Duke vs Georgetown (20k/yr) vs. Reapplying Next Cycle

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which of the following is the best option?

Duke
30%
Georgetown (20k/yr)
41%
Reapplying Next Cycle
30%

Total votes: 44

sinfiery

Re: Duke vs Georgetown (20k/yr) vs. Reapplying Next Cycle

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:41 pm

I suppose GULC isn't bad. If you applied another cycle, you would likely get MVP but at close to sticker.

If I were you, I would take the year off and reapply/gain WE while figuring out exactly what you want to do with your law degree. You will likely have as good or slightly better options next cycle.

That being said, I think either of these choices are defensible even without taking into account your parents/grandparents aid/loans. If you prefer the DC culture to NC, that should definitely be a factor and at the said COA differences, enjoy GULC but understand their employment prospects going in.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:54 pm

drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:
moshei24 wrote:You're basing how I speak to people in power based on what exactly? One email I sent to Cardozo? LOL. That's one email out of dozwn I've been sending out to admissions people to discuss things, etc. And it was the only one that sounded like.

However, I love how well you know me based on reading my posts on here. It makes me laugh. I think you should take your own advice. And if you want to get to know me, you're welcome to come grab a beer with me where we could talk about life, and truly get to know each other in a normal environment. :)

Okay, thanks!

Be careful. Pretty sure Big Zuck is a grumpy 37 year old who only breaks from RETAKE replies to mention his triumphs of a former life "chilling out, getting laid/drunk."

Sounds like fun...

Oops! Didn't realize how successful at life Big Zuck was. I hope he gives me more life coaching if that's the case. :D

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:56 pm

sinfiery wrote:I suppose GULC isn't bad. If you applied another cycle, you would likely get MVP but at close to sticker.

If I were you, I would take the year off and reapply/gain WE while figuring out exactly what you want to do with your law degree. You will likely have as good or slightly better options next cycle.

That being said, I think either of these choices are defensible even without taking into account your parents/grandparents aid/loans. If you prefer the DC culture to NC, that should definitely be a factor and at the said COA differences, enjoy GULC but understand their employment prospects going in.

They're 44% compared to 64% at Duke. Not a GIANT difference. Plus PI there is great. What does WE mean? And I won't figure it out by taking a year off, and waiting a year to go to Virginian or Michigan would be pointless. Even Penn is questionable.

But I do hear what you're saying overall...

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:59 pm

moshei24 wrote:You're basing how I speak to people in power based on what exactly? One email I sent to Cardozo? LOL. That's one email out of dozwn I've been sending out to admissions people to discuss things, etc. And it was the only one that sounded like.

However, I love how well you know me based on reading my posts on here. It makes me laugh. I think you should take your own advice. And if you want to get to know me, you're welcome to come grab a beer with me where we could talk about life, and truly get to know each other in a normal environment. :)

Okay, thanks!

Be careful. Pretty sure Big Zuck is a grumpy 37 year old who only breaks from RETAKE replies to mention his triumphs of a former life "chilling out, getting laid/drunk."

Sounds like fun...

I'm not a fan of Zuck's posts (you do need an avatar btw) but he's right about this guy. OP has created four threads in the past week asking basically the same question. In one thread the consensus was Duke at sticker, OP was okay with that, then he posted something in Spivey's thread about not liking Durham because of the culture. Choosing a lawl school is a personal decision, and OP's circumstances are more unique than usual. I think we reached (in the second or third thread) the point where OP needs to make a decision, move on, and stop posting about it.

My final thoughts: I would take Duke at sticker over 20k/yr at GULC. The family contribution is an added bonus that means you won't have to take out loans to cover the entire COA. With 110k in debt at GULC or 165k at Duke (plus interest at either), you can't afford to miss the big law boat and Duke gives you a 20% greater chance (45 vs 65). Good luck with your decision OP.

ETA Since you're so concerned with QoL: your QoL is gonna SUCK if you miss the big law boat with 110k debt from GULC (55% chance). Same for Duke (35% chance)
Last edited by MyNameIsFlynn! on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:08 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:

Okay, thanks!

Sounds like fun...

I'm not a fan of Zuck's posts (you do need an avatar btw) but he's right about this guy. OP has created four threads in the past week asking basically the same question. In one thread the consensus was Duke at sticker, OP was okay with that, then he posted something in Spivey's thread about not liking Durham because of the culture. Choosing a lawl school is a personal decision, and OP's circumstances are more unique than usual. I think we reached (in the second or third thread) the point where OP needs to make a decision, move on, and stop posting about it.

My final thoughts: I would take Duke at sticker over 20k/yr at GULC. The family contribution is an added bonus that means you won't have to take out loans to cover the entire COA. With 110k in debt at GULC or 165k at Duke (plus interest at either), you can't afford to miss the big law boat and Duke gives you a 20% greater chance (45 vs 65). Good luck with your decision OP.

My situation changed from each thread. But yup, Zuck knows best, clearly. He psycho-analyzed me correctly from my posts. He should be famous or something.

