Houston ($15k/year scholarship) vs SMU (Full Tuition & Fees)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Options

Houston ($15k per year scholarship; stipulation "Top 70%")
25%
SMU (Full tuition & fees scholarship; stipulation "Top 33%")
40%
Retake on Oct 2014 (Long wait!!)
35%

Total votes: 48

sublime

Re: Houston ($15k/year scholarship) vs SMU (Full Tuition & Fees)

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:48 pm

heyman86us

Postby heyman86us » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:01 am

sublime wrote:I agree with the above posters that said that if you are not willing to wait, going to SMU and dropping if you lose the scholly is probably the best play.

How does drop out affects on my future cycle? If I drop out, I think that it would have serious negative affects on my chances of admission or scholarship opportunities in the future since the admissions committee would know that I dropped out from a law school and might think that I have some problems. Maybe they would think that since I dropped out once, I might drop out again or not do very well in law school.

I really want to avoid dropping out from any law school because I want to graduate from a law school and become a lawyer eventually.

Thank you!

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:07 am

sublime wrote:I agree with the above posters that said that if you are not willing to wait, going to SMU and dropping if you lose the scholly is probably the best play.

Its such a tough bet though....

TOP 33% stip would keep me up at night

I like Kals idea of asking SMU to give you 35k with a good standing stip.

Definitely keep negotiating with both schools. Even if theyve said no over and over. Both schools want you and are in direct competition for you.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:14 am

kalvano wrote:They won't waive their stips on a Hutchinson or Sumners. They'll likely give you $33K or $35K a year with the "good standing" stip, which is nothing.

If you can get them to do this, I think it's your best bet.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:17 am

heyman86us

Postby heyman86us » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:18 am

Nova wrote:Its such a tough bet though....

TOP 33% stip would keep me up at night

I like Kals idea of asking SMU to give you 35k with a good standing stip.

Definitely keep negotiating with both schools. Even if theyve said no over and over. Both schools want you and are in direct competition for you.

Actually they offered me $30k per year (good standing) originally, and then they offered me the new (full; Top 33% stipulation) scholarship.

Did not negotiate with SMU. But, I negotiated with Houston multiple times, and it starts to feel sorry to ask again (initially I was offered no scholarship at all).

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:10 am

If you think you might drop out but still want to graduate from law school eventually — then don't go at all right now.

mroper09

Postby mroper09 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:13 pm

First of all, do not feel bad for going back to UH and trying to renegotiate with them. It can't hurt and no one is going to get mad at you or feel bothered if you go back to them again. The worst thing that can happen is for UH to tell you that they just can't give you any more money. The people who work in the admissions office of any law school understand that it is a difficult decision to make as well as a costly one.

Second, Top 33% is doable but you already have enough to worry about your first year without having the thought in the back of your mind that if you don't ace contracts you'll have to pay full tuition. Let's face it. You're probably a smart person. You got into both SMU and UH and you'll probably do ok. The issue is that everyone in your class will have done the exact same thing. It is a tough realization but the people you go to law school with will be just like you. They will have done just as well as you did in undergrad and maybe better. Being in the top 70% of your class is much easier and much more certain bet than top 33%. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk because I think that it would add a ton of stress.

Lastly, you need to consider more than just cost when choosing a law school. Look at cost of living for each area. Look at job prospects. I can tell you right now that Houston's job market is booming. You don't need to focus on rankings because UH and SMU are both ranked #48. Just consider the whole picture when making your decision.

OP, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. A year ago I was exactly in the position you are now and I understand how hard it can be to make a decision on where to attend law school.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:20 pm

mroper09 wrote:First of all, do not feel bad for going back to UH and trying to renegotiate with them. It can't hurt and no one is going to get mad at you or feel bothered if you go back to them again. The worst thing that can happen is for UH to tell you that they just can't give you any more money. The people who work in the admissions office of any law school understand that it is a difficult decision to make as well as a costly one.

Second, Top 33% is doable but you already have enough to worry about your first year without having the thought in the back of your mind that if you don't ace contracts you'll have to pay full tuition. Let's face it. You're probably a smart person. You got into both SMU and UH and you'll probably do ok. The issue is that everyone in your class will have done the exact same thing. It is a tough realization but the people you go to law school with will be just like you. They will have done just as well as you did in undergrad and maybe better. Being in the top 70% of your class is much easier and much more certain bet than top 33%. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk because I think that it would add a ton of stress.

Lastly, you need to consider more than just cost when choosing a law school. Look at cost of living for each area. Look at job prospects. I can tell you right now that Houston's job market is booming. You don't need to focus on rankings because UH and SMU are both ranked #48. Just consider the whole picture when making your decision.

OP, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. A year ago I was exactly in the position you are now and I understand how hard it can be to make a decision on where to attend law school.

Great first post.

Speaking from experience, I originally received no money from UH. I went back to them TWICE and each time had my scholarship raised. However, UH is notably stingy so do not expect to get much.

michael_uhlaw

Postby michael_uhlaw » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:32 am

I am currently on the 15k/year scholarship at UHouston, so I can offer some advice for anyone considering going that route.

I would start by saying that both UHouston and SMU are great schools, and you would do well to go to either. Neither is Harvard, but particularly in Texas they are both highly regarded.

In my decision where to go to school, one of my top two considerations was where I wanted to practice after school. This didn't start in my top 2, but after consulting with others it got there. An example was posed to me that helped me see the logic of such a consideration:

Basically, the opportunity to interact with members of the legal community/get internships in city X, if you study in city X, is great. Your opportunity to interact with lawyers/get internships in city X when you are studying in city Y is poor. Often, members of the legal community in city X are heavily weighted towards the law schools of city X because the jobs are right there when they get out of school/they often interned with firms in city X while in school. If you study in city X, you can interact with the legal community in city X, often composed of many alumni of city X schools and get internships with city X firms. In a decision of roughly equivalent schools, one in city X and the other in city Y, you should weigh heavily in favor of a city X school when city X is where you want to end up.

This example doesn't hold water if city Y's school is Harvard, Columbia, Yale, etc. [or in Texas, UTexas], but it would absolutely apply for UHouston and SMU.

If you want any more advice, I am happy to offer it. I cannot speak for SMU because I did not choose to attend school there, but I am at UHouston currently and can speak for them. I see both the good and bad in my school and would be happy to offer you my insight on both. I don't see the point in sugar coating anything, so I won't hide any flaws I find in my school or try to accentuate only the positives.

After a year at UHouston I can tell you that I am pleased with my choice.
Good luck with yours, I know you will make a great decision either way!
Michael

Return to “Choosing a Law School”