GWU part-time ($$) vs Re-take

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JoeStrummer

GWU part-time ($$) vs Re-take

Postby JoeStrummer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:23 am

Last edited by JoeStrummer on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Re: GWU part-time ($$) vs Re-take

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Are you patent bar eligible? do you have any legitimate credentials for IP?

Your deal doesn't seem that bad, but fuck man it seems like you're making $80K+ right now in DC. I don't really understand what a law degree will do for you. There's a roughly 70% chance attending GWU that you will come out making less than you make now in a legal career. I realize you can keep your job, but if its FT making that much money, it's probably pretty working intensive and you might not be able to apply much time toward law school, further limiting your ability to compete for top quarter of the class (which you would need to lock up OCI).

So from an opportunity cost perspective, going to GWU gets you little beyond what you have, and would require you to spend a lot of your income. If you have been PTing at 172+, then you should be able to score minimum 170. Even a 171/3.0 would give you a fighting chance at Northwestern or UVA, which does well in DC. Your family support will apply either way, and you should be able to save a lot of money if your take home pay is $60K+ (FWIW, that's more than I made this past after-tax this year, and I'm in a relatively lucrative/prestigious field)

retake is TCR given your PT averages, your single testing & your current salary

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Retake and ED UVA

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:53 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Are you patent bar eligible? do you have any legitimate credentials for IP?

Your deal doesn't seem that bad, but fuck man it seems like you're making $80K+ right now in DC. I don't really understand what a law degree will do for you. There's a roughly 70% chance attending GWU that you will come out making less than you make now in a legal career. I realize you can keep your job, but if its FT making that much money, it's probably pretty working intensive and you might not be able to apply much time toward law school, further limiting your ability to compete for top quarter of the class (which you would need to lock up OCI).

I agree with pretty much all of this. OP, are you sure you want to be a lawyer?

JoeStrummer

Postby JoeStrummer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Last edited by JoeStrummer on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeStrummer

Postby JoeStrummer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”