UC Berkeley vs. UT (in-state)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UT vs UCB

UC Berkeley
48%
University of Texas
52%

Total votes: 21

syr1990

UC Berkeley vs. UT (in-state)

Postby syr1990 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Just got in off the wait list at UC Berkeley and was admitted into UT Law a few months ago. The one factor that even makes this debatable to me is that UT Law is about 20k/yr cheaper than UC Berkeley due to my in-state status at UT (and cost of living in general is higher in Berkeley). I went to UT for undergrad and I've actually lived in Austin my whole life, so I'd definitely like a change. Not exactly sure what kind of law I want to go into, but some fields that come to mind are Criminal Law, some sort of International Law (I know this is hard to get into), possibly Energy Law (a plus for UT?). I'm not 100% decided on where I want to practice either, but staying in Texas would be fine with me (and California wouldn't be bad either). If I choose Berkeley, should I be worried about getting a job in Texas if I wanted to go back?

Thanks for everyone's input in advance!
Last edited by syr1990 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Re: UC Berkeley vs. UT (in-state)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Congrats on Boalt! That's great news!

What is your total COA for each?

I actually think for Energy law, if you are referring to energy tech patents or tech-related IP litigation, or anything with alternative energy, Berkeley is stronger with the valley network and the industries in the bay. If you mean big oil, then UT might have the advantage idk.

TX_UH

Postby TX_UH » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Firstly, congratulations on your acceptances and scholarship offer.

Then, regarding:
syr1990 wrote:If I choose Berkeley, should I be worried about getting a job in Texas if I wanted to go back?

Thanks for everyone's input in advance!

See:
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/15134.htm

As for any other advice, I think you may need to include more factors that you consider to have weight on your decision before you can get very detailed replies.

syr1990

Postby syr1990 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:04 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Congrats on Boalt! That's great news!

I actually think for Energy law, if you are referring to energy tech patents or tech-related IP litigation, or anything with alternative energy, Berkeley is stronger with the valley network and the industries in the bay. If you mean big oil, then UT might have the advantage idk.

Possibly oil, but I was recently told that Alt. energy type of law was getting strong at UT, however I'm not sure how strong it is at Boalt.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Literally every single Texan I know at Berkeley had multiple offers to go back to Texas. If I were you I would be more worried about figuring out why you're going to law school and at least a rough idea of what you want to do. You have less time to figure that out in law school than you might think.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:05 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location

My guess is that this is mainly self-selection. I would talk to some Berkeley students and see if TX firms are very accessible or if any students that wanted TX Biglaw had many problems getting it.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 pm

syr1990 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Congrats on Boalt! That's great news!

Possibly oil, but I was recently told that Alt. energy type of law was getting strong at UT, however I'm not sure how strong it is at Boalt.

It's too bad you won't have the chance to visit Boalt while its in session. The momentum and passion in the tech and energy industry is really something to see. Granted, I didn't apply to/visit UT, so I suppose I'm rather one sided, but Cal was definitely a very impressive environment. The journals, like the Law & Tech journal and the Environmental law journals, are ranked among the highest for scholarly impact; the contacts they have with all kinds of firms from start ups to major conglomerates are highly visible. I won't sell it any more, just something to consider.

COA will matter more than specialization, though. Use GULC's calculator if you need help with the numbers.

syr1990

Postby syr1990 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 pm

jbagelboy wrote:What is your total COA for each?

Looks like Boalt would be around 220k and UT would be about 135k

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Berkeley is not worth sticker, imo. Berkeley does do need-based financial aid, iirc. You know if you will be getting any more at all?

UT at in-state isn't the best deal either, though. Have you tried to negotiate with UT for any scholarship money?

syr1990

Postby syr1990 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Berkeley is not worth sticker, imo. Berkeley does do need-based financial aid, iirc. You know if you will be getting any more at all?

UT at in-state isn't the best deal either, though. Have you tried to negotiate with UT for any scholarship money?

