Duke vs Georgetown (20k/yr) vs. Reapplying Next Cycle Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which of the following is the best option?

Duke
29%
Georgetown (20k/yr)
42%
Reapplying Next Cycle
29%

Total votes: 45

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Duke vs Georgetown (20k/yr) vs. Reapplying Next Cycle

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Ti Malice wrote: "You're judging my suitability to be around children based on what exactly? One really annoying six-year-old I slowly bludgeoned to death? LOL. That's one child out of dozens I've interacted with in my life. And it was the only one I've ever harmed."
I lol'd. I see how you got into yale now -- it was all stand-up.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
moshei24 wrote:You're basing how I speak to people in power based on what exactly? One email I sent to Cardozo? LOL. That's one email out of dozwn I've been sending out to admissions people to discuss things, etc. And it was the only one that sounded like.
"You're judging my suitability to be around children based on what exactly? One really annoying six-year-old I slowly bludgeoned to death? LOL. That's one child out of dozens I've interacted with in my life. And it was the only one I've ever harmed."

A single event can be plenty telling about someone's character. No one writes a message like that, sends it, polls a forum on its appropriateness, and then continues to defend it without suffering deficits in maturity and self-awareness. It's one thing to write something like that in a moment of pique, but a well-adjusted person should have a battery of internal "WTF am I thinking?" sirens going off shortly thereafter.
drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:Be careful. Pretty sure Big Zuck is a grumpy 37 year old who only breaks from RETAKE replies to mention his triumphs of a former life "chilling out, getting laid/drunk."

Sounds like fun...
Siding with this person against BigZuck likely says much more about you than anyone else.

I wrote it for a purpose. I know how it sounded. I think you need to take a step back and realize that.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:30 pm

There isn't 200K debt, and look at the poll. It's not as clear as you say. Whatever. This thread is turning into a waste of time. Peace, y'all.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:34 pm

moshei24 wrote:There isn't 200K debt, and look at the poll. It's not as clear as you say. Whatever. This thread is turning into a waste of time. Peace, y'all.
shalom kiddo

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:36 pm

moshei24 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
moshei24 wrote:You're basing how I speak to people in power based on what exactly? One email I sent to Cardozo? LOL. That's one email out of dozwn I've been sending out to admissions people to discuss things, etc. And it was the only one that sounded like.
"You're judging my suitability to be around children based on what exactly? One really annoying six-year-old I slowly bludgeoned to death? LOL. That's one child out of dozens I've interacted with in my life. And it was the only one I've ever harmed."

A single event can be plenty telling about someone's character. No one writes a message like that, sends it, polls a forum on its appropriateness, and then continues to defend it without suffering deficits in maturity and self-awareness. It's one thing to write something like that in a moment of pique, but a well-adjusted person should have a battery of internal "WTF am I thinking?" sirens going off shortly thereafter.
drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:Be careful. Pretty sure Big Zuck is a grumpy 37 year old who only breaks from RETAKE replies to mention his triumphs of a former life "chilling out, getting laid/drunk."

Sounds like fun...
Siding with this person against BigZuck likely says much more about you than anyone else.

I wrote it for a purpose. I know how it sounded. I think you need to take a step back and realize that.
Was your purpose to look like a prick in front of Cardozo and, well, everyone you showed it to? What exactly did that email accomplish that normal, polite behavior couldn't have?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:38 pm

moshei24 wrote:There isn't 200K debt, and look at the poll. It's not as clear as you say. Whatever. This thread is turning into a waste of time. Peace, y'all.
Sigh.
Whatever.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:02 pm

This guy's email comes in second to the "Let me in, Harvard" email guy on my "This poster has absolutely zero clue how a normal human being is going to react to this" rankings.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:16 pm

moshei24 wrote:Dear everybody:

My options have changed. GULC offered me 20k/yr this morning. My issue with Duke is that Orthodox Jewish life there would make the QoL Hell for me. Plus, it's really far from my life in NYC. Fordham is now out of the picture, as they only offered me 25k/yr. My other option is reapplying in the Fall, as my numbers are 3.49/165/170 and I applied at the end of Jan this cycle and didn't get the 170 until the Feb LSAT.
What do you base this on? I have no idea why this would be the case

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bruin91

Bronze

Post by bruin91 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:37 pm

I have a Jewish friend who goes to Duke for undergrad and she is extremely involved with the Jewish life there.

Go to Duke, OP.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:This guy's email comes in second to the "Let me in, Harvard" email guy on my "This poster has absolutely zero clue how a normal human being is going to react to this" rankings.
lol. yea that guy takes the cake. he's made like 17 threads in the past week

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:52 pm

I think a lot of you need to research the difference between Orthodox Judaism and not orthodox. The Jewish life there isn't orthodox, and if you aren't orthodox, you don't any problems with kosher and Shabbos and holidays. I spoke to the orthodox ppl who live there - the literally handful of them - and got the consensus that if livable you need a car and even then it's extremely difficult to the point of major distraction and they are all married. No one not married there who's Jewish. Plus I'm not set on biglaw anyway, which I've stressed multiple times.