I respect your opinion. But did you take into account QoL? Either way, cool.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:09 pm

WE= work experience

Y'all are trippin btw

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:17 pm

drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:Be careful. Pretty sure Big Zuck is a grumpy 28 year old who only breaks from RETAKE replies to mention his triumphs of a former life "chilling out, getting drunk" all while secretly lamenting that he didn't get laid more when he was younger.

Sounds like fun...

Edited to more accurately reflect reality.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Okay, thanks!

Sounds like fun...

Lol nice try, but no. Zuck is a quality poster who has a pretty good read on these aspie TLSers. I have to remind myself OP is orthodox to wonder how he manages to embarass himself in comparison.

Take your slanderous crap elsewhere. And yea, if you've never been fucked up, I probably would judge you a little. People with no personality and no experiences to speak of are peevish and uninteresting. Not only will the attitude Zuck pointed to make you unamiable with your peers, it also makes you less approachable to employers. Ever worked in an office?

All these people going on the internet talking about how they graduated college early cause they had no social life and need a law school environment that will accomodate some syncophantic plebeian pedantic bullshit actually do need to get laid

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:44 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Okay, thanks!

Sounds like fun...

Lol nice try, but no. Zuck is a quality poster who has a pretty good read on these aspie TLSers. I have to remind myself OP is orthodox to wonder how he manages to embarass himself in comparison

+1

But to each their own, some people fancy some weird things. I say let them be.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:54 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Okay, thanks!

Sounds like fun...

Lol nice try, but no. Zuck is a quality poster who has a pretty good read on these aspie TLSers. I have to remind myself OP is orthodox to wonder how he manages to embarass himself in comparison.

Take your slanderous crap elsewhere. And yea, if you've never been fucked up, I probably would judge you a little. People with no personality and no experiences to speak of are peevish and uninteresting. Not only will the attitude Zuck pointed to make you unamiable with your peers, it also makes you less approachable to employers. Ever worked in an office?

All these people going on the internet talking about how they graduated college early cause they had no social life and need a law school environment that will accomodate some syncophantic plebeian pedantic bullshit actually do need to get laid

Only the first paragraph is directed toward me? Do you guys even know what "aspie's" is? LOL. Probably not. Yes, as an religious person, I need to take that into account when choosing a school. It's normal. Google "religion." It might help you understand people that don't have the exact same way of life as you. ;)

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:55 pm

sinfiery wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Okay, thanks!

Sounds like fun...

Lol nice try, but no. Zuck is a quality poster who has a pretty good read on these aspie TLSers. I have to remind myself OP is orthodox to wonder how he manages to embarass himself in comparison

+1

But to each their own, some people fancy some weird things. I say let them be.

Weird things as in religion?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:All these people going on the internet talking about how they graduated college early cause they had no social life and need a law school environment that will accomodate some syncophantic plebeian pedantic bullshit actually do need to get laid

I feel a little slighted...

It IS possible to graduate college early while drinking and partying, having sex and generally fitting in socially, even if they tend to be people who could be described as a little neurotic or high-strung.

Everyone at a T14 has to be a little antisocial during 1L at times, even the super-relaxed UVA bros with a 3.5 who pretend they never study.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:59 pm

moshei24 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Sounds like fun...

Only the first paragraph is directed toward me? Do you guys even know what "aspie's" is? LOL. Probably not. Yes, as an religious person, I need to take that into account when choosing a school. It's normal. Google "religion." It might help you understand people that don't have the exact same way of life as you. ;)

Yes, only the first paragraph is directed towards you. I'm saying that since you are religious, I can understand your QoL. I'm not insulting your religion or your choices.

Your attitude towards people posting on an online forum to HELP you make a choice is rather disturbing though. You should be thankful, not retaliatory and defensive. No one is insulting your faith -- we all understand why you might choose to be religious, and we don't need your sarcasm.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:00 pm

moshei24 wrote:Weird things as in religion?

I sense butts have been hurt.

Dude, some religions are just "weird" in the sense they have socially aberrant customs. Like it or not, law is still a waspy profession, so to law students, some of the things that Scientologists or Mormons or, yes, really Orthodox Jews do are going to seem weird. It doesn't necessarily implying anything about your character.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:00 pm

moshei24 wrote:

Weird things as in religion?

Yes :)

But there is no need to delve into this. Enjoy GULC

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:All these people going on the internet talking about how they graduated college early cause they had no social life and need a law school environment that will accomodate some syncophantic plebeian pedantic bullshit actually do need to get laid

It IS possible to graduate college early while drinking and partying, having sex and generally fitting in socially, even if they tend to be people who could be described as a little neurotic or high-strung.

