Had a Full Ride at a T2

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DaRascal

Had a Full Ride at a T2

Postby DaRascal » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:54 pm

Last edited by DaRascal on Mon May 05, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tekrul

Re: Had a Full Ride at a T2

Postby Tekrul » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:11 am

I'd feel a little better about this situation if you had sent in the first deposit. How much time has passed since the first one? It would seem likely that they already allocated those funds elsewhere this late in the game, but I guess there's no harm in asking other than the obvious stuff.

Just to ease the regret you're feeling, did the full ride have stips? You don't know for sure if this was a mistake at all. I felt a lot of regret when I made my choice against "following the money" but it's just a knee-jerk reaction IMO. If you passed up a full ride, I assume you had a competitive offer up elsewhere. Perhaps it is more costly but presumably has advantages that come for the cost.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:13 am

No, it would not. See what they say, but only if you are sure you wish to attend.

And yeah, free is very good!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:20 am

Your retake/reapply plan was less bad

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:41 am

jbagelboy wrote:Your retake/reapply plan was less bad

jselson

Postby jselson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:02 am

Not too late, but only if you sign your name on the email as "DaRascal."

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:58 am

DaRascal wrote:Would it be too late to call up the school and tell them that you'll unconditionally attend if it's still on the table and they allow you to send in the deposit late? The second seat deposit deadline was over two weeks ago and I didn't send in either deposit.

Just now realizing that free is good, I can kick ass there, it's close to home, and I'm better off there than anywhere else. Oh man I screwed up big time. :roll:

Lol, it doesn't hurt to try. I withdrew, then asked to attend again. I put in both deposits.

.....and now I might withdraw again. Turns out I can take the LSAT a 4th time. Also, my 3rd take should be at least 3-4 points higher than my best score so far. Not for sure, but it felt good. Add in the fact that I applied late this year means another year off is unconditionally the right call for me. Needless to say, I'm probably not going to reapply to this school again. I'm probably going to be blacklisted.

Don't be a major douche like I was. If you are going to ask if you could take back your withdrawal with the intention of attending, attend.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:43 am

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:52 pm

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Retake dude.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Retake was a better plan. Regardless, stop flip flopping. Pick a plan, and stick to it. Retaking is the best plan, just do it.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:49 pm

DaRascal wrote:Ugh this is so upsetting. I should have just put my deposit down but a lot of people here were telling me not to go to this school but it's a solid regional and it was free and the stips weren't bad at all. I mean this is really on me though but it would have helped if I had just been told good things. Looks like I really do have to retake/reapply but I'm extremely skeptical about this route. I just don't see all the positives I saw before. Law school isn't worth massive debt, my urm boost is practically non-existent seeing as I can't even crack the T20 with the numbers I have right now so that puts the pressure on me to get a much higher score on a retake or else I feel like I'll be left with the same options I have right about now. And even if I increase I'm realizing that NJ/NY is the only place I want to practice and I feel like Fordham wouldn't even be open to me with a realistic 3-4 point increase considering how stingy they are with scholarship money.

So the T2 was definitely my best option. I used to think short-sided and believe that some schools were worth sticker but if you get your ass kicked at those schools then you're doomed to an average-paying job at best anyway right (except with all the debt to boot)?

You've gotta get your ish together, brah. Don't settle for a "best option" that is less than ideal; retake and reap a lifetime of benefits.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:56 pm

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:58 pm

DaRascal wrote:Ugh this is so upsetting. I should have just put my deposit down but a lot of people here were telling me not to go to this school but it's a solid regional and it was free and the stips weren't bad at all. I mean this is really on me though but it would have helped if I had just been told good things. Looks like I really do have to retake/reapply but I'm extremely skeptical about this route. I just don't see all the positives I saw before. Law school isn't worth massive debt, my urm boost is practically non-existent seeing as I can't even crack the T20 with the numbers I have right now so that puts the pressure on me to get a much higher score on a retake or else I feel like I'll be left with the same options I have right about now. And even if I increase I'm realizing that NJ/NY is the only place I want to practice and I feel like Fordham wouldn't even be open to me with a realistic 3-4 point increase considering how stingy they are with scholarship money.

