Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which of the following is the best option?

Northwestern ($15k/yr)
47
72%
Georgetown ($20k/yr)
18
28%
 
Total votes: 65

framboozer
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby framboozer » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:57 pm

moshei24 wrote:It's funny how people are comparing Duke to either of these schools. Duke was in a city with practically nothing Orthodox Jewish, as the people who live there made clear to me. Finding kosher food isn't simple. You can't believe everything you read online. People who live there are the ones reliable. Anyways, Chicago and DC are both big cities and Jewish life isn't a real issue I'm taking into the two of them. Grow up, and don't post a comment if it's not a serious one answering the question.

Thanks!


I think it's more likely that Duke students were trying to make it so that you wouldn't be associated with the Duke name since you come across as nothing short of ridiculous.

moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby moshei24 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:12 pm

framboozer wrote:
moshei24 wrote:It's funny how people are comparing Duke to either of these schools. Duke was in a city with practically nothing Orthodox Jewish, as the people who live there made clear to me. Finding kosher food isn't simple. You can't believe everything you read online. People who live there are the ones reliable. Anyways, Chicago and DC are both big cities and Jewish life isn't a real issue I'm taking into the two of them. Grow up, and don't post a comment if it's not a serious one answering the question.

Thanks!


I think it's more likely that Duke students were trying to make it so that you wouldn't be associated with the Duke name since you come across as nothing short of ridiculous.



Considering they were trying to convince me that I should go there, you should rethink your logic and maybe consider not making nonsensical comments, bud.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:20 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bruin91
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby bruin91 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:21 pm

(taking everything that I've read from your posts)

NU>>Duke>>>>>>>GULC

I remain stubborn that Duke is way better than GULC and that you'd live a fine orthodox jewish life in durham if you really wanted to.

moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:06 am

.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:28 am

Stop being Jewish.

Go to Harvard.

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby untar614 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:30 am

louierodriguez wrote:Stop being Jewish.

Go to Harvard.

wtf? how is that even related?

We get it, you think Harvard is the only school anyone should go to, and you'd sell yourself into sex slavery to go there, even though there's no way you're getting in with your low GPA no matter how many times you insist they should let you in just cuz u want the prestige in your PS. Did you really need to bump a bunch of threads just to make this point?

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:28 am

untar614 wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:Stop being Jewish.

Go to Harvard.

wtf? how is that even related?

We get it, you think Harvard is the only school anyone should go to, and you'd sell yourself into sex slavery to go there, even though there's no way you're getting in with your low GPA no matter how many times you insist they should let you in just cuz u want the prestige in your PS. Did you really need to bump a bunch of threads just to make this point?


U s0 aNgRy. tAkE a CHi11 pI11 bRahHhH

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9647
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:27 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
untar614 wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:Stop being Jewish.

Go to Harvard.

wtf? how is that even related?

We get it, you think Harvard is the only school anyone should go to, and you'd sell yourself into sex slavery to go there, even though there's no way you're getting in with your low GPA no matter how many times you insist they should let you in just cuz u want the prestige in your PS. Did you really need to bump a bunch of threads just to make this point?


U s0 aNgRy. tAkE a CHi11 pI11 bRahHhH


uninstall

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:01 pm

I've had a number of orthodox friends in Chicago, so perhaps for once I'll actually be helpful to one of Moshei's threads.

Since QoL is becoming a larger concern than it was at the beginning, definitely NU here over Duke. The law school is in the loop (instead of in Evanston, where the rest of the Northwestern campus is), which gives you a lot of options for commuting. I'd probably recommend lakeview as there are a number of buildings that observe shabbos - doing the elevator thing, etc. Lakeview to the loop is an easy commute on the 151 or 146 (20-30 minutes) so you wouldn't have to get a car. You could also do west rogers park but that commute would be closer to an hour. Both have eruvs, if you believe in those.

I don't know if every class at the NU law school is at the loop location or if some are in Evanston - any NWern-ers here? - but if some/more are in Evanston, Rogers Park is a lot closer with the Loyola red line stop. Though there's also the Belmont/Addison red line stops in lakeview.

Your GF being in NYC is obviously a point in favor of GULC - and I have no idea what jewish life is like there - but I'm among those on this board skeptical of its value.

moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby moshei24 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:31 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:I've had a number of orthodox friends in Chicago, so perhaps for once I'll actually be helpful to one of Moshei's threads.

Since QoL is becoming a larger concern than it was at the beginning, definitely NU here over Duke. The law school is in the loop (instead of in Evanston, where the rest of the Northwestern campus is), which gives you a lot of options for commuting. I'd probably recommend lakeview as there are a number of buildings that observe shabbos - doing the elevator thing, etc. Lakeview to the loop is an easy commute on the 151 or 146 (20-30 minutes) so you wouldn't have to get a car. You could also do west rogers park but that commute would be closer to an hour. Both have eruvs, if you believe in those.

I don't know if every class at the NU law school is at the loop location or if some are in Evanston - any NWern-ers here? - but if some/more are in Evanston, Rogers Park is a lot closer with the Loyola red line stop. Though there's also the Belmont/Addison red line stops in lakeview.

Your GF being in NYC is obviously a point in favor of GULC - and I have no idea what jewish life is like there - but I'm among those on this board skeptical of its value.



Thank you for this information. It's really helpful. My cousin, who went to Penn and works in BigLaw, said that GULC is probably the better choice for me given my entire situation, so I'm leaning toward them now. It's going to be fun figuring things out.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby soj » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:22 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
untar614 wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:Stop being Jewish.

Go to Harvard.

wtf? how is that even related?

We get it, you think Harvard is the only school anyone should go to, and you'd sell yourself into sex slavery to go there, even though there's no way you're getting in with your low GPA no matter how many times you insist they should let you in just cuz u want the prestige in your PS. Did you really need to bump a bunch of threads just to make this point?


U s0 aNgRy. tAkE a CHi11 pI11 bRahHhH

Get lost.

moshei24, you've started and bumped enough threads. Stop wasting everyone's time if you don't have new, material information. It looks like you want reassurance, not advice. If that's the case, don't pretend you want advice.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby Big Dog » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:57 pm

I don't know if every class at the NU law school is at the loop location...


Actually, none of them are in The Loop. NU's law school and med school are located in Streeterville, in an area that used to be called Near North in the old days.

The Loop is surrounded by the el, the elevated train, about a mile or so south, across the River.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs Georgetown ($$)

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:33 am

Big Dog wrote:
I don't know if every class at the NU law school is at the loop location...


Actually, none of them are in The Loop. NU's law school and med school are located in Streeterville, in an area that used to be called Near North in the old days.

The Loop is surrounded by the el, the elevated train, about a mile or so south, across the River.


Yea I guess it's not technically the loop, but it's pretty darn close. I generally consider anything south of Chicago/north of Roosevelt/east of union station or so the loop, even though you get some south loop in there as well. To us hyde parkers it's all the same :)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: thriller1122 and 4 guests