Utah vs. UW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Who wants a poll?

Utah (COA approx $45-75k)
92%
UW (COA approx $90-95k)
8%

Total votes: 12

nickb285

Utah vs. UW

Postby nickb285 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Oh look, another one of these.

Just got off the waitlist at UW, with an offer of $20k/year scholarship guarantee, bringing total COA (including some savings and parental assistance) to about $90-95k. I'm currently deposited at Utah, with an offer of $14k/year renewable as top 40%, in-state sticker otherwise, bringing my COA to $45k (if I keep the scholly) or $60-75k (if I lose it).

I want to work in the Mountain West, but PNW would also be good, so I wouldn't mind staying in Washington/Oregon if I couldn't find anything back here. No ties in the PNW, don't have any legal connections in Utah but I've lived here for almost two decades. My career interests are government (obviously fedgov would be nice but state or local would be fine too), criminal prosecution, or environmental public interest--I'd be open to civil litigation as well but these will be what I gun for, assuming nothing changes after the first couple months in LS. I have no interest in the biglaw lifestyle; I can do it if I have to, but I'd really rather not.

Major concerns:

1. Cost. Utah being half as much as UW makes it almost a no-brainer, but that's where I run into:
2. Stips on the Utah scholarship--I've tried to talk them off it, but they're sticklers on the stips. Utah at $45k is a much more obvious decision than Utah at $75k.
3. Ties/socializing--I don't know anyone in Seattle; here in Utah I've got a good social group already, I wouldn't have to move, my family lives here, etc.
4. Job prospects--LST puts them at about the same (60% at Utah, 67% at UW for LTFTBPR), with UW having better odds for government/PI work.

I'm still leaning Utah, but the scholarship offer from UW came out of the blue, and the stips at Utah still bother me. Anyone have any thoughts?

Nova

Re: Utah vs. UW

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:35 pm

UU

strong ties + cheaper ftw

Forget USNWR. The only arguement that could be made for UW is that its worth 20-50k for that 7% additional chance of practicing law. Becasue you would be an outsider, that % would be diminished.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:37 pm

95k for UW?

Hell no brah

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Can Utah get someone to Denver without CO ties?

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:30 pm

nickb285 wrote:Oh look, another one of these.

Just got off the waitlist at UW, with an offer of $20k/year scholarship guarantee, bringing total COA (including some savings and parental assistance) to about $90-95k. I'm currently deposited at Utah, with an offer of $14k/year renewable as top 40%, in-state sticker otherwise, bringing my COA to $45k (if I keep the scholly) or $60-75k (if I lose it).

I want to work in the Mountain West, but PNW would also be good, so I wouldn't mind staying in Washington/Oregon if I couldn't find anything back here. No ties in the PNW, don't have any legal connections in Utah but I've lived here for almost two decades. My career interests are government (obviously fedgov would be nice but state or local would be fine too), criminal prosecution, or environmental public interest--I'd be open to civil litigation as well but these will be what I gun for, assuming nothing changes after the first couple months in LS. I have no interest in the biglaw lifestyle; I can do it if I have to, but I'd really rather not.

Major concerns:

1. Cost. Utah being half as much as UW makes it almost a no-brainer, but that's where I run into:
2. Stips on the Utah scholarship--I've tried to talk them off it, but they're sticklers on the stips. Utah at $45k is a much more obvious decision than Utah at $75k.
3. Ties/socializing--I don't know anyone in Seattle; here in Utah I've got a good social group already, I wouldn't have to move, my family lives here, etc.
4. Job prospects--LST puts them at about the same (60% at Utah, 67% at UW for LTFTBPR), with UW having better odds for government/PI work.

I'm still leaning Utah, but the scholarship offer from UW came out of the blue, and the stips at Utah still bother me. Anyone have any thoughts?

To me, it looks like all signs point to the U (if not just for the fact that UW @ $95k is pretty risky). There are some great law firms in SLC, and given your ties to the area, you would seem to be a better fit in Utah. Ties seem to go a long way here.

Also, c'mon... the U outranked BYU this year in the rankings. That's a good omen if I've ever seen one. :wink:

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:27 pm

jselson wrote:Can Utah get someone to Denver without CO ties?

Unlikely. I suspect not impossible - clerking in Denver after graduation would help - but tough. I suppose it would depend on why you'd go to Utah over CU or DU, and how well you could spin that. Also depends on what you want to do; the PD is pretty welcoming, but if you're looking for biglaw (to the extent there is any in Denver) it would be very very tough; you'd have to hammer any alumni/other networks, and probably be at the top of your class.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:To me, it looks like all signs point to the U (if not just for the fact that UW @ $95k is pretty risky). There are some great law firms in SLC, and given your ties to the area, you would seem to be a better fit in Utah. Ties seem to go a long way here.

This is the way I'm leaning as well. I'm just reluctant to pass up on UW without having visited or anything. Probably the better choice though. I just wish LS were like UG, where you could pretty much go wherever and not have to worry about location so much. Also stips leave a bad taste in my mouth, but that's probably not something on which I should base a decision.

PRgradBYU wrote:Also, c'mon... the U outranked BYU this year in the rankings. That's a good omen if I've ever seen one. :wink:

Also a fair point.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”