So the T2 was definitely my best option. I used to think short-sided and believe that some schools were worth sticker but if you get your ass kicked at those schools then you're doomed to an average-paying job at best anyway right (except with all the debt to boot)?

so our advice is finally getting through to you. All this time you've been going around telling kids to go to GWU or Emory at sticker, saying they are "tier 1" schools and all tier one schools are worth sticker. You should be ashamed, dude. However, since you may be coming around, I'll give you some very much needed advice.

Fuck Fordham. With a mild URM boost and a 170 on the LSAT, you could get $$ at Cornell. That's a much better option than your T2. Some debt is part of the equation for a quality legal education. You just need to minimize that debt with respect to your job prospects. You've been fucking around with debt for too long. You also have no business going to a T2 if you could raise your LSAT and get money at a good school. Just study.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:22 pm

sublime wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Retake was a better plan. Regardless, stop flip flopping. Pick a plan, and stick to it. Retaking is the best plan, just do it.

And in the unlikely event that you don't improve (assuming you commit yourself to it), the full ride at the T2 will probably be there next year.

This is true.

And TBH, DR, I feel like you underperformed your numbers. Next cycle should go better regardless of what you get on your retake.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:12 pm

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:09 pm

DaRascal wrote:Bagelboy, that's a hefty increase from my current score and probably not realistic based on how I was doing on practice tests last year. A 3-4 point increase is likely my best outcome.

You've made some retarded posts on TLS, but I won't judge you for those eternally, just as I hope others wouldn't judge me for the dumb jokes/comments I've made at times when I was super bored or fucked up.

The clarity you've shown in your posts ITT demonstrate you may have the potential to improve.

What was your LSAT? Like 164-165 right? Many people have made huge gains and score increases. I made an 8 pt jump myself. If you haven't done a PT since last year, start trying. Take yourself and your opportunities seriously. Stop lamenting what might have happened or could have come, and don't blame other people for the outcome -- start taking PTs now and don't stop until September 30. Stop getting high and take initiative.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:10 pm

have you already called/emailed the T2??

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Didn't you post in my thread that I shouldn't take the full at OU? (a moot point now)

This is exactly why 0Ls shouldn't give advice in choosing the law school forum.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Good Luck brother!

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:53 pm

DaRascal wrote:
Nova, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a "good cycle". (My GPA dipped a little during my senior year). In order for me to have a good cycle I'd need a good amount of scholarship money to a school that places well in NJ or NY and there's a steep drop off from the T14 to SH with stingy Fordham stuck in between. It seems incredibly unlikely to happen.

I mean below both median PR URM cycles are crap shoots. It could have turned out better for you. You could have gotten what you wanted, it just didnt happen. Its ok though cause youre up to bat again.

To echo JBB, start grinding NOW.

BC/BU/F should give you a decent scholarship if you hit their median.

Dolphine wrote:Didn't you post in my thread that I shouldn't take the full at OU? (a moot point now)

DR is a special 0L.

You definitely shouldnt generalize 0Ls based on his posts

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Nova wrote:
Dolphine wrote:Didn't you post in my thread that I shouldn't take the full at OU? (a moot point now)

DR is a special 0L.

You definitely shouldnt generalize 0Ls based on his posts

+1 amen. He is quite "special"

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:03 pm

FWIW Rutgers Camden sent me a letter in May stating if I were to apply they would give me a full ride + living stipend(1 time stipend). That's in NJ. Maybe ask them if they have an offer like that still standing.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:34 am

This thread contains far and away the most coherent posting I've ever seen from DR. Interesting how he only stops trolling when he needs advice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”