UCB vs T70 full tuition Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCB sticker vs T70 zero tuition

UCB with 200K in debt
77%
T70 with 0 debt
23%

Total votes: 35

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: UCB vs T70 full tuition

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:27 pm

muskies970 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
muskies970 wrote:After taxes and living expenses a biglaw job of 160k leaves one with ~40-60k to put towards loans. Therefore unless once is getting 20k in scholarship a year offering a more in scholarship and values a year of their life that way it may not be the best option. Stanford is always a risky option no matter what your options and there's always the chance OP might not improve to those numbers.
I have no idea what this post is saying. Its confusing and nonsensical to me. All I got was that "Stanford is risky" and that's an lolno. Unless you're saying the OP might not get in, then sure, of course. But the OP could have way better options than sticker at Cal, all they need to do is score like 8+ points higher.
risky for acceptance as your option for taking a year off. Way better options for getting back to the Cali market such as? and that warrant a year of foregone income?
OP said nothing about wanting to work in California. Don't call it Cali.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:44 pm

if you take your summa cum laude degree from a "top private" school and attend any school outside the T13, you are completely wasting your degree and all of your hard work. Please listen to this, and what others have said. You probably spent hundreds of thousands on your BA. You probably didn't even get to have a good time doing it if you graduated in the top 1-2% of your class. The kids at my top private who were summa fucking lived underground lol. If you aren't even going to use the resources that degree provided you, then what the fuck was it worth? law school is only worth attending for people with your presumed pedigree when it can ENHANCE their opportunities -- that is, T13 schools. Not only will you be over qualifying yourself for the work you could get right now (anything in education sector, consulting, or if you are STEM, research and engineering comes to mind), but you will not be opening up new opportunities to become an attorney. Don't do this.

I knew a guy who took the Oct LSAT senior year of college with me. We both didn't do very well (mid 160's). I said fuck it, stuck with the job I'd lined up in consulting, took a class and studied like hell and retook Oct 2012 for a 172. He took a "T70" offer at loyola straight out of school instead of reapplying; I didn't blame him at the time, NOT going seemed scary, but I took the plunge because I knew after doing research, including TLS, that the alternatives sucked. Even my pre-law adviser told me to still apply since there were lots of "good schools" I could get into w/ that LSAT -- lol, no. The guy who went to loyola couldn't line up a summer SA, so now he'll be begging for scraps as a 3L. I'll be at CLS with francesfarmer with professional WE to boot.

As for Berkeley, that's a good outcome for anyone. It's an amazing school. The conversation turns to debt. Given your inexperience and LSAT score, you have a tremendous amount to gain and very little (its only time) to lose by waiting and retaking. If you were really summa at a "top private" university, you have the critical thinking skills to score 170+. You just need to study harder, make more time for it, and apply those skills in a specific way. Berkeley is the better choice among the two because it will actually open some opportunities you wouldn't otherwise have, but its still a huge risk that you honestly don't have to take.

Don't make the mistake I've seen others make. With your GPA, I'd be HYS bound. Most of us would. Line up a job with that amazing GPA in the meantime, start studying TODAY and register for the October LSAT. Like actually, leave this forum, go to the LSAT prep forum -- no fuck that, just leave the internet and go study -- and don't return until you're choosing b/t Harvard and a Butler scholarship in March 2014 and make a real thread.

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:23 pm

to add on to bagelboy's story. I know someone who I graduated with in undergrad. The person was summa cum laude and scored on the low end of 160. The person got into some good schools, and eventually was accepted to an MVP school but with no scholarship. I remember telling that person how badly I wanted them to retake and the person never did. They were so pleased with their t14 acceptance that they winded up paying sticker price to attend. The person had a 4.0 and blew it all away with a sub-par lsat and will be $200k in debt. It's true, that debt sucks less when it's coming from a t14 school and you can obtain a big law job, but how could you throw away such an awesome gpa. the possibilities are endless with your gpa, so just please please please think about your potential

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:31 pm

Mad credits to the previous 2 posts.

