Location v. Ranking

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Suits99

Location v. Ranking

Postby Suits99 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Do you guys recommend that I should apply to the best possible law schools that are in my GPA/LSAT range, or should I apply to only schools in my region/the region that I wish to practice law in. I am from MA but unfortunately I don't think I can get into BC or BU-my numbers however do look good enough to get into Northeastern Law and definitely Suffolk Law. However, a bunch of higher ranked schools outside my region are also in my range; however I don't want to actually practice law outside of NE. Is it common/uncommon for one to attend law school far from the region that he or she wishes to practice in?

Thanks.

IAFG

Re: Location v. Ranking

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 pm

refuckingtake. if you can't get BU or BC you should not be blowing your wad on LS at all.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:41 pm

After the top 14 schools, region, region, region.

Go to the best school in the area you wish to practice for as cheap as possible.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Unless you get into a truly national school, you should definitely attend school in the region in which you want to practice. However, before everyone else comes in here and warns you in all caps, do not attend any of the schools you listed without knowing what you get yourself into:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=northweastern
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=suffolk

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:48 pm

+1 for "Northweastern."

Suits99

Postby Suits99 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:03 pm

IAFG wrote:refuckingtake. if you can't get BU or BC you should not be blowing your wad on LS at all.

Northeastern still is a T-1 school, BC and BU are both in the top 20, its not as if they are easy to get accepted to. I would love to go to BC, I have a 3.3 and a 162 LSAT which is just slightly below the minimum to even have a realistic shot.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:06 pm

T-1 is schools from 1-50, BU and BC are in the top 30. I mean, rankings are dumb, but if you're going to rely on them it's probably good to get them right.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:22 pm

You need to retake. 3.3 isn't great, but with an upper 160s score, you can get into BC/BU and probably get money from them if you get like 168 or above. Do that. Anything less than a ~half ride at BU/BC isn't worth it.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:22 pm

Suits99 wrote:
IAFG wrote:refuckingtake. if you can't get BU or BC you should not be blowing your wad on LS at all.

Northeastern still is a T-1 school, BC and BU are both in the top 20, its not as if they are easy to get accepted to. I would love to go to BC, I have a 3.3 and a 162 LSAT which is just slightly below the minimum to even have a realistic shot.

that is why you need to retake. don't be stupid, look at the employment statistics.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:T-1 is schools from 1-50, BU and BC are in the top 30. I mean, rankings are dumb, but if you're going to rely on them it's probably good to get them right.

Lolthis

Also, what does is matter what Northeastern is ranked when less than half of their graduates get real lawyer jobs?http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=northweastern

...yeah, whats up with that link?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:50 pm

Even if you were admitted to BC, it wouldnt be a good option or a safe choice until you hit about a $30/year scholarship w/ family help on living expenses, or a $22-25K scholly living at home. Same with BU. You do realize these schools require loaning money from the federal government, right? Or are you a trust fund hold out, cause it would help for us to know that.

162/3.3 wont do much for you unless you are Urm (some AA girl girl got into CLS this cycle with 3.3/162, crazy shit goes down). Retake for 168+ and you'll havea solid shot at the boston schools. 171+ and you can play for NU.

Suits99

Postby Suits99 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:59 pm

I have financial support and can afford to go anywhere , my only concern is getting into a T-1 school.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:14 am

Suits99 wrote:I have financial support and can afford to go anywhere , my only concern is getting into a T-1 school.

Your only concern should be retaking. Spend some of your apparently copious money on a decent prep course.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

Suits99 wrote:I have financial support and can afford to go anywhere , my only concern is getting into a T-1 school.

If that's the case, you are misguided (assuming this isn't a flame). Your only concern should be maximizing your chances of graduating with the type of job you want.

gatorfan163287

Postby gatorfan163287 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:09 am

rad lulz wrote:

Just because you have money doesn't mean you should go to a school from which you will probably not get a legal job

/thread

Suits99

Postby Suits99 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 am

Posts definitely went off topic but thanks guys that helped. Also just a note, I am not rich I was stating however that I do have the money to pay for law school and that scholarship money is not the determining factor for me, the quality of the school is.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:16 am

Then retake so you can get into a quality school.

Northeastern isn't one.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:23 am

150K+ to blow on whatevs= rich. Sorry bro.

Fucking America. Everyone wants to be rich but when you actually are and somebody says you are you have to get all pissy and act like it's an insult.

OP, if you want to go to a quality school go to a T14. Then you can be pretty well assured that you will find legal employment and because of your wealth you won't have to worry about it being high paying.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:20 am

Suits99 wrote:I'm not rich guys I just have $200k laying around to blow on law school. But seriously, I'm not rich.

P.S. no school in MA south of BU/BC is worth attending.