Everyone at a T14 has to be a little antisocial during 1L at times, even the super-relaxed UVA bros with a 3.5 who pretend they never study.

sure. wasn't talking about you mono. wasn't even thinking about you when I wrote it.

and 1L i'll be studying as hard as anyone else. I'm talking about collegiate and prelaw experiences. I've had my share of fun, but I would start law school never having left the nest

and p.s. anyone graduating early is choosing to leave college -- people on TLS all say " oh i didn't have enough money " which is largely bullshit since unless they have a full ride, they're about to spend a shitload more on grad school. Also for the record, plenty of poeple have negative college experiences and I don't blame them. I didn't like my UG freshmen yr either. But then going immediately back to school is NOT the answer - do something else first
Last edited by jbagelboy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:03 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Your attitude towards people posting on an online forum to HELP you make a choice is rather disturbing though. You should be thankful, not retaliatory and defensive. No one is insulting your faith -- we all understand why you might choose to be religious, and we don't need your sarcasm.

I dunno if he should be THAT thankful - most of us, myself included, have shit all over his threads.

The hostility certainly doesn't help, though. I think it was clear jbagel's and sinf's comments weren't directed toward being orthodox.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:03 pm

I don't think anyone is saying don't be religious.

Personally I'm just saying that you somehow need to acquire some self-awareness and proper prospective. The religious stuff is just a small part of that.

And that's not an attack on you, that's career advice. Because if how you act here is representative of how you will act in three years you're going to have a tough time in any professional setting IMO.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:08 pm

I have only gotten defensive when people did attack me. The end.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:11 pm

moshei24 wrote:I have only gotten defensive when people did attack me. The end.

attacking you =/= giving you advice. you respond to the latter as though it were the former

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:17 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
moshei24 wrote:I have only gotten defensive when people did attack me. The end.

attacking you =/= giving you advice. you respond to the latter as though it were the former

Our advice is generally like, "dude, stop being such a tool".

Which he is, but that's not exceptionally helpful. The only useful piece of advice this forum has given Moshe is to not settle for less than T14 with his 170.

Moshe got himself into this, but don't act like we come out a lot better.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:19 pm

I have yet to attack someone for giving me advice. I may question advice because that's what it's for. It's meant to create a discussion. I'm sorry if all of your egos are too big for that.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:23 pm

"You're judging my suitability to be around children based on what exactly? One really annoying six-year-old I slowly bludgeoned to death? LOL. That's one child out of dozens I've interacted with in my life. And it was the only one I've ever harmed."

A single event can be plenty telling about someone's character. No one writes a message like that, sends it, polls a forum on its appropriateness, and then continues to defend it without suffering deficits in maturity and self-awareness. It's one thing to write something like that in a moment of pique, but a well-adjusted person should have a battery of internal "WTF am I thinking?" sirens going off shortly thereafter.

drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:Be careful. Pretty sure Big Zuck is a grumpy 37 year old who only breaks from RETAKE replies to mention his triumphs of a former life "chilling out, getting laid/drunk."

Sounds like fun...

Siding with this person against BigZuck likely says much more about you than anyone else.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:23 pm

moshei24 wrote:I have yet to attack someone for giving me advice. I may question advice because that's what it's for. It's meant to create a discussion. I'm sorry if all of your egos are too big for that.

You should realize that the prevailing wisdom around here is that if you can, you should take a year off to get some work experience (you say you have a good job you can work) and reapply if it can provide you any benefit at all. Or even just to gain some experience in the real world before committing yourself to service 200k in debt.

That is what people were alluding to, which is very solid advice, even if it were spoken in a masked form ( this is the internet after all)

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:26 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

sure. wasn't talking about you mono. wasn't even thinking about you when I wrote it.

and 1L i'll be studying as hard as anyone else. I'm talking about collegiate and prelaw experiences. I've had my share of fun, but I would start law school never having left the nest

and p.s. anyone graduating early is choosing to leave college -- people on TLS all say " oh i didn't have enough money " which is largely bullshit since unless they have a full ride, they're about to spend a shitload more on grad school. Also for the record, plenty of poeple have negative college experiences and I don't blame them. I didn't like my UG freshmen yr either. But then going immediately back to school is NOT the answer - do something else first

I mean, if you're planning on going to law school anyway, you can save money compared to staying the full four and then going. So they may legitimately "not have had the money" in a sense that it was a mechanism not to go into deeper debt than they're already planning to. I personally had a ton of fun in five semesters, but there are two ways it works against you: First, it does a number on your GPA when you're consistently taking big courseloads--take it from me, it's really hard to keep a good GPA if you drink and party AND go to a decent school AND are taking an accelerated courseload. There are people that do it, but they're miracle workers. Second, you're really young come OCI, and it makes it harder for firms to take you seriously.

But again, nobody should go through college fast at the expense of partying and developing social skills. It was critical for me because when I got to UG I didn't really know how to fit in at a party. Having practiced that for a few years makes me much more confident in social situations, which is a really important skill to have in a field like law. It's not enough to be technically and intellectually competent, you have to come across like a normal human being. A recruiter is going to hire the 3.5 who won't creep clients out over the 3.7 weirdo every time.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”