Some more information here would still be useful. Re-stating my questions from earlier as we're on a new page and they've gone unanswered.

1) How did you study for the LSAT? Powerscore, Manhattan, etc.

2) How long did you study for the LSAT?

3) What was your diagnostic?

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:49 pm

lol @ T70

If you got into UCB with a 162, you're selling yourself short by not retaking for HYS or $$$ at CCN.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PotLuck

Bronze

Post by PotLuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Listen OP, we all know that "holy crap I'm not waiting another year feel."

Think of it this way, retaking the LSAT will NET YOU $245k. Thats right, $45k for your year off working and studying for the lsat and then $200k for the scholly you will receive.

I'm from Cali and Berkeley is a MONSTER good school there is no doubt about this. Even at $200k its not the worst decision in the world. But if you have even the slightest chance of going to Stanford or at least Berkeley with a significant scholarship you better go for it. IMO Stanford > Berkeley $$$ > T14s. Assuming op wants cali anyway.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Why so ridiculously coy about naming the "T70," OP?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:25 pm

I want you to close your eyes and envision a fellowship. It isn't prestigious and you don't get to list it on your resume, but it pays $100k annually. Also, your work is part-time, maybe 10 hours a week. Also, you work for three months and you get the other nine to do whatever you want.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the "Sit out the Year and Retake the LSAT" fellowship, where you improve your LSAT by 4-5 points and get a $100k scholarship instead of paying sticker at a given school. With the rest of the time, you can either work or, really, do whatever the hell you want to do, no one's going to blame if you want to take some time off, you just made $100k.

Now how many of you tantrum-throwing "But I wanna go now!" kids are turning that fellowship down?

adad

New

Post by adad » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Last edited by adad on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:I want you to close your eyes and envision a fellowship. It isn't prestigious and you don't get to list it on your resume, but it pays $100k annually. Also, your work is part-time, maybe 10 hours a week. Also, you work for three months and you get the other nine to do whatever you want.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the "Sit out the Year and Retake the LSAT" fellowship, where you improve your LSAT by 4-5 points and get a $100k scholarship instead of paying sticker at a given school. With the rest of the time, you can either work or, really, do whatever the hell you want to do, no one's going to blame if you want to take some time off, you just made $100k.

Now how many of you tantrum-throwing "But I wanna go now!" kids are turning that fellowship down?
180 post. I can never understand why people have to go. I've been out of UG for two years. Loved it. Having the best time of my life. Not going to law school until I know I've maxed out.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:02 pm

adad wrote:I called T70 since I don't want anyone know who I am
I am only 20 year old, probably one of the youngest kids go to UCB
My family is not rich but my dad is willing to share a half the cost for me as he did full cost in my undrgrad
Thank you all, I am packing to UCB...
You really should retake and avoid financially burdening your parents like this. You are passing up an amazing opportunity to get $. And you are too young to go to law school.

But if you're gonna get out of Cal with $100k in loans, more power to you I guess.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:28 pm

My family is not rich but my dad is willing to share a half the cost for me as he did full cost in my undrgrad
LOL

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:32 pm

you'd be an idiot not to choose berkeley, but then again, you're an idiot for not re-taking the LSAT (based on the "I'll lose a year of my life" defense) so who knows what you'll do

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:I want you to close your eyes and envision a fellowship. It isn't prestigious and you don't get to list it on your resume, but it pays $100k annually. Also, your work is part-time, maybe 10 hours a week. Also, you work for three months and you get the other nine to do whatever you want.

You are a gentleman and a scholar dear sir

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:In b4 "Not gunna!"
adad wrote:no, staying home a year costs me a year of my life!
Also:
BigZuck wrote:In b4 21
adad wrote:I am only 20 year old
Guaranteed the kid's dad is legit rich too. I'm getting an ESL vibe from the OP, I am guessing his dad is an immigrant who is either an engineer or maybe he has his own business (restaurant, convenience store, etc) and bought some property and is now pretty well off because of that. I'll try to go three for three:

OP, is your dad an immigrant engineer that works for an aerospace company?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:46 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
LOL
Well shit. I both hate and envy you. Goodluck

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:13 pm

OP LSAT score is 162. If OP retake and get 167 (5 points better than 162). I DO NOT think OP will get $ 100 K from Berkeley.

