Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rcp412
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby rcp412 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:35 pm

From NJ. I have $21K to go to Loyola, which brings the COA down to $42K including tuition. UNC COA is $59K sticker. I love the idea of living and working in Chicago, but the cost of living is obviously extremely high. I know all about having to finish in the top 10% at Loyola with the better law schools in and around Chicago, etc., etc. Retaking is not an option. $600 seat deposit is due Saturday at Loyola, and I just got the UNC acceptance email tonight. Obviously, UNC's ranking is significantly higher and it has a better national reputation. I do like its connection to DC.

I'm just looking for an honest opinion for either one. Again, retaking is not an option.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:41 pm

rcp412 wrote:From NJ. I have $21K to go to Loyola, which brings the COA down to $42K including tuition. UNC COA is $59K sticker. I love the idea of living and working in Chicago, but the cost of living is obviously extremely high. I know all about having to finish in the top 10% at Loyola with the better law schools in and around Chicago, etc., etc. Retaking is not an option. $600 seat deposit is due Saturday at Loyola, and I just got the UNC acceptance email tonight. Obviously, UNC's ranking is significantly higher and it has a better national reputation. I do like its connection to DC.

I'm just looking for an honest opinion for either one. Again, retaking is not an option.



First thing you should try to do is use Loyola's scholarship as leverage to try to squeeze any sort of money out of UNC. Second, is Loyola's scholarship with stipulations?

Most people on here are looking for 3 year total COA. I assume that what you wrote was one year since your scholarship is 21k. This means COA at Loyola is 126k and UNC is 177k. I can't honestly say I would choose UNC at 177k if NC is not even your target market, especially since getting DC from there would require what I would assume to be top 5% since every school will be fighting for that market. Are you okay with working in other areas in Illinois? If so I would say Loyola Chicago if you must choose one of the two.

On a side note, are you on any other waitlists?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:46 pm

LOL neither. Move to NC for a year and reapply to Carolina if you can't retake. Loyola at that price is LOL.

rcp412
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby rcp412 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:46 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
rcp412 wrote:From NJ. I have $21K to go to Loyola, which brings the COA down to $42K including tuition. UNC COA is $59K sticker. I love the idea of living and working in Chicago, but the cost of living is obviously extremely high. I know all about having to finish in the top 10% at Loyola with the better law schools in and around Chicago, etc., etc. Retaking is not an option. $600 seat deposit is due Saturday at Loyola, and I just got the UNC acceptance email tonight. Obviously, UNC's ranking is significantly higher and it has a better national reputation. I do like its connection to DC.

I'm just looking for an honest opinion for either one. Again, retaking is not an option.



First thing you should try to do is use Loyola's scholarship as leverage to try to squeeze any sort of money out of UNC. Second, is Loyola's scholarship with stipulations?

Most people on here are looking for 3 year total COA. I assume that what you wrote was one year since your scholarship is 21k. This means COA at Loyola is 126k and UNC is 177k. I can't honestly say I would choose UNC at 177k if NC is not even your target market, especially since getting DC from there would require what I would assume to be top 5% since every school will be fighting for that market. Are you okay with working in other areas in Illinois? If so I would say Loyola Chicago if you must choose one of the two.

On a side note, are you on any other waitlists?


Thanks for the advice. I don't really have any time to talk with UNC since Loyola's $600 seat deposit is due tomorrow. You are correct in assuming the COAs are per year. I would also be receiving tuition help from other sources, which would decrease the cost to me roughly $30-50K in total for both schools. You are certainly correct in assuming NC is not my target market. I don't have a target and am open to practicing anywhere on the East Coast (including NY/NJ) as well as Chicago.

I am not on the wait list anywhere else. I was recently admitted to Temple, again with no financial assistance. In at various other schools as well, most of which I was not considering for various reasons (money, location, etc.) and I've likely missed seat deposits for (Rutgers, Syracuse, Denver, Tulane, and Catholic).

rcp412
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby rcp412 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:49 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:LOL neither. Move to NC for a year and reapply to Carolina if you can't retake. Loyola at that price is LOL.


This would be the only thing more absurd than your perception of the cost of Loyola.

Figures that you're a Notre Damer.

rcp412
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby rcp412 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:50 pm

With outside help, the COA would be about $32K for Loyola and $45-48K for UNC per year.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:51 pm

rcp412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:LOL neither. Move to NC for a year and reapply to Carolina if you can't retake. Loyola at that price is LOL.


