Emory or retake Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
doyouevenlift

New

Re: Emory or retake

Post by doyouevenlift » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:38 pm

thanks guys

doyouevenlift

New

Post by doyouevenlift » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:50 pm

UPDATE: alright, I got in off the waitlist for GW. Parents insist they will cover COL for even DC. How much scholarship money from GW warrants choosing them over Emory?

again, I am not biglaw or bust but if I did well enough I would want New York>>>DC/Atlanta>>everywhere else. However I have ties to the south (Heavy NC and GA) and would not mind at all working Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. big or non-biglaw. You know what, unless someone has a real strong argument for GW at a certain price level comparison to Emory, I think I just made my choice. THOUGHTS?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:58 pm

If its going to put you in 100k or more total debt, don't even consider it

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:02 pm

doyouevenlift wrote:UPDATE: alright, I got in off the waitlist for GW. Parents insist they will cover COL for even DC. How much scholarship money from GW warrants choosing them over Emory?

again, I am not biglaw or bust but if I did well enough I would want New York>>>DC/Atlanta>>everywhere else. However I have ties to the south (Heavy NC and GA) and would not mind at all working Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. big or non-biglaw. You know what, unless someone has a real strong argument for GW at a certain price level comparison to Emory, I think I just made my choice. THOUGHTS?
80k for Emory is a fine deal. I can't see GW offering a better one. Unless they do, enjoy Georgia.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:08 pm

Meh. GWU is a little better fit for your goals, but not much more. In a way, Emory is safer since you have ties. If GWU can offer under 100K total CoA (not counting CoL) and you prefer the GW vibe/DC life, go for it. If its over 100K, dont do it, head to Emory. the schools have different cultures so if the $$ is a wash, think about where you'd rather live for 3 yrs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:11 am

jselson wrote:For your goals and your gpa, Emory at that price sounds pretty good. Have fun, man.
jbagelboy wrote:Meh. GWU is a little better fit for your goals, but not much more. In a way, Emory is safer since you have ties.
+1

I wouldn't incur over 100k debt for GW given your current Emory offer and southern ties. Also, getting to NYC or the northeast with an Emory J.D. isn't impossible. It'll be hard and you'll have to have great grades, but it's possible. GW gives you a better chance at DC/NYC, but not better enough to warrant that kind of debt or COL (I know your parents are covering COL, but why spend so much more of their money?)

doyouevenlift

New

Post by doyouevenlift » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:38 am

cusenation wrote:
jselson wrote:For your goals and your gpa, Emory at that price sounds pretty good. Have fun, man.
jbagelboy wrote:Meh. GWU is a little better fit for your goals, but not much more. In a way, Emory is safer since you have ties.
+1

I wouldn't incur over 100k debt for GW given your current Emory offer and southern ties. Also, getting to NYC or the northeast with an Emory J.D. isn't impossible. It'll be hard and you'll have to have great grades, but it's possible. GW gives you a better chance at DC/NYC, but not better enough to warrant that kind of debt or COL (I know your parents are covering COL, but why spend so much more of their money?)
yall are right. 100k is gonna be the number. thanks again for all the help

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”