USC(90k), UCLA(50k) or UVA(sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Given the options listed, which school seems like the least worst option?

UVA
34%
UCLA
15%
USC
51%

Total votes: 41

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: USC(90k), UCLA(50k) or UVA(sticker)

Post by Doorkeeper » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Lasers wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:I would not go to USC or UCLA if I wanted CA biglaw because they only place 30-34% into biglaw. I would retake/reapply for T14 schools with a scholarship.
you have to remember that besides a handful of schools, i don't think any school places well in CA biglaw.
You're paying 150k for a 30% chance at biglaw. Do you like those odds?

Go to those handful of schools that place better.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Lasers wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:I would not go to USC or UCLA if I wanted CA biglaw because they only place 30-34% into biglaw. I would retake/reapply for T14 schools with a scholarship.
you have to remember that besides a handful of schools, i don't think any school places well in CA biglaw.
You're paying 150k for a 30% chance at biglaw. Do you like those odds?

Go to those handful of schools that place better.
not saying he shouldn't know the risk, but the fact is those handful of schools may not be within reach with his GPA. only if OP substantially increases their LSAT will many of those schools be available.

also, is that risk any worse than 200k+ for 50% chance at biglaw (but roughly the same chance at CA biglaw)? all i'm saying is the decision is not an easy one; OP should determine how much he values CA.
Last edited by Lasers on Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm an AA male who went to UVA and had similar numbers as you do.

First, from what you're describing, I'm not sure a retake will really guarantee you a substantially higher score like everyone seems to think. Simply retaking the LSAT is no guarantee of a higher score. That being said, because no one averages scores anymore and an increased score would help you might as well.

Assuming you don't retake or don't score higher, UVA is a hell no. UVA at sticker isn't worth it in 2013--especially for someone from California. You're taking a very bad gamble by going to UVA sticker. Anything below median and you are in a world of trouble. I'm not saying you will definitely end up unemployed, but it's highly likely (well in fairness you won't be unemployed no matter what--you'll just be on one of the school's "fellowships"). The thing about you going to UVA, is that it pulls you away (very far away at that) from your target market. You just don't do that in 2013 unless the school you're going to is one of HYS or you have a big scholarship at another top 14.

Now, all that being said, I don't like the prices you're quoting for USC and UCLA. You need to see if you can negotiate to get more money. Do you think you could get USC to give you 120K or so? Or UCLA to give you 100K? I guess that's not likely, but that would be a much better situation.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:42 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”