BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BC vs. ND

Boston College ($25K/year)
12
44%
Notre Dame ($25K/year)
15
56%
 
Total votes: 27

ls23
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 pm

BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby ls23 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:31 pm

I have deposited at BC but just got accepted from Notre Dame's waitlist and only have a few days to get back to them with a decision. Both schools are giving me a scholarship of 25K/year, which makes the COA for Notre Dame $42,480/year and COA for BC $39,591.

I am from Chicago, but I am completely open with working in either Boston, NYC, Chicago, or DC. Looking to get into either medium or big law. I understand that these two school's are essentially peers but was hoping for some guidance because I am completely torn between the two schools.

I know retake is the general mantra for non t-14, but it's an option I am not considering. Any opinions on which one is better for my career goals, information about their markets, information about the school not easily found or personal experiences would be more than welcome. Thanks in advance for any help with decision, I really appreciate it!

empyreanrrv
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby empyreanrrv » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Hey, how are you getting such a low COA for those schools? Do you have significant savings you are using to pay for them?

40k CoA is good for either of those schools. Definitely don't count on big law, but they really are peers. I'd say just go to whichever you like better.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:44 pm

empyreanrrv wrote:Hey, how are you getting such a low COA for those schools? Do you have significant savings you are using to pay for them?

40k CoA is good for either of those schools. Definitely don't count on big law, but they really are peers. I'd say just go to whichever you like better.


It's per year...

ls23
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby ls23 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Sorry, I should have specified, the COA is after the $25k/year scholarship is taken into account and it is per year.
Last edited by ls23 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

empyreanrrv
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby empyreanrrv » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:46 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
empyreanrrv wrote:Hey, how are you getting such a low COA for those schools? Do you have significant savings you are using to pay for them?

40k CoA is good for either of those schools. Definitely don't count on big law, but they really are peers. I'd say just go to whichever you like better.


It's per year...


Good call-- definitely on the expensive side for these schools then. Probably not worth it.

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:34 pm

Neither school is worth that.

Retake

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby Informative » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:57 pm

These schools are pretty fungible. BC has slightly better biglaw placement stats in the NLJ250, although it does much better with Vault firms but this is largely due to it being on the east coast. Ultimately, you're decision should come down to whether you want to work in the midwest or the northeast. Both are good options.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... ctive=true

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Informative wrote:These schools are pretty fungible. BC has slightly better biglaw placement stats in the NLJ250, although it does much better with Vault firms but this is largely due to it being on the east coast. Ultimately, you're decision should come down to whether you want to work in the midwest or the northeast. Both are good options.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... ctive=true


That wasn't particularly informative. It was more misleading than anything.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby twenty » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:08 pm

but it's an option I am not considering.


I have cancer in my lower leg and I'm trying to decide if I should cut it off below the knee or above the knee. While I know the medical community's mantra that surgically removing the cancerous area without amputating is TCR, I really just want to get rid of my problems now, so it's an option I'm not considering.


edit> christ, you have a 164. 3-4 more points will get you into Cornell. 5-6 points will get you into Duke. You have NO BUSINESS going this year.

edit 2> Also, why isn't UTexas and Fordham on the table here? Either one of those is better than ND/BC (though both bad ideas at sticker -- just less so)

balzie94
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby balzie94 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:21 pm

.
Last edited by balzie94 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:00 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
but it's an option I am not considering.


I have cancer in my lower leg and I'm trying to decide if I should cut it off below the knee or above the knee. While I know the medical community's mantra that surgically removing the cancerous area without amputating is TCR, I really just want to get rid of my problems now, so it's an option I'm not considering.


edit> christ, you have a 164. 3-4 more points will get you into Cornell. 5-6 points will get you into Duke. You have NO BUSINESS going this year.

edit 2> Also, why isn't UTexas and Fordham on the table here? Either one of those is better than ND/BC (though both bad ideas at sticker -- just less so)


Your analogy made me laugh.

I dont agree Fordham is better than BC unless you are a new yorker with ties and professional WE. Its much more a sink or swim environment

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby twenty » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:05 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Your analogy made me laugh.

I dont agree Fordham is better than BC unless you are a new yorker with ties and professional WE. Its much more a sink or swim environment


:D

I think the Fordham/BC split is probably the closest one, though I'd still contend Fordham is the better choice. NYC firms, even low firms, don't care much about ties, whereas Boston firms will.

Don't get me wrong -- none of these choices are especially great, and any advantage one school has other another is marginal at best.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:58 pm

ls23 wrote:Sorry, I should have specified, the COA is after the $25k/year scholarship is taken into account and it is per year.


Retake, OP. No non-T14 school is worth that price.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Informative wrote:Both are good options.

Revised.

balzie94 wrote:Retake or don't go. I just graduated from ND. Not worth $120k debt. BC is not significantly better.

OP, listen to this poster. Not retaking is idiocy.

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby jselson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:37 am

OP, are you Catholic?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:13 am

BigZuck wrote:
Informative wrote:These schools are pretty fungible. BC has slightly better biglaw placement stats in the NLJ250, although it does much better with Vault firms but this is largely due to it being on the east coast. Ultimately, you're decision should come down to whether you want to work in the midwest or the northeast. Both are good options.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... ctive=true


That wasn't particularly informative.


Pun intended?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby sublime » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:20 am

..

User avatar
Grazzhoppa
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:00 am

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby Grazzhoppa » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:28 am

sublime wrote:How did you get into UT with your numbers? Are you a URM?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:31 am

balzie94 wrote:Retake or don't go. I just graduated from ND. Not worth $120k debt. BC is not significantly better.

And something tells me those are pre-interest figures. With capitalizing interest and tuition hikes, ND will probably cost closer to $150K. Maybe $140K at BC.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby sublime » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:33 am

..

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby hephaestus » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:44 am

If you won't consider retaking, you shouldn't go to law school.

ls23
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby ls23 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:05 pm

I am not a TX resident, I am from Chicago. UT wasn't an option for me because out of state sticker was too much debt to take on. I am not Catholic. I am not a URM. Lastly, I have already retaken the lsat and raised it from 161 to a 164, I did try to prep and retake this year, but I am getting around the same at 164-165 range, so losing a year doesn't make sense to me because I have already been out 2 years. Basically, I just wanted to get different opinions for BC vs. ND on this thread. Thanks for the responses.

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 pm

ImNoScar wrote:If you won't consider retaking, you shouldn't go to law school.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:32 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:If you won't consider retaking, you shouldn't go to law school.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: BC($$) vs. Notre Dame($$) -Time Crunch!

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:09 am

Ill assume retaking and reapplying are pending and consider your other choice.

Negotiate w BC. The new offer on the table from a higher ranked school should draw traction. If you want to work in the midwest ultimately, go to ND. If you'd rather work in New England, go to BC, hopefully with a 30K+ scholarshp. Understand the debt you will be servicing and that neither of these schools have decent LRAP.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest