UCB vs T70 full tuition Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCB sticker vs T70 zero tuition

UCB with 200K in debt
77%
T70 with 0 debt
23%

Total votes: 35

adad

New

Re: UCB vs T70 full tuition

Post by adad » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:52 am

yes i am a korean dude but what is wrong with it
i am not sending any korean kids to ls...
what is wrong with a kid who has passion to become a lawyer and working his axx off towards his goal
i have seen 19 yo MD, 14 yo scientist, 22 yo lawyer ...
the idea is my kids can become whatever they want and nothing is wrong watching them. i never ask them to become anything.
he will be over 200K debt, not to ucb (but some similar school) though... but if it is worth it, then take it.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:03 am

adad wrote: what is wrong with a kid who has passion to become a lawyer and working his axx off towards his goal
i have seen 19 yo MD, 14 yo scientist, 22 yo lawyer ...
In the first two instances, you're talking about child prodigies, so those examples are completely inapplicable. (And it's still a sad fate. Child prodigies get a big head-start, but they don't retain a perpetual advantage. Others catch up later on in ability, and yet have been able to develop social intelligence and the resultant social bonds that make life worth living, while child prodigies are very often irreparably socially-stunted by adulthood. And child prodigies ultimately do not achieve adult success at higher rates than other educated people. But I digress.)

While I was no child prodigy, I could have graduated college at 19 based on the credits when I entered, so I suppose I could have been a 22-year-old lawyer as well. But there's a hell of a lot more to life than rushing through schooling to start your career at the earliest possible date. The people I know that have done this are some of the unhappiest people I know. If I had followed that route, I would never have been able to live in two foreign countries for extended periods or go on long trips to more than three dozen countries on five continents. I would never have been able to work some very interesting jobs that helped me mature and further open my mind to the world before beginning my "permanent" career -- jobs that actually helped me form very concrete reasons for choosing law school. I wouldn't have had time to learn a fourth language. And I would have had less time to simply have fun of the less high-minded kind (friends, women, etc.), which would likely have led to regrets down the road. Maybe my parents didn't get to brag about their 22-year-old lawyer son to their colleagues, but they also didn't even remotely care about that sort of thing. And while I'm sure my path during my several years out of college would look "directionless" to a parent who is hyper-focused on whipping his or her child through that part of life and into a professional career like some kind of quarter horse, I ended up at Yale, so I couldn't have chosen too poorly.

Aside from the fact that this sprinter's approach reflects a very blinkered and impoverished conception of what matters in life, there are actual professional downsides as well. Law school students who entered directly from college are at a disadvantage, because the maturity that comes with having worked at least a couple of years out of college is something that legal employers favor. It's hard for anyone to take a 23-year-old seriously as a professional when he had not previously worked a day in his life.

adad

New

Post by adad » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:48 am

Ti Malice:
How about a 23 yo who has not held any full time position but worked as paralegal every summer, and through school years ...
Compare to an older who out of college and has held a few full time positions at some retailters and McDonald's

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:16 am

adad wrote:Ti Malice:
How about a 23 yo who has not held any full time position but worked as paralegal every summer, and through school years ...
Compare to an older who out of college and has held a few full time positions at some retailters and McDonald's
This is a false dilemma as you've constructed it.

I'll first note that summer work experience and internships in undergrad don't count for anything close to full-time, long-term work experience. When Northwestern, for instance, says they prefer applicants who have work experience, they're talking about people who have worked full-time in after undergrad for at least one year, and preferably two or more. Similarly, legal employers strongly favor full-time, long-term work experience over someone who has only done summer work during school. There is always a strong presumption that a summer job does not come with much substantive responsibility.

Now back to your comparison. Someone who has done well at a good college or university should have more than full-time retail and McDonald's as employment options. If that someone worked summers as a paralegal during undergrad, then he or she should at the very least be able to find a full-time position as a paralegal after graduation. Yes, it would certainly be better to go straight to law school than to apply after years of doing nothing whatsoever but working as a fry cook, but this is a pointless comparison, because someone in the former position will not be limited to the choice of the latter.

As to the bigger picture, your response shows that, sadly, you remain fixated on instrumental considerations instead of being open to a more expansive view of successful development that includes notions of what makes a life well-lived. I imagine that the entire second paragraph of my last post fell on deaf ears.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:27 am

adad wrote:Ti Malice:
Lol that is not the comparison Ti Malice was making. Your emphasis on licensed careers requiring expensive professional schools is incredibly misleading. And your prestige bias, condescension and clear inferiority complex are pretty amusing

Agreed with everything malice said even if I took a slightly more "direct" route working at a V20 firm after graduating. I got to study and work abroad though, and took a full 4 incredibly fun and fulfilling years of college. Ill be starting at 24 and i still feel young. Your son can be passionate about law and still not be a naive idiot with an overbearing parent

Lastly you still seem disturbingly unaware and confused about what debt means. First tou said 200k, then 100k, then none, now back to 200k. Tragic

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:28 am

Why did the OP edit out all the other posts if he was just presenting us a hypo or changing the names of schools to begin with?

This thread is weird and I don't like it. If this is a real person and not a troll I find that sad and a little scary.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:33 am

BigZuck wrote:Why did the OP edit out all the other posts if he was just presenting us a hypo or changing the names of schools to begin with?

This thread is weird and I don't like it. If this is a real person and not a troll I find that sad and a little scary.
Yea apparently ucb wasnt even the school in question lmao

What a retarded idea

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:04 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Why did the OP edit out all the other posts if he was just presenting us a hypo or changing the names of schools to begin with?

What a retarded idea
I don't know why, jbagelboy, but I imagine you are like the first guy in this video.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

What a retarded idea
I don't know why, jbagelboy, but I imagine you are like the first guy in this video.
Haha, I used to wear glasses sometimes but now almost always contacts. Maybe if i got glasses back, went back in time and reversed years of jv tennis and swimming, and dressed worse, you'd be getting closer. Also im over 6'2 and this guy looks pretty short

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:34 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

What a retarded idea
Haha, I used to wear glasses sometimes but now almost always contacts. Maybe if i got glasses back, went back in time and reversed years of jv tennis and swimming, and dressed worse, you'd be getting closer. Also im over 6'2 and this guy looks pretty short
you were just JV :lol:

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:25 am

Looking forward to more BigZuck predictions

Also,
ManoftheHour wrote:
Dre, that's an awesome video.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”