Suits99

Postby Suits99 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:40 am

You guys seem to not get it, or maybe I don't and I won't be offended if you tell me so. I am under the impression that any of the top 100 laws schools that this website lists are worth going to. I obviously understand that certain law schools give you a better shot at a good job, but it seems that you are arguing that the bottom 50 law schools in the top 100 are terrible and there is no chance you can practice law if you go to them. How could these schools still exist if everyone that goes to them graduates and then does nothing related to law? For example, Maine Law is ranked 100th in the country and is the only law school in Maine, yet you are telling me that everyone that goes to Maine Law, or the majority of students, will not be able to find a job in Maine, only those who attended T-1 schools can get a job there?

And in terms of being rich or not rich, I am not saying I can just drop 200k on anything I want such as an expensive sports car, I am saying that I am well off enough that I am willing to pay to go to the best law school possible because being a lawyer is a huge goal of mine. I would not however drop 200k on a legal education that I did not think would get me a job, and thus this is why I am posting in the forums to find out what schools are worth going to and what schools are not-and it seems that everyone thinks anything less than a top 30 school is a waste.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 am

Suits99 wrote:You guys seem to not get it, or maybe I don't and I won't be offended if you tell me so. I am under the impression that any of the top 100 laws schools that this website lists are worth going to.

What? No.

look at job stats on http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

the likely outcomes at schools ranked below 13 are either a low salary practicing law or not practicing law at all.

def not worth going more than 100k in debt for. Ever.
Last edited by Nova on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 am

Suits99 wrote:You guys seem to not get it, or maybe I don't and I won't be offended if you tell me so. I am under the impression that any of the top 100 laws schools that this website lists are worth going to. I obviously understand that certain law schools give you a better shot at a good job, but it seems that you are arguing that the bottom 50 law schools in the top 100 are terrible and there is no chance you can practice law if you go to them. How could these schools still exist if everyone that goes to them graduates and then does nothing related to law? For example, Maine Law is ranked 100th in the country and is the only law school in Maine, yet you are telling me that everyone that goes to Maine Law, or the majority of students, will not be able to find a job in Maine, only those who attended T-1 schools can get a job there?

And in terms of being rich or not rich, I am not saying I can just drop 200k on anything I want such as an expensive sports car, I am saying that I am well off enough that I am willing to pay to go to the best law school possible because being a lawyer is a huge goal of mine. I would not however drop 200k on a legal education that I did not think would get me a job, and thus this is why I am posting in the forums to find out what schools are worth going to and what schools are not-and it seems that everyone thinks anything less than a top 30 school is a waste.

Top 30 schools can be foolish bets depending on the applicant and cost. I would never go to some of them myself. Hell, I think a school like Georgetown (a T14) is a bad call for the vast majority of applicants.

I'll let everyone else tackle the rest of what you said.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:50 am

Suits99 wrote:Posts definitely went off topic but thanks guys that helped. Also just a note, I am not rich I was stating however that I do have the money to pay for law school and that scholarship money is not the determining factor for me, the quality of the school is.

None of the schools you are considering are quality schools. You'd be looking at a mediocre law job, if any.

And yes, money is important. Not much of a fiscal conservative, I see.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:56 am

Your impression of both the worth of schools and the argument made here is incorrect. Not all of the top 100 law schools are worth going to. The rankings are a measure of prestige, basically, which sometimes but not always correlates to job outcomes. The reason we're telling you not to go to Northeastern is because the outcomes from there are not good: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=northweastern . Maine is also not a good plan, though that likely has more to do with the overall lack of lawyer jobs in Maine (given that large firms on the east coast wind up in places like NYC, Boston, or Philadelphia, not Portland, ME).

Basically, there are two kinds of schools you should consider:
1. T14 schools. These schools have high employment rates, portability, prestige, and placement ability. They cost a lot, but you'll likely be able to obtain the kind of job that allows you to pay off the debt you incur attending one of them.
2. The top regional school in the state you want to work, with a good scholarship to keep your costs down. This is why people are telling you to retake until you can get into BU/BC--those two schools are pretty much tied in terms of their ability to get you a job in Boston. Neither will give you Harvard-level outcomes, of course, but they place about 2/3 of their grads into long-term, full-time, bar passage required jobs--as opposed to Northeastern, which costs just as much as BC and BU but places only 41.5% of its graduates into long-term, full-time, bar passage required jobs--and the jobs available from NE will pay significantly less and have significantly fewer advancement opportunities.

It's important to note that this second category has absolutely nothing to do with ranking; outside of the T14, location and market saturation are far, far more important than rank. So if you wanted to work in, say, Nevada, then UNLV (ranked 68) would be a much better choice than Fordham (ranked 38), especially if you could get a scholarship to UNLV and considering the absurd cost of living in NYC.

Basically, outside of the T14, you should ignore ranking entirely and focus on employment outcomes. Not every T100 school is a good idea; in fact, many if not most of them are bad ideas, particularly at sticker. You want to work in MA, so you need to retake until you can either a) go to a T14 school or b) get a scholarship at BC or BU. Northeastern is a waste of your time and money.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”