This would be the only thing more absurd than your perception of the cost of Loyola.

Figures that you're a Notre Damer.


$42K a year for Loyola is not absurd? I don't know what is, then.

Retake or don't go.

rcp412
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby rcp412 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:53 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
rcp412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:LOL neither. Move to NC for a year and reapply to Carolina if you can't retake. Loyola at that price is LOL.


This would be the only thing more absurd than your perception of the cost of Loyola.

Figures that you're a Notre Damer.


$42K a year for Loyola is not absurd? I don't know what is, then.

Retake or don't go.


$32K.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:53 pm

rcp412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
rcp412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:LOL neither. Move to NC for a year and reapply to Carolina if you can't retake. Loyola at that price is LOL.


This would be the only thing more absurd than your perception of the cost of Loyola.

Figures that you're a Notre Damer.


$42K a year for Loyola is not absurd? I don't know what is, then.

Retake or don't go.


$32K.


HUGE difference. Anything above nominal $$ for Loyola is absurd.

rcp412
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby rcp412 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:56 pm

ndirish2010 wrote: Anything above nominal $$ for Loyola is absurd.


It comes down to about $32K COA for Loyola and $15K more per year for UNC.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:57 pm

rcp412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote: Anything above nominal $$ for Loyola is absurd.


It comes down to about $32K COA for Loyola and $15K more per year for UNC.


And once again, the answer is neither. Carolina is much better school, but $141K without interest there is insane with no NC ties.

rcp412
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby rcp412 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:00 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
rcp412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote: Anything above nominal $$ for Loyola is absurd.


It comes down to about $32K COA for Loyola and $15K more per year for UNC.


And once again, the answer is neither. Carolina is much better school, but $141K without interest there is insane with no NC ties.


Neither isn't an option -- thanks.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:02 pm

rcp412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
rcp412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote: Anything above nominal $$ for Loyola is absurd.


It comes down to about $32K COA for Loyola and $15K more per year for UNC.


And once again, the answer is neither. Carolina is much better school, but $141K without interest there is insane with no NC ties.


Neither isn't an option -- thanks.


What about a Roulette table in Vegas? Odds sound better.

rcp412
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby rcp412 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:07 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
What about a Roulette table in Vegas? Odds sound better.


What about just not saying anything at all if you're going to needlessly be a d-bag? Trying to uphold that ND reputation?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:11 pm

rcp412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
What about a Roulette table in Vegas? Odds sound better.


What about just not saying anything at all if you're going to needlessly be a d-bag? Trying to uphold that ND reputation?


I didn't think it was bad to try to save someone from 200K debt and no job. Actually, that's the whole point of this forum. If you wanted reassurance about your choice, go to the application forums. Here, nobody is going to tell you that going into that kind of debt for TTT Loyola or for Carolina w/ no ties is a good idea. If they do, they're trolling.

rcp412
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby rcp412 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
rcp412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
What about a Roulette table in Vegas? Odds sound better.


What about just not saying anything at all if you're going to needlessly be a d-bag? Trying to uphold that ND reputation?


I didn't think it was bad to try to save someone from 200K debt and no job. Actually, that's the whole point of this forum. If you wanted reassurance about your choice, go to the application forums. Here, nobody is going to tell you that going into that kind of debt for TTT Loyola or for Carolina w/ no ties is a good idea. If they do, they're trolling.


Again, thanks. I'm not sure where you're getting $200K from or if they teach math at Notre Dame, but I'll be nowhere close to $200K. If I choose Loyola, I'll be borrowing about $30K/year.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:14 pm

rcp412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
rcp412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
What about a Roulette table in Vegas? Odds sound better.


What about just not saying anything at all if you're going to needlessly be a d-bag? Trying to uphold that ND reputation?


I didn't think it was bad to try to save someone from 200K debt and no job. Actually, that's the whole point of this forum. If you wanted reassurance about your choice, go to the application forums. Here, nobody is going to tell you that going into that kind of debt for TTT Loyola or for Carolina w/ no ties is a good idea. If they do, they're trolling.


Again, thanks. I'm not sure where you're getting $200K from or if they teach math at Notre Dame, but I'll be nowhere close to $200K. If I choose Loyola, I'll be borrowing about $30K/year.


