USC (69k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC v ND

USC (23k/yr)
18
72%
Notre Dame (20k/yr)
7
28%
 
Total votes: 25

User avatar
sdmelzer
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:01 am

USC (69k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby sdmelzer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:19 am

Just got in off the WL at USC. Looking for opinions on these schools at the given scholly amounts. No geographic preference, no ties to either location. Want typical biglaw/fed clerk. Thanks!

EDIT: 23k/year from USC
Last edited by sdmelzer on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: USC (45k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:25 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299

Do that. All of that.

Correct answer will most likely be "Neither, retake" but you have to do that first.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: USC (45k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:08 am

BigZuck wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299

Do that. All of that.

Correct answer will most likely be "Neither, retake" but you have to do that first.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: USC (45k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:07 am

sinfiery wrote:
BigZuck wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299

Do that. All of that.

Correct answer will most likely be "Neither, retake" but you have to do that first.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: USC (45k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
BigZuck wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299

Do that. All of that.

Correct answer will most likely be "Neither, retake" but you have to do that first.

User avatar
sdmelzer
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:01 am

Re: USC (45k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby sdmelzer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Total COA including accumulated debt are as followed:

Notre Dame: $98k
USC: $148k

Retakes are all used, I suck at standardized tests and am just slow. I will be taking small loans for the feds. Ties in NC only. I don't care where I work.

Like I said, biglaw is my primary goal, but I would like to avoid being on the streets if things don't go my way. Is USC worth 50k more?

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: USC (45k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Could be wrong but slow test taker doesn't sound like it bodes very well for someone who would need to land solidly in the top quarter of the class to have a shot at big law from either of these schools.

I would not go to any school ranked below 13 if my main goal was big law or federal clerkship. Find your way into one of those if you want a shot at fulfilling your career goals.

100K is about the max I would pay for ND. USC is out at that cost.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: USC (45k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:51 pm

BigZuck wrote:Could be wrong but slow test taker doesn't sound like it bodes very well for someone who would need to land solidly in the top quarter of the class to have a shot at big law from either of these schools.

I would not go to any school ranked below 13 if my main goal was big law or federal clerkship. Find your way into one of those if you want a shot at fulfilling your career goals.

100K is about the max I would pay for ND. USC is out at that cost.


This is the second time in this thread you've taken the words out of my mouth.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: USC (69k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Neither is a great option. If you are conservative and finish ~10% at NDLS, you have a pretty good shot at a federal clerkship. We already have 9 CoA clerks in the 2014 class. But you can't really make a decision based on what 3.7+ people are doing. I went to NDLS with $20K, but I would not really advise it, I kind of got lucky.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: USC (45k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:51 pm

sdmelzer wrote:Total COA including accumulated debt are as followed:

Notre Dame: $98k
USC: $148k

Retakes are all used, I suck at standardized tests and am just slow. I will be taking small loans for the feds. Ties in NC only. I don't care where I work.

Like I said, biglaw is my primary goal, but I would like to avoid being on the streets if things don't go my way. Is USC worth 50k more?



are you commuting from home at ND? I am not sure how you got 98k if your scholarship is 60k total. I feel this should leave you with atleast 120-130k debt, but I could be wrong. I would consider these schools similar in most aspects just different markets. Were you able to visit both? I would choose the one you liked better due to similarity. If money is your only worry I would pick ND. Both have strong alumni networks, but being from Socal I can say USC's alumni network is extremely powerful in the surrounding area.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: USC (45k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:55 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
sdmelzer wrote:Total COA including accumulated debt are as followed:

Notre Dame: $98k
USC: $148k

Retakes are all used, I suck at standardized tests and am just slow. I will be taking small loans for the feds. Ties in NC only. I don't care where I work.

Like I said, biglaw is my primary goal, but I would like to avoid being on the streets if things don't go my way. Is USC worth 50k more?



are you commuting from home at ND? I am not sure how you got 98k if your scholarship is 60k total. I feel this should leave you with atleast 120-130k debt, but I could be wrong. I would consider these schools similar in most aspects just different markets. Were you able to visit both? I would choose the one you liked better due to similarity. If money is your only worry I would pick ND. Both have strong alumni networks, but being from Socal I can say USC's alumni network is extremely powerful in the surrounding area.


Agreed, that seems generous unless you are from Michiana. Tuition is like $46K right now. So that would be $78K assuming no tuition hikes (which would be equivalent to assuming no snow in South Bend). You could get by on $12K/yr cost of living I would think.

User avatar
sdmelzer
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:01 am

Re: USC (69k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby sdmelzer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:59 pm

I have outside help from savings.

My situation has changed. Notre Dame will be slightly less expensive than I previously calculated.

Is USC worth 90k more than Notre Dame? I am thinking that the answer is a definitive no, but would like to hear others opinions to ensure I'm not being stupid.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: USC (69k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:00 pm

sdmelzer wrote:I have outside help from savings.

My situation has changed. Notre Dame will be slightly less expensive than I previously calculated.

Is USC worth 90k more than Notre Dame? I am thinking that the answer is a definitive no, but would like to hear others opinions to ensure I'm not being stupid.


No, it's not. But still, I'm not sure NDLS is worth it. PM me if you'd like to talk about it, I just graduated.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:18 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: USC (69k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:45 am

So what you put as total cost if attendance is not even the total cost of attendance? How much money out of pocket are you also planning to spend?

These schools are not worth anything close to what I assume you are planning on paying out of pocket/loan financing.

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: USC (69k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby Informative » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:28 am

If you want to work in Cali, go with USC. If you want to work in the midwest, go with ND. If you don't care, go with whicever is cheapest.

Note that ND doesn't have great placement in the top Vault firms but it does place well in the NLJ250, which is still considered biglaw by most.

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: USC (69k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby untar614 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:44 am

This is why we keep running into trouble when people have savings they use - COA is often conflated with debt at graduation.

For clarity's sake, please put it in the format "USC: $xx from savings and $yy debt at graduation" being sure to include both tuition and cost of living, as well as interest compounded during school.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: USC (69k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:25 am

Informative wrote:If you want to work in Cali, go with USC. If you want to work in the midwest, go with ND. If you don't care, go with whicever is cheapest.

Note that ND doesn't have great placement in the top Vault firms but it does place well in the NLJ250, which is still considered biglaw by most.


This post, like so many of your posts, is not informative. Almost no one would characterize 16.33% placement in the NLJ250 as placing "well."

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: USC (69k) vs Notre Dame (60k)

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:46 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Informative wrote:If you want to work in Cali, go with USC. If you want to work in the midwest, go with ND. If you don't care, go with whicever is cheapest.

Note that ND doesn't have great placement in the top Vault firms but it does place well in the NLJ250, which is still considered biglaw by most.


This post, like so many of your posts, is not informative. Almost no one would characterize 16.33% placement in the NLJ250 as placing "well."


+1. Let's never use a number below the Mendoza Line to refer to desirable Biglaw placement.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: euler and 3 guests