Loyola New Orleans' Reputation Within NOLA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
oujda247

Loyola New Orleans' Reputation Within NOLA

Postby oujda247 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:36 pm

I know that Loyola of New Orleans is an extremely regional school, and T3 at that, so I am extremely curious whether despite the previously aforementioned shortcomings, that if somebody were interested solely in working in the New Orleans metropolitan area, whether said law program would serve them well? I have heard on occasion that it is well respected within the city of New Orleans proper, yet since I am not from the area, though I have visited on many occasions, and am not connected with any legal professionals within this particular market, I am not sure if there is any truth to the rumors. If, within the city of New Orleans proper, Loyola NO has a mediocre reputation, then what is the best school to attend in order to focus on breaking into specifically the New Orleans legal market?

jingosaur

Re: Loyola New Orleans' Reputation Within NOLA

Postby jingosaur » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Out of 278 graduates in the Class of 2012, 170 had jobs 9 months after graduation. 126 of those jobs were in Louisiana. For the $150k in loans you would need to take out to go there, those aren't the best odds in my opinion.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... s&show=ABA

I would say LSU is the best bet for a NOLA job. 203 of 223 had jobs 9 months after graduation and 171 were bar passage required. 155 jobs were in Louisiana. Not to mention, it's very cheap in-state.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=lsu&show=ABA

jeanster

Postby jeanster » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:45 am

Not true. LSU makes you more likely to land a job in LA generally with way less debt, but people like Loyola grads still. They are employed throughout the state and many do well for themselves, especially for new Orleans. A lot of people say that if you want to leave LA, go to tulane, if you want to work in LA, go to LSU, and if you want to work in NOLA (and find the other two unattainable or unattractive), then go to Loyola.

Not affiliated with them or anything. I got out of LA as soon as I could- my advice is to do LSU or get out of the state.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:36 am

Reputation is important, but job prospects are far more important. Take a look at the hard data that we have available. I wouldn't take on debt for the degree.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:Reputation is important, but job prospects are far more important. Take a look at the hard data that we have available. I wouldn't take on debt for the degree.

This

Do no geaux to Loyola absent a full ride

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:23 pm

hi OP, NOLA resident 0L here to give you an idea

I am connected to attorneys including many who graduated from Loyola NO as recently as 2 years ago and as long as 40 or so years ago. Some who are in private practice and others who are PDs/Prosecutors/government etc. Now, the thing is that Loyola definitely has its own network in New Orleans and along with it a good reputation in the city. The network is substantial and the reputation is positive. As others have said, the schools is quite expensive and still not worth it unless you find a way to go for very little $$ investment. Having said that, the city is a great one to live in and you can definitely become a successful lawyer from Loyola. Work hard and play your cards right (aka find a way to not take on huge debt to attend) and you can become very successful.

I prefer LSU in state because I actually have lived close to Loyola/Tulane etc. in NO forever and that school is far less expensive. I have also heard that LSU is a hard-nosed, somewhat tough experience that is really supposed to test you whereas Loyola and Tulane are more laid back.

Hope some of this helps. Don't take on any kind of substantial debt to go to a school like this. It definitely works for the area, though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”