OK so after interest you'll be well over 100K, with no job. It's all the same. Would be close to $200K for Carolina. The only rational decision is to retake/reapply. Not sure why anyone would be so desperate to go to law school.

rcp412
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby rcp412 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Nobody who attends Loyola Chicago gets a job? Fascinating analysis.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:32 pm

rcp412 wrote:Nobody who attends Loyola Chicago gets a job? Fascinating analysis.


The chances are you will not get one. Without having ever taken a law school class, are you going to assume that you'll be in the top 10-15%? Rather outlandish.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby dstars823 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:33 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola-chicago

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=unc

not great, but UNC absolutely dominates NC, im from NC and understand that UNC law kinda runs show whereas loyola has a ton of competition for illinois/chicago. I would say UNC if you absolutely must go but trying to get in state tuition would be great.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:35 pm

dstars823 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola-chicago

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=unc

not great, but UNC absolutely dominates NC, im from NC and understand that UNC law kinda runs show whereas loyola has a ton of competition for illinois/chicago. I would say UNC if you absolutely must go but trying to get in state tuition would be great.


Carolina at in state sticker is actually a pretty good deal. But without ties, getting a job in NC would be a huge uphill battle.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby dstars823 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:38 pm

just remember the south is literally like the most insular/good ol boys club kind of place ever. Raleigh/Charlotte isnt as bad but anywhere else and no ties esp not being from the south and there is a stigma

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:47 pm

Is there a stipulation on Loyola chicago just like Loyola LA Since this thread is choosing a law school and you did not include retake as an option I have been answer the questions as if these truly were your only two options. Many people will not do the same, and all you can do is really just not let it get under your skin. With that said, I really have no knowledge in either market, and if I did not have a preference I would be choosing Loyola if I was ok working in Illinois for the hope of trying to minimize debt. Personally though, I prefer NC over chicago so I would probably choose UNC as long as I had the ties (which you stated you do not). I think UNC's numbers look fairly strong due to the ridiculous number of in state students who ultimately stay in the area. I may be wrong, but I would venture to think that NC is a fairly insular market and being an out of state student there may hurt you.

rcp412
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby rcp412 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:03 am

Dmini7 wrote:Is there a stipulation on Loyola chicago just like Loyola LA Since this thread is choosing a law school and you did not include retake as an option I have been answer the questions as if these truly were your only two options. Many people will not do the same, and all you can do is really just not let it get under your skin. With that said, I really have no knowledge in either market, and if I did not have a preference I would be choosing Loyola if I was ok working in Illinois for the hope of trying to minimize debt. Personally though, I prefer NC over chicago so I would probably choose UNC as long as I had the ties (which you stated you do not). I think UNC's numbers look fairly strong due to the ridiculous number of in state students who ultimately stay in the area. I may be wrong, but I would venture to think that NC is a fairly insular market and being an out of state student there may hurt you.


Yeah, I definitely appreciate that. There is no stipulation on Loyola's scholarship. The cost of living is obviously far cheaper in NC, which is attractive, but I would prefer to work in Chicago.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) vs. UNC (sticker)

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:40 am

rcp412 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:Is there a stipulation on Loyola chicago just like Loyola LA Since this thread is choosing a law school and you did not include retake as an option I have been answer the questions as if these truly were your only two options. Many people will not do the same, and all you can do is really just not let it get under your skin. With that said, I really have no knowledge in either market, and if I did not have a preference I would be choosing Loyola if I was ok working in Illinois for the hope of trying to minimize debt. Personally though, I prefer NC over chicago so I would probably choose UNC as long as I had the ties (which you stated you do not). I think UNC's numbers look fairly strong due to the ridiculous number of in state students who ultimately stay in the area. I may be wrong, but I would venture to think that NC is a fairly insular market and being an out of state student there may hurt you.


Yeah, I definitely appreciate that. There is no stipulation on Loyola's scholarship. The cost of living is obviously far cheaper in NC, which is attractive, but I would prefer to work in Chicago.


If i had to choose one in your situation then go to Loyola Chicago. No stip is at least guaranteed money. If NC is as insular as I think it is, it definitely is not worth the extra money. Just realize you may never get a high paying job and you will have to work hard from day 1 to become a lawyer.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests