. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Scotusnerd

Silver

Re: For-Profit Law Schools: InfiLaw

Post by Scotusnerd » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:24 am

timbs4339 wrote:Charleston Law is already a for-profit school.

It also already has bad employment statistics and high debt.

What boggles me about the acquisition is why everyone is making such a fuss. What exactly is the difference if the name on the door is Infilaw or not?

I think it's the difference between having a local salesman who's out to screw you over, and Walmart, who is not a local salesman and will drill the entire operation into the ground to squeeze every last cent out of it.

vicpin5190

Silver

Post by vicpin5190 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:36 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
Under a new program starting this fall, the Jacksonville law school will refund students a portion of their tuition. If a student flunks out after year one or can’t pass the bar on their second try, the school will refund $10,000 of the $40,000 annual tuition. During the three years of school, if a student does not land an internship, Florida Coastal will refund $2,000.
How generous!

Given the market and their employment stats...this seems like it may end up costing them a lot more than they think. 2K for a person is chump change in the grand scheme of the Law School price tag but if that is compounded by decent percentage in each class....ouch.

It's an interesting concession on their part, though.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:12 am

vicpin5190 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
Under a new program starting this fall, the Jacksonville law school will refund students a portion of their tuition. If a student flunks out after year one or can’t pass the bar on their second try, the school will refund $10,000 of the $40,000 annual tuition. During the three years of school, if a student does not land an internship, Florida Coastal will refund $2,000.
How generous!
Given the market and their employment stats...this seems like it may end up costing them a lot more than they think. 2K for a person is chump change in the grand scheme of the Law School price tag but if that is compounded by decent percentage in each class....ouch.

It's an interesting concession on their part, though.
If they get a few dozen more people to sign up for sticker debt, it'll be worth it. Besides, I'm sure unpaid internships count for the purposes of the 2k refund.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:31 am

Wife works with a woman who attends Charlotte School of Law (garbage) part time while she works in the type of job you shouldn't leave to work in any job that Charlotte School of Law (garbage) could get you. Not sure what the motivation is.

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:32 am

Bedsole wrote:Wife works with a woman who attends Charlotte School of Law (garbage) part time while she works in the type of job you shouldn't leave to work in any job that Charlotte School of Law (garbage) could get you. Not sure what the motivation is.
Probably this absurd show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRtDFiTNLaY

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vicpin5190

Silver

Post by vicpin5190 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:19 am

mewalke1 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:Wife works with a woman who attends Charlotte School of Law (garbage) part time while she works in the type of job you shouldn't leave to work in any job that Charlotte School of Law (garbage) could get you. Not sure what the motivation is.
Probably this absurd show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRtDFiTNLaY
not going to lie, this show accounts for about 0.02% of my overall law school motivation. :mrgreen:

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:51 am

I could see if you were going for virtually nothing since she still gets to maintain her other job, but I would think she has to pay a good amount of money to go, so it's still not a reasonable deal.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Otunga wrote:
I could see if you were going for virtually nothing since she still gets to maintain her other job, but I would think she has to pay a good amount of money to go, so it's still not a reasonable deal.
Some employers will pick up the tab for education. My old company picked up the tuition and books for my masters degree.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:40 pm

God damn those capitalist pigs at Arkansas-Fayetteville. Just rolling in their profits. Hang em all!

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:10 am

Regulus wrote:Here is an interesting article about the sleaziness of these for-profit schools:

The only two that really stand out are Phoenix or summit or infilawtoilet #1 or whatever they are calling it and Charlotte

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:27 am

The ABA can't stop accrediting law schools because it would be an antitrust violation. It would be bad for the profession if lawyers were seen as limiting supply in order to keep afloat prices. The great thing between when I applied and now is that we have much more transparency. Anyone who goes to law school knowing the data we now know can live with the consequences.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”