I'm not sure about the need-based aid, but I think I would probably get some, because UT gave me about 4-5k of need-based aid. I've tried to get merit based money from UT, but they wouldn't budge, because my LSAT score is I think 1 or 2 points below their cut-off score

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Maybe asking UT again now that u have a Berkley acceptance would get them to give you some money.
Isnt the deadline for UT tonight? Then maybe that's not an option, nevermind. I don't think either are worth paying sticker. I'd probably lean UT though.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:31 pm

syr1990 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Berkeley is not worth sticker, imo. Berkeley does do need-based financial aid, iirc. You know if you will be getting any more at all?

I'm not sure about the need-based aid, but I think I would probably get some, because UT gave me about 4-5k of need-based aid. I've tried to get merit based money from UT, but they wouldn't budge, because my LSAT score is I think 1 or 2 points below their cut-off score

Have you considered waiting to retake and just waiting out this year? That might be the most reasonable option. But if you don't want to / can't do that, I would say Texas should win this pretty easily, given your circumstances--Berkeley isn't worth ~85K more if you want to do energy law or be a prosecutor/PD, and you are fine with living in Texas. For DA/PD, you really want to limit your debt as much as possible (though, Berkeley's LRAP isn't a bad option if you are very sure you want to do PI--but you really need to be sure about this). (International law really isn't worth addressing--if you mean international human rights stuff, you really need a background in this before law school to have this be a main priority going into law school; if you mean international business law, then just do biglaw and prepare to be disappointed about the general lack of cool international opportunities for low level associates.)

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
syr1990 wrote:

Have you considered waiting to retake and just waiting out this year? That might be the most reasonable option. But if you don't want to / can't do that, I would say Texas should win this pretty easily, given your circumstances--Berkeley isn't worth ~85K more if you want to do energy law or be a prosecutor/PD, and you are fine with living in Texas. For DA/PD, you really want to limit your debt as much as possible (though, Berkeley's LRAP isn't a bad option if you are very sure you want to do PI--but you really need to be sure about this). (International law really isn't worth addressing--if you mean international human rights stuff, you really need a background in this before law school to have this be a main priority going into law school; if you mean international business law, then just do biglaw and prepare to be disappointed about the general lack of cool international opportunities for low level associates.)

If I am reading it correctly UTs LRAP is pretty terrible (a shame because as a true state flagship you would think they would want to produce good quality DAs and the like) so if the OP takes out 100K+ it might really, really suck to pay that off. Not sure how much PAYE changes the calculus for all that though.

Kind of a tough one OP. I don't think either are really worth it at those prices, retake seems like the best option if you have any takes left. Gun to my head? I guess maybe Berkeley and go big law or LRAP or bust?

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:05 pm

I think this is a tough call. UT limits you to Texas MUCH more than Berkeley does to CA. But $100k is $100k. I don't think you can go wrong, but I would *probably* choose Berkeley.

Have you sent your LOI into UT yet? I ask because a few hours after I faxed mine, I received a scholly increase (and also because #humblebrag). :P

syr1990

Postby syr1990 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Have you considered waiting to retake and just waiting out this year?

Unfortunately, this isn't an option for me

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:19 pm

make a poll!

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:24 pm

syr1990 wrote:
Have you considered waiting to retake and just waiting out this year?

Unfortunately, this isn't an option for me

Why not?

syr1990

Postby syr1990 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:make a poll!

Done!

syr1990

Postby syr1990 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:17 pm

How important do you all think the connections that would be made at UT are for potentially practicing in Texas?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:28 pm

syr1990 wrote:How important do you all think the connections that would be made at UT are for potentially practicing in Texas?

For biglaw? Not as important, since you seem to already have Texas ties--Houston isn't that insular to begin with and that's where you want to go for energy law. (Dallas (unless you already have Dallas-specific ties) and Austin (just b/c they hire mostly UT people) will be more difficult though.)

For DA/PD? I would think that UT will be significantly more helpful for wanting to stay in Texas as a DA or PD (I think it would make it easier for finding DA/PD summer internships in Texas and I think doing internships during the year in Austin would be helpful in making connections to people who will know people in other TX offices). I don't really know DA/PD as much though, so this info could be off.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:54 pm

Definitely don't pick YouSee Berkeley over the University of Texas.

The former is a liberal cesspool, the latter is an excellent law school in an excellent state.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Dr. Dre is the truth

Return to “Choosing a Law School”