GWU part-time ($$) vs Re-take

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JoeStrummer

GWU part-time ($$) vs Re-take

Postby JoeStrummer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:23 am

Applied to a bunch of places this cycle and didn't get anything I loved, was planning a re-take and re-apply. GWU got in touch with me recently to offer what they claim to be the maximum scholarship for their part-time program.

COA: 152k

Financing: I'll be able to maintain my employment, taking home about $62k/yr. Whatever I can't cover in cash, I can borrow from my folks - bottom line, I won't have to take out any loans.

Locations: From Detroit, living in DC. Looking to stay in DC, as per the career goals below.

Career: Background is in engineering and patent prosecution (4yrs WE currently), looking to switch to litigation and international IP. Dream job would be as an IP attache for PTO/Commerce. Failing that or a related gig, PTAB judge/prosecutor or working at an IP boutique.

LSAT/GPA: 167/3.0

LSAT Attempts: 1

My real concern here is how much a re-take can help me, since my UGPA is going to handicap me anywhere in the T14 - locks me out of HYS and is going to require 172+ to get any real money elsewhere. Was expecting above a 170 on my previous attempt, as I was PT'ing around 172-175 consistently, so I'd say that's not out of the question - still sitting on a 167 until that happens, though. Yeah, I know I should've re-taken already to help my apps this cycle. I have no excuses, I'm an idiot and quit before I should've.

My plan was to re-take in Oct and Dec this year and to apply next cycle to GWU and GULC part-time, as well as UVA if my LSAT was good enough to warrant some decent money there (I did not apply to either GULC or UVA this year). My concerns are that a) if my score improves, it won't improve enough to get me a comparable offer from GULC next year; b) if my score doesn't improve, I won't be able to get the same offer from GWU next year - really, this is the more pressing issue.

I think the scholarship offer from GWU is fair considering my numbers and that I'd get a good network in DC, particularly in IP; I'm not sure that GULC would be worth the likely higher cost and waiting a year to roll the dice on a re-take. Still doing to research on how much in scholarships I could expect from GULC based on increased LSAT numbers. Currently leaning toward the re-take Just wondering what the hivemind has to say about re-taking in this instance - thanks, y'all.

jbagelboy

Re: GWU part-time ($$) vs Re-take

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Are you patent bar eligible? do you have any legitimate credentials for IP?

Your deal doesn't seem that bad, but fuck man it seems like you're making $80K+ right now in DC. I don't really understand what a law degree will do for you. There's a roughly 70% chance attending GWU that you will come out making less than you make now in a legal career. I realize you can keep your job, but if its FT making that much money, it's probably pretty working intensive and you might not be able to apply much time toward law school, further limiting your ability to compete for top quarter of the class (which you would need to lock up OCI).

So from an opportunity cost perspective, going to GWU gets you little beyond what you have, and would require you to spend a lot of your income. If you have been PTing at 172+, then you should be able to score minimum 170. Even a 171/3.0 would give you a fighting chance at Northwestern or UVA, which does well in DC. Your family support will apply either way, and you should be able to save a lot of money if your take home pay is $60K+ (FWIW, that's more than I made this past after-tax this year, and I'm in a relatively lucrative/prestigious field)

retake is TCR given your PT averages, your single testing & your current salary

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Retake and ED UVA

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:53 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Are you patent bar eligible? do you have any legitimate credentials for IP?

Your deal doesn't seem that bad, but fuck man it seems like you're making $80K+ right now in DC. I don't really understand what a law degree will do for you. There's a roughly 70% chance attending GWU that you will come out making less than you make now in a legal career. I realize you can keep your job, but if its FT making that much money, it's probably pretty working intensive and you might not be able to apply much time toward law school, further limiting your ability to compete for top quarter of the class (which you would need to lock up OCI).

I agree with pretty much all of this. OP, are you sure you want to be a lawyer?

JoeStrummer

Postby JoeStrummer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:32 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Are you patent bar eligible? do you have any legitimate credentials for IP?

Yes, patent bar eligible -please define "legitimate credentials".

Your deal doesn't seem that bad, but fuck man it seems like you're making $80K+ right now in DC. I don't really understand what a law degree will do for you.

It's not about the money as much as giving me other opportunities in the public sector. My B.Eng isn't getting me anywhere and I'm about to top out on the GS scale.

There's a roughly 70% chance attending GWU that you will come out making less than you make now in a legal career.

Is that based on GW's overall employment stats? Because the worst case here is that I keep my current job until something better comes along. This is sort of the crux of the issue, really - is a GWU law degree really going to help me?

I realize you can keep your job, but if its FT making that much money, it's probably pretty working intensive and you might not be able to apply much time toward law school, further limiting your ability to compete for top quarter of the class (which you would need to lock up OCI).

Its full-time, although I have the option to work reduced-time for a corresponding salary decrease (hence the reason I'm mostly looking at part-time programs). Scheduling is absurdly flexible, plenty of people here do the work/school thing.

So from an opportunity cost perspective, going to GWU gets you little beyond what you have, and would require you to spend a lot of your income. If you have been PTing at 172+, then you should be able to score minimum 170. Even a 171/3.0 would give you a fighting chance at Northwestern or UVA, which does well in DC. Your family support will apply either way, and you should be able to save a lot of money if your take home pay is $60K+ (FWIW, that's more than I made this past after-tax this year, and I'm in a relatively lucrative/prestigious field)

retake is TCR given your PT averages, your single testing & your current salary

Saw that coming.

Couple of things I noted in the OP that I'm still looking for input on: what are the chances I get the same offer from GW next year with the same LSAT? With a higher LSAT?

Assuming I can bring my score above 172 (huge assumption, I know): GULC doesn't do much/any merit aid for part-time, so I'm looking at $270k COA over 4 years there while keeping my job. UVA and NU would be close to sticker, and there I wouldn't be able to maintain my job so I'd be looking at signficicant debt in those situations. Any thoughts on whether or not the increased prestige from GULC would justify the additional cost/time/effort? Assuing sticker at MI, VA, Penn, Duke, NU -

JoeStrummer

Postby JoeStrummer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:33 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:

I agree with pretty much all of this. OP, are you sure you want to be a lawyer?

Nah man, I just need somewhere to spend all of this money and free time during the prime years of my life.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”