Thank you all for your advice, though. The people who didn't attack me over and over again based on nothing, specifically.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:04 pm

here ya go OP: http://www.betheldurham.org/

they have an orthodox union there. You just gotta get a place within walking distance for Shabbos.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:14 pm

I suppose choosing a law school based on the perceived local availability of kosher foods is not the most ridiculous decision ive read on TLS this week

It takes a village, right?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I suppose choosing a law school based on the perceived local availability of kosher foods is not the most ridiculous decision ive read on TLS this week

Can't you just buy kosher food at any respectable grocery store? They have a Kroger near campus.

I just don't get it. I also don't get how me saying "Chill kid, maybe consider not going to law school right now" is an "attack." That seems way over-dramatic to me. Shit, my boss "attacked" me twice today with way worse stuff than that.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:25 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I suppose choosing a law school based on the perceived local availability of kosher foods is not the most ridiculous decision ive read on TLS this week

Can't you just buy kosher food at any respectable grocery store? They have a Kroger near campus.

I just don't get it. I also don't get how me saying "Chill kid, maybe consider not going to law school right now" is an "attack." That seems way over-dramatic to me. Shit, my boss "attacked" me twice today with way worse stuff than that.
Lol I was thinking OP should just have his parents send him all his food as their CoL contribution for guaranteed kosher status in case OP saw a black guy outside the krogers and got scared & had to go hungry that day

Also fyi the degree to which you enforce your orthodoxy is totally your choice brosef. My jewish side of the family ranges from wont-use-a-cell-on-sabbath freakoids to agnostic
Marxist bacon loving stoners. Its not like god cares, you're already chosen so YOLO

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:33 pm

It's funny how everyone's telling me what's there. I did the research. I spoke to the people who live there, which is better than research. I find it funny how people are telling me how to practice my religion. From what I've learned, it's not logical to live there. That shul is conservative and has an orthodox minyan Shabbos day. It's 2.5 miles from campus. Shabbos meals and holiday meals will be a major pain. Finding meat will be a pain. Shall I go on? I will need a car there. I will need to spend a lot of time cooking there. The QoL will be Hell. Please learn about Orthodox Judaism before you tell me what's simple and what's not. It just doesn't make sense that you all are telling me what is and is not doable when you don't understand it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Driving and cooking is Hell? Are you serious?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Thank you for the links, Regulus. :mrgreen:

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Car cost is a lot and no, regular cooking is easy. It's cooking for Shabbos and holidays and finding that food that is hell. Too tint consuming and annoying. Again, stop making assumptions before actually learning about it. As you could see, pretty much all of your assumptions have been wrong.

bruin91

Bronze

Post by bruin91 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Last edited by bruin91 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Isn't Georgetown's tuition lower than Duke by 4K per year? 48K vs. 52K, no? Georgetown's LRAP is better, plus you are better positioned there to actually take advantage of LRAP.

As an aside, I was looking at Duke's website, and there is a really disturbing footnote to the LRAP thing - if disbursements ever get larger than the annual funding for the program, then they will lower each enrolled person's benefit by an equal amount...womp womp womp

All I'm sayin is you'd have to have a lot of chutzpah to choose Duke here.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Elitist pricks at US News won't include what REALLY matters. If OP winds up at Cardozo, I'll laugh my ass off.
moshei24 wrote: I will need a car there. I will need to spend a lot of time cooking there. The QoL will be Hell.
"Which of the following describes a weakness in the above argument?"

A. The poster's conclusion doesn't follow from the premises at all.
B. The poster has made four threads asking for advice, then claims upon it being received that he is being "attacked."
C. The poster has shown significantly more concern for finding cheeseburger-free zones than which school might actually get him a job.
D. The poster actually wrote an email to a law school calling their hold a "slap in the face" and saw no problems with that.
justonemoregame wrote:All I'm sayin is you'd have to have a lot of chutzpah to choose Duke here.
He did something there, and I saw what it was.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:06 pm

I gotta say, I'm starting to really like moshei. I think he's fucking hilarious. Probably because he reminds me of a friend I had in high school. He was *just* like this - lead in with something "innocent," then keep feeding the wolves with ridiculousness until they were hungry enough to feed on each other.

Come on down to G-town Moshe, I'll cook you up some shit from this, I actually have a copy, don't scoff, it's delicious:

http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Princess-C ... +cook+book

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:22 pm

OP, you wouldn't be the first Orthodox Jew to go to Durham for law school. I fucking go to duke and know Orthodox Jews there. People do this all the time.

It's cool if you like GULC or Fordham better. That's easy to understand and if you like those better, you should go there. But don't pull this "I did my research on durham/you don't know what orthodoxy is" bullshit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”