U Minnesota full ride v. UC Berkeley sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mscott1988

New

U Minnesota full ride v. UC Berkeley sticker

Post by mscott1988 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:47 pm

I just got in off the waitlist at UC Berkeley/Boalt Hall, and I am already deposited at the University of Minnesota, where I have a full tuition & fees scholarship. I don't have much in savings, so I'll be taking out a loan for living expenses in MN, but this is minimal compared to the massive out-of-state tuition and living expenses at Berkeley. Because I was admitted from the waitlist, I am not eligible for any scholarships from Berkeley this year, and the maximum for their need-based grants is just over $20,000.

I went to the U of M for undergrad, and I have been living in Minneapolis since then, so I have a number of significant personal and professional ties to the city and the Midwest in general (I grew up in IL). I love living in MN; I know that I would love living in CA as well, but I don't have many significant ties there.

I want to work in BigLaw, but eventually I would like to start my own firm, business, or nonprofit. I am considering a dual degree in business (the U of M has a great JD/MBA program). My goals are not very concrete--I started with an interest in human rights law, but after spending several years in the nonprofit world, I have taken an interest in business law and the corporate world.

My instinct is to take the money at the U of M, but it is very hard to turn down Berkeley, and I wonder what kinds of opportunities I might be missing out on. The U of M is highly ranked enough that I am not worried about finding a job, especially with the connections I have made here in the Twin Cities.

I hope that is enough information, but I am happy to elaborate. Thank you for your thoughts!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: U Minnesota full ride v. UC Berkeley sticker

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:51 pm

If you want to stay in Minnesota or the adjoining states, UMN is definitely the right call here. Only go to Cal and assume that unnecessary debt if you are determined to practice in CA. There's no guarantee the Berkeley degree could get you a job in the twin cities if you decided you wanted to go home. And Carlson is a good MBA program as you mentioned. As you surely know, minneapolis has a ton of Fortune 500's that will pull from the two schools with your significant ties.. just be sure to graduate top 1/3rd.

tabula rasa

New

Post by tabula rasa » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Berkeley at sticker is fucking scary. If you plan on using your ties to stay local, I would take the money at UMN.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Seeing as to how you already have MN ties and could graduate with a negligible amount of debt, UMN is the smarter choice here.

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Go to Minnesota, do well academically and live happily ever after. Just do well academically

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Cal@sticker student here. I only took it at sticker price because I'm going into public interest. Under your circumstances, UMN sounds like the right call. You will find something in Minnesota/Iowa/Illinois, and if you still want to carve out your own practice after a few years of work, you'll be able to swing it. Worst case scenario, you get something low-paying but with virtually no debt. Can't say no to that.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Go to Minnesota. That debt at Berkeley is just scary, and you have real solid ties to the Twin Cities.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:18 pm

UMN unless you are 100% Biglaw or bust.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”