. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jingosaur

Gold

Re: For-Profit Law Schools: InfiLaw

Post by jingosaur » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:35 am

A coworker's friend went to Florida Coastal. He had a job lined up with his dad's real estate business in the Northeast and went because he got the $25k "scholarship" and knew he had the job. The guy said he had a great experience and part of the reason why he went was because he wanted to go to school in good weather and play golf year round and blah blah blah. His other option was Pace, so I assume that his scores weren't that great either. Hopefully he never has to find a job that isn't his dad's business.

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Infilaw is owned by Sterling Partners, a private equity fund based in Chicago that focuses on Education, business services and healthcare. They also own Sylvan Learning Centers and Laureate International Universities, the "largest international provider of higher education"

http://www.sterlingpartners.com/

I don't think private equity is inherently bad, but their sole goal is to generate a 20%+ return in 4-5 years, not to establish a long-lasting educational institution for the good of society.

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:35 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:Infilaw is owned by Sterling Partners, a private equity fund based in Chicago that focuses on Education, business services and healthcare. They also own Sylvan Learning Centers and Laureate International Universities, the "largest international provider of higher education"

I don't think private equity is inherently bad, but their sole goal is to generate a 20%+ return in 4-5 years, not to establish a long-lasting educational institution for the good of society.
20% in 4 to 5 years?

Where do I sign up?

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:39 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:Infilaw is owned by Sterling Partners, a private equity fund based in Chicago that focuses on Education, business services and healthcare. They also own Sylvan Learning Centers and Laureate International Universities, the "largest international provider of higher education"

20% in 4 to 5 years?

Where do I sign up?
Buy a company with about 60% debt, use cash flows to pay down debt. Sell for larger multiple in 5 years based on "growth story". Presto! 20%!

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:39 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:

20% in 4 to 5 years?

Where do I sign up?
Buy a company with about 60% debt, use cash flows to pay down debt. Sell for larger multiple in 5 years based on "growth story". Presto! 20%!
God bless America, the system works, lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:

20% in 4 to 5 years?

Where do I sign up?
God bless America, the system works, lol
Corporations are people my friends. And plenty of people grow 20% in 4-5 years.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:49 pm

If we use the words "Florida Coastal School of Law," "Charlotte School of Law," and "Infilaw" in every post ITT next to the word "garbage," can we get to the first result of google?

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:51 pm

Cicero76 wrote:If we use the words "Florida Coastal School of Law," "Charlotte School of Law," and "Infilaw" in every post ITT next to the word "garbage," can we get to the first result of google?
Not a terrible idea.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:10 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:If we use the words "Florida Coastal School of Law," "Charlotte School of Law," and "Infilaw" in every post ITT next to the word "garbage," can we get to the first result of google?
Not a terrible idea. Florida Coastal School of Law, Charlotte School of Law, and Infilaw are garbage.
Fixed this for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
Not a terrible idea. Florida Coastal School of Law, Charlotte School of Law, and Infilaw are garbage.
Fixed this for you.

scruffy556

Bronze

Post by scruffy556 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:20 pm

So is sylvan TTT now?

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:28 pm

scruffy556 wrote:

So is sylvan TTT now?
I actually have no idea, I just recognized the name because of the TV commercials. I was just giving examples of other companies Sterling Partners owns. Tutoring isn't predatory because it supplements an education instead of promising to bring big fancy careers like Infilaw and other for profit professional schools.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
Fixed this for you.
Just helping out the cause :twisted:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:58 am

jselson wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
Fixed this for you.
Thread needs moar pages and moar original content to game dem google algorithms.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:06 am

jselson wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
Fixed this for you.
Would this really make a difference even if it worked?

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:59 pm

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:05 pm

justonemoregame wrote:InfiLaw update:

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/201 ... law-school
Hopefully a good sign that the first TTTT closure is not too far away. Those enrollment declines are crazy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 pm

That article wrote:FCSL’s first-year enrollment:

2010: 808
2011: 672
2012: 571
2013: 315 (projected)
:shock:
Over 60% drop in three years...that's gotta hurt. Between this and Indiana Tech enrolling ~30 students, I think we're finally getting somewhere.
Last edited by buddyt on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:18 pm

buddyt wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:FCSL’s first-year enrollment:

2010: 808
2011: 672
2012: 571
2013: 315 (projected)
:shock:
Over 60% drop in three years...that's gotta hurt. Between this and Indiana Tech enrolling ~30 students, I think we're finally getting somewhere.

Did you read the part where the faculty feels that the admits they are getting are so low quality that they should not be in law school. So the faculty has a moral dilemma of self interest for the paycheck versus knowing they are probably ruining their students lives.

You think the faculty would be smart enough to read the writing on the wall and just get out. Find another job.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Non-profit and for-profit are both scams don't kid yourselves.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Non-profit and for-profit are both scams don't kid yourselves.
Yes I read the article about Georgetown and other schools using the student loan tuition of current students to fund their LRAP payments. This way payments on older student loans are made from the proceeds of newer student loans for tuition. This continues for 10 years until the debt is discharged. Meaning the school never has to pay a dime of its own money and the new students pay for the old.

To cover increasing costs, all the have to do is raise tuition. Problem solved.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:27 pm

The change in admit/app ratio is pretty incredible. Can't be long until we're at 100%. Clearly many people who used to only be able to get into a place like Florida Coastal are now choosing (very slightly) better schools. Keep up the good work people.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:53 pm

Regulus wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:The change in admit/app ratio is pretty incredible. Can't be long until we're at 100%. Clearly many people who used to only be able to get into a place like Florida Coastal are now choosing (very slightly) better schools. Keep up the good work people.
Hahaha yeah for real. Just to make them easier to see for everyone who is too lazy to do the math in their heads, here are the admittance rates:

Class of 2006: 36%
Class of 2007: 37%
Class of 2008: 48%
Class of 2009: 55%
Class of 2010: 62%
Class of 2011: 66%
Class of 2012: 68%
Class of 2013: 66%
Class of 2014: 74%
At what point do you think they accidentally admit the homeless guy sitting outside their depressing buildings?

Over/under on 2015?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”