Berkeley is unpredictable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adad

New

Post by adad » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:20 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Also:
Guaranteed the kid's dad is legit rich too. I'm getting an ESL vibe from the OP, I am guessing his dad is an immigrant who is either an engineer or maybe he has his own business (restaurant, convenience store, etc) and bought some property and is now pretty well off because of that. I'll try to go three for three:

You are a great diviner!!!!

I am a_dad, ESL, new immigrant, engineer, works for an aerospace company ... all as you guested
Sorry all. I am asking in this forum on behalf of my son just to make sure I am not encouraging him to take the worse choice.

Of course, he is not 'ESL' like me and very much smarter than I am. The information I gave is not 100% correct, but close enough so I can learn about your analysis.

So far, it seems I am right though I am going to pay more :)

Thank you all and bye bye!!!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:27 pm

adad wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Also:

I am a_dad, ESL, new immigrant, engineer, works for an aerospace company ... all as you guested
Sorry all. I am asking in this forum on behalf of my son just to make sure I am not encouraging him to take the worse choice.

Of course, he is not 'ESL' like me and very much smarter than I am. The information I gave is not 100% correct, but close enough so I can learn about your analysis.

Quoted for strange thread.

Not sure if I'm a genius or just got trolled hard.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:16 am

BigZuck wrote:
adad wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Also:

Quoted for strange thread.

Not sure if I'm a genius or just got trolled hard.
No Zuck, you just won the internet. Congrats.

As for the old fobby dude posting on a law forum for his son: as sweet and sick as this is, you have to let your son grow wings and leave the fuckin nest or he will fail hard at life. This overprotective micromanaging bullshit I saw with so many of my korean friends and their parents just dooms your kids. Sending your kid to law school at 20 is objectively a terrible idea. You are doing him and his family a disservice by this inane course of action. I seriously hope you gave him some choice in this -- law school is not a decision your shitboomer parents should make for you. Let him live a little and take some time to retake the LSAT and decide his own priorities

Whatever its your money brah, i just feel bad for your son
Last edited by jbagelboy on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:30 am

Sarcasm noted. But you have to admit, the aerospace engineering call makes me a pretty damn good diviner.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:33 am

BigZuck wrote:Sarcasm noted. But you have to admit, the aerospace engineering call makes me a pretty damn good diviner.
No I wasnt really being sarcastic. It was impressive bro

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:50 am

jbagelboy wrote:
As for the old fobby dude posting on a law forum for his son: as sweet and sick as this is, you have to let your son grow wings and leave the fuckin nest or he will fail hard at life. This overprotective micromanaging bullshit I saw with so many of my korean friends and their parents just dooms your kids. Sending your kid to law school at 20 is objectively a terrible idea. You are doing him and his family a disservice by this inane course of action. I seriously hope you gave him some choice in this -- law school is not a decision your shitboomer parents should make for you. Let him live a little and take some time to retake the LSAT and decide his own priorities

Agreed and fixed.

edit

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:07 am

jbagelboy wrote:
It's kind of hard to feel bad for a guy that's getting to go to Boalt for free, but it sucks to be in law school before you can drink legally. I wouldn't trade my years in UG for anything. Unless your family is dirt poor, the whole skipping grades/graduating faster thing is dumb.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:39 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
It's kind of hard to feel bad for a guy that's getting to go to Boalt for free, but it sucks to be in law school before you can drink legally. I wouldn't trade my years in UG for anything. Unless your family is dirt poor, the whole skipping grades/graduating faster thing is dumb.
also we really have no idea if the kid is graduating w/ 200K in debt (per the poll and original OP), $100K in debt (per previous statement), or for free. Not sure OP understands or appreciates the difference between debt and just money owed to attend

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”