigZuck beat me to it. Please give us more info.

I'll just note in advance that you are unlikely to ever work as a lawyer if you attend either of these schools. Job placement out of either one is atrociously bad.

yunstation wrote:I have heard from older people that Santa Clara is better jobwise? Is this true?

Yes, it's true -- in the same way that you're probably better off stabbing yourself in the gut than stabbing yourself in the face.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:13 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

yunstation

Postby yunstation » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 am

BigZuck wrote:You need to do all this before posting in this forum: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=206299

But yes, the correct answer is neither. These are two of the very worst law schools in this country. I would only go to one of them if they were free AND I had a guaranteed job as a lawyer. I'm talking like joining your dad's firm or something.

Really, please, don't do it. You probably won't get a job, you will be saddled to hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt, and you will certainly not get a job that could pay off that debt.

Thanks for your reply.
My family will pay half for my tuition and the other half will be loans. I'm currently in California and I will like to stay in California, there is also a chance I will go back to Asia. I got 152 on my first LSAT and 158 on my second take, my GPA is 3.35. I will probably not going to work or work in my Fiance's company after law school, but I still want to choose a better school out of those two as a back up.
Please let me know if I must choose one of it while waiting for loyola, which one would be the better one?
If I want to transfer to another law school after the first year, which one would be the better choice?

thanks you!

yunstation

Postby yunstation » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:17 am

BigZuck wrote:You need to do all this before posting in this forum: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=206299

Thanks for your reply.
My family will pay half for my tuition and the other half will be loans. I'm currently in California and I will like to stay in California, there is also a chance I will go back to Asia. I got 152 on my first LSAT and 158 on my second take, my GPA is 3.35. I will probably not going to work or work in my Fiance's company after law school, but I still want to choose a better school out of those two as a back up.
Please let me know if I must choose one of it while waiting for loyola, which one would be the better one?
I'm also thinking about transfer out , maybe to hastings or loyola if I didn't get in from the waitlist...

thanks you!

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:42 am

yunstation wrote:Thanks for your reply.
My family will pay half for my tuition and the other half will be loans. I'm currently in California and I will like to stay in California, there is also a chance I will go back to Asia. I got 152 on my first LSAT and 158 on my second take, my GPA is 3.35.

Retake. If you can study your ass off and raise your LSAT another 10 points, which is definitely doable, you'll have vastly better options than either USF or SC.

yunstation wrote:I will probably not going to work or work in my Fiance's company after law school, but I still want to choose a better school out of those two as a back up.

Can you clarify this? Do you mean that you will not be working as a lawyer, or will be working in your fiance's company? If so, what kind of company does your fiance have, and why do you need to go to law school to work there?

yunstation wrote:Please let me know if I must choose one of it while waiting for loyola, which one would be the better one?

You don't have to, and shouldn't, choose either of those schools. There is no reason to go to either USF or SC, neither have good job prospects--nor does Loyola, for that matter. Look at these links:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=sanfranciso
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=santaclara
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola

USF gives you a 1 in 5 chance of actually having a full time, long term, bar passage required job--i.e. a 1 in 5 chance of actually working as an attorney--nine months after graduating. Both SC and Loyola give you less than a 50% chance of same. None of these schools is worth your money or your time.

yunstation wrote:If I want to transfer to another law school after the first year, which one would be the better choice?

Transferring is extremely difficult--as in, you have to be one of the top couple people in the entire school, and even then there's no guarantee. It's much, much easier to retake the LSAT. Do not go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from. Do not waste your time and money on any of these schools. Retake, reapply, and put yourself in a better position for the future.

Postby 052220151 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:10 am

Retake mang.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:14 am

This sounds suspiciously like a flame. On the off chance that it's not, OP, don't go to either of these schools.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:27 am

Ti Malice wrote:
yunstation wrote:I have heard from older people that Santa Clara is better jobwise? Is this true?

Yes, it's true -- in the same way that you're probably better off stabbing yourself in the gut than stabbing yourself in the face.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:46 am

As others have noted, neither option is objectively good in a vacuum. :oops: If you absolutely (1) need to go to law school; (2) in the Bay Area; (3) with the safety net of your fiance's company as a fallback, I would recommend SCU over USF if those were your only options. After several years working in the Bay Area legal market, I'd be willing to say that SCU isn't as far down the pecking order as TLS makes it, especially if you're IP...but it's still pretty far down.

BUT! It seems like you're considering law school as a distraction, a secondary option, or, worst of all, grad school for the sake of grad school. You don't seem committed to NorCal, which is the only region you'd have even a slim chance of nabbing a job; in fact, you don't even seem committed to being in the country altogether! It sounds like you have other career and lifestyle options that sound more attractive than a half-hearted try at law school (at six-figure debt, to boot), whether it's working at your fiance's company, going back to Asia, or being a stay-at-home. Call me unambitious, but if I had those options, I wouldn't risk my money on law! :lol:

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:22 pm

yunstation wrote: I will probably not going to work or work in my Fiance's company after law school, but I still want to choose a better school out of those two as a back up.

Please clarify what you mean by this. But regardless, you should retake the LSAT and aim for much better schools. The California legal market is unbelievably saturated, and TTTs like Santa Clara and USF aren't going to cut it.

froglee

Postby froglee » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Both are worthless trash schools in CA. Don't waste your parents money on these schools

jackmf419

Postby jackmf419 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:30 pm

OP, you should definitely create a poll. with retake being the only option.

sap

Postby sap » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:05 pm

If you want to go back to Asia, USF may actually be a less-terrible option. They do a lot of abroad work in China with big IP firms over there.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:25 am

Both are awful. Don't go to either of these schools.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:27 am

sap wrote:If you want to go back to Asia, USF may actually be a less-terrible option. They do a lot of abroad work in China with big IP firms over there.

Still, a pretty terrible option unless you have unreal ties.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:44 pm

sap wrote:If you want to go back to Asia, USF may actually be a less-terrible option. They do a lot of abroad work in China with big IP firms over there.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:22 pm

Paralegal school is a more lucrative option than either of these schools.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:39 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sausageandeggslover

Postby sausageandeggslover » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:44 am

deleted

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:43 am

:roll:

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 am

bananasplit19 wrote:Image
:roll:

Love the throwback magic the gathering card...

I just, out of pure nostalgia for the game, remade a green deck to play with buddies from high school with...
ETA: with all OG cards, none of the new crap that has come out..
Last edited by mvonh001 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:49 am

Oh man, MTG flashbacks. No way I'm the only one on these boards who used to be really into that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”