Had a Full Ride at a T2 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cobretti

Gold

Re: Had a Full Ride at a T2

Post by Cobretti » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:47 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:I think we should be more focused on acid = lsat success. New conventional wisdom should be drop acid, retake, ED UVA
It was a long time ago so I don't remember which day that week, but def not the night before. I've never personally had an acid trip or done street E, only done MDMA. So I cannot attest to the street shit's impact several days down the road as far as test performance is concerned, but I know I don't have the raw intellectual firepower to do mollys and come down for a 4+ hr exam. Stimulants are a different ballgame tho, and lots of people snort vivance or addy's prior to the LSAT

The idea is that if you have a ridiculously high IQ and very strong reading/reasoning faculties, if you take a little time to understand how logic games work, you can score well on the LSAT. The same does not go for getting a 39 on the MCAT
I still think it was the acid

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Again, the fact that a very small percentage of people can ace the LSAT without trying does not make it an easy test. My point was that there are many more people who couldn't get a 170 even if they tried very hard. Comparably, there are fewer people who flat-out couldn't get a decent score on the MCAT, because there is more brute-force memory involved (even if, yes, the test is still mostly composed of things involved reasoning skills).

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:32 pm

More people would be willing to retake and reapply if there weren't a hundred shitty law schools out there that will accept anyone with a pulse and a BA. People study for the MCAT because they HAVE TO in order to become a doctor. The average MCAT score won't get you into med school, whereas the average LSAT score will get you into dozens of schools.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:00 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:More people would be willing to retake and reapply if there weren't a hundred shitty law schools out there that will accept anyone with a pulse and a BA. People study for the MCAT because they HAVE TO in order to become a doctor. The average MCAT score won't get you into med school, whereas the average LSAT score will get you into dozens of schools.
Agreed. Also, the populations inherently have different levels of commitment. Pretty much everyone taking the MCAT has been planning on it for years. A lot of people take the LSAT primarily because they're terrified of trying to get a job ITE with a worthless BA. I wonder what the average LSAT is for people who have been targeting law school for as long as the pre-med kids have been targeting med school.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:38 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:More people would be willing to retake and reapply if there weren't a hundred shitty law schools out there that will accept anyone with a pulse and a BA the ability to borrow money from the Federal Government. People study for the MCAT because they HAVE TO in order to become a doctor. The average MCAT score won't get you into med school, whereas the average LSAT score will get you into dozens of schools.
FTFY

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:More people would be willing to retake and reapply if there weren't a hundred shitty law schools out there that will accept anyone with a pulse and a BA. People study for the MCAT because they HAVE TO in order to become a doctor. The average MCAT score won't get you into med school, whereas the average LSAT score will get you into dozens of schools.
Agreed. Also, the populations inherently have different levels of commitment. Pretty much everyone taking the MCAT has been planning on it for years. A lot of people take the LSAT primarily because they're terrified of trying to get a job ITE with a worthless BA. I wonder what the average LSAT is for people who have been targeting law school for as long as the pre-med kids have been targeting med school.

Prelaw vs premed
Both are terrible at their respective tests

4 days out from acid isn't impressive. 178 after studying LG isn't impossible but dude clearly reads and argues.on internet forums a lot.
The LSAT is largely learned from life experiences minus LG whereas the MCAT is learned from a textbook and life experiences but likely to a lesser level.

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:38 am

DaRascal, I noticed that you said that you were upset that TLS had changed your mind about going this year. If you do choose to retake and reapply, remember how you felt now. If you're upset about the effect TLS had on your cycle, and have the same experiecne next year, take some time to take a break, don't allow yourself on the site until that deposit is sent in, and then be sure that you want what you want. I know it might sound stupid or obvious, but if you feel like TLS will make you make a decision you regret again, don't let it. I almost had a meltdown this year and did something similar (though even more risky, as I would have been turning down an almost full ride at a fairly highly ranked school despite over performing on my LSAT) to you, but I just removed myself from the forums, didn't look for a couple weeks, and came back once the deposit was sent in. Obviously, usually TLS posters make very good points about choosing law schools, but ultimately next year it will be your decision!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:48 pm

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:DaRascal, I noticed that you said that you were upset that TLS had changed your mind about going this year. If you do choose to retake and reapply, remember how you felt now. If you're upset about the effect TLS had on your cycle, and have the same experiecne next year, take some time to take a break, don't allow yourself on the site until that deposit is sent in, and then be sure that you want what you want. I know it might sound stupid or obvious, but if you feel like TLS will make you make a decision you regret again, don't let it. I almost had a meltdown this year and did something similar (though even more risky, as I would have been turning down an almost full ride at a fairly highly ranked school despite over performing on my LSAT) to you, but I just removed myself from the forums, didn't look for a couple weeks, and came back once the deposit was sent in. Obviously, usually TLS posters make very good points about choosing law schools, but ultimately next year it will be your decision!
If you have any doubts at all, you shouldn't go. If a bunch of anonymous posters in an online forum had an affect on you not attending, then you haven't figured out what you wanted to do yet and should therefore, not attend. At least not yet. Even without considering money, 3 years is a huge commitment. Regardless of your situation, it's best to face these doubts head on. If you can justify and feel confident in your decision, only then should you go.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:26 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
lawschoolwoohoo wrote:DaRascal, I noticed that you said that you were upset that TLS had changed your mind about going this year. If you do choose to retake and reapply, remember how you felt now. If you're upset about the effect TLS had on your cycle, and have the same experiecne next year, take some time to take a break, don't allow yourself on the site until that deposit is sent in, and then be sure that you want what you want. I know it might sound stupid or obvious, but if you feel like TLS will make you make a decision you regret again, don't let it. I almost had a meltdown this year and did something similar (though even more risky, as I would have been turning down an almost full ride at a fairly highly ranked school despite over performing on my LSAT) to you, but I just removed myself from the forums, didn't look for a couple weeks, and came back once the deposit was sent in. Obviously, usually TLS posters make very good points about choosing law schools, but ultimately next year it will be your decision!
If you have any doubts at all, you shouldn't go. If a bunch of anonymous posters in an online forum had an affect on you not attending, then you haven't figured out what you wanted to do yet and should therefore, not attend. At least not yet. Even without considering money, 3 years is a huge commitment. Regardless of your situation, it's best to face these doubts head on. If you can justify and feel confident in your decision, only then should you go.
I largely agree with this. Commitment to attending grad school should run more than skin deep. However, I can see how a reasonable individual with the ambition to go to law school but who had never seen any recent data could stumble upon these forums, be directed to LST/LSN, and feel discouraged. Discouraged to the point of changing their plans. Prior to browsing TLS, the only references I had for law school employment were the "172 Best Law Schools" guide, which posted $160K medians and 95%+ employment rate for every school in the T30, and my shitboomer attorney acquaintances. Now, I would not have attended several of the schools I applied to in the fall that I obviously would have attended, even maybe at close to sticker, in august 2012.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”