Which would be the best law school for Florida?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
georgiasouthern

Which would be the best law school for Florida?

Postby georgiasouthern » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:30 am

I want to practice in Florida. I've heard some people say that it is best to go to Florida schools over bottom T14. Is that true? If i wanted to work in Tampa would they prefer UF/FSU over Duke/Northwestern/Cornell/Georgetown. Not looking at coa just strictly the best for Flroida.

Tekrul

Re: Which would be the best law school for Florida?

Postby Tekrul » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:32 am

Strong regionals have a case against the T-14 when it comes down to COA. If you take away the COA as your post instructs, you are left with a landslide victory for the T-14.

Bottom line: consider the COA

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:33 am

georgiasouthern wrote:I want to practice in Florida. I've heard some people say that it is best to go to Florida schools over bottom T14. Is that true? If i wanted to work in Tampa would they prefer UF/FSU over Duke/Northwestern/Cornell/Georgetown. Not looking at coa just strictly the best for Flroida.

Vandy places well in FL. If you're in at NU, Cornell and GULC you might be looking at some $$ from Vandy.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:44 am

If you're from Georgia then trying to work in FL might be a non-starter.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:48 am

Tekrul wrote:Strong regionals have a case against the T-14 when it comes down to COA. If you take away the COA as your post instructs, you are left with a landslide victory for the T-14.

Bottom line: consider the COA

This

Also consider your preferences

If FL large firms > large firm anywhere > any other FL job --> T13/Vandy

If FL large firms > any other FL job > large firm anywhere --> UF/FSU

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:26 pm

I've HEARD that UVA and Penn place a lot (relatively) into Miami/FL big law. As well as GULC... Anyone care to corroborate?

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Yale

untar614

Postby untar614 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Well if you want to be in Tampa specifically, I suggest you first move to Tampa and live and work there for a bit, and do some networking there. Maybe work as a paralegal or something? Then destroy LSAT and go to best of T14+Vandy that offers you a full ride or close to it.

Peyton

Postby Peyton » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:25 pm

mvonh001 wrote:I've HEARD that UVA and Penn place a lot (relatively) into Miami/FL big law. As well as GULC... Anyone care to corroborate?

I have several Penn friends that were offered in Miami. Problem was (as I heard it) the Miami offers came late… everyone had already accepted somewhere else. I am just talking SA. As far as employment, the one time I checked around the various Miami law firm web sites, UMiami placed the most Miami associates.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:48 pm

Peyton wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:I've HEARD that UVA and Penn place a lot (relatively) into Miami/FL big law. As well as GULC... Anyone care to corroborate?

I have several Penn friends that were offered in Miami. Problem was (as I heard it) the Miami offers came late… everyone had already accepted somewhere else. I am just talking SA. As far as employment, the one time I checked around the various Miami law firm web sites, UMiami placed the most Miami associates.

I think that is self-selecting bias coming into affect. People who go to UM can ONLY work in Miami, therefore all of their graduates are applying for those jobs. Penn can place anywhere (essentially) and like you said, Miami throws out offers a bit late. So I think that if it came down to it, and two people were vying for a Miami Big Law job, assuming neither of them is a complete fucking retard in the interview I would assume that Penn would take the job every time.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:12 am

T14 + Vandy -> UF (firm/business) / FSU (gov, PI) -> don't go anywhere else

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:57 am

mvonh001 wrote:
Peyton wrote:

I think that is self-selecting bias coming into affect. People who go to UM can ONLY work in Miami, therefore all of their graduates are applying for those jobs. Penn can place anywhere (essentially) and like you said, Miami throws out offers a bit late. So I think that if it came down to it, and two people were vying for a Miami Big Law job, assuming neither of them is a complete fucking retard in the interview I would assume that Penn would take the job every time.

Depends what their grades are

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:27 pm

rad lulz wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:
Peyton wrote:

Depends what their grades are

I'd go as far as to say a top 50% at Penn will get the job over a top 25% or even a top 15% at UF (For firm jobs)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”