Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell $$ vs. Duke

Cornell- 72K
60
78%
Duke- COA 168K
17
22%
 
Total votes: 77

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:55 am

willwilliams1334 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:how is cornell's placement compared to duke's?


sinfiery is spot on. Duke's clerkships numbers are generally a bit better, but otherwise it's about the same. This is for the class of 2012:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=duke


cornell seems to place way above its rank for biglaw


There's no such thing as "placing above its rank", since the rankings aren't really based on placement. Totally arbitrary - the rank is based more prominently on LSAT/GPA. However, I agree it's interesting that Cornell has the numbers it has. They could push for a 170 LSAT median and given the Ivy name and strong NYC placement, they'd probably get it and jump into T10.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:57 am

moonman157 wrote:Seriously, how is this a question?


Beats the hell out of me. Earlier on today, the voting was 29-3 for Cornell. Either a gang of Duke homers has stumbled onto this thread, or our resident idiot troll is busy creating alts to pump up Duke's vote. I refuse to believe that more than 20% of the voters on this thread are this stupid.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:08 am

Picking Duke over Cornell would be a phenomenally bad decision.

User avatar
willwilliams1334
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby willwilliams1334 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 am

jbagelboy wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:how is cornell's placement compared to duke's?


sinfiery is spot on. Duke's clerkships numbers are generally a bit better, but otherwise it's about the same. This is for the class of 2012:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=duke


cornell seems to place way above its rank for biglaw


There's no such thing as "placing above its rank", since the rankings aren't really based on placement. Totally arbitrary - the rank is based more prominently on LSAT/GPA. However, I agree it's interesting that Cornell has the numbers it has. They could push for a 170 LSAT median and given the Ivy name and strong NYC placement, they'd probably get it and jump into T10.


yeah well cornell is def one of those schools i would consider a bargain for those whos lsat/gpa isnt up to HYSNCC lvls. Taking a big scholly there could be a really nice way to make some serious $$

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:42 am

jbagelboy wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:how is cornell's placement compared to duke's?


sinfiery is spot on. Duke's clerkships numbers are generally a bit better, but otherwise it's about the same. This is for the class of 2012:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=duke


cornell seems to place way above its rank for biglaw


There's no such thing as "placing above its rank", since the rankings aren't really based on placement. Totally arbitrary - the rank is based more prominently on LSAT/GPA. However, I agree it's interesting that Cornell has the numbers it has. They could push for a 170 LSAT median and given the Ivy name and strong NYC placement, they'd probably get it and jump into T10.


Exactly. Rankings in the non-T6 T13 (Georgetown is inarguably 14th) are pretty meaningless. In addition to LSAT/GPA, the USNWR rankings are also heavily influenced by the schools' academic reputations among academics, lawyers, and judges. I'm not saying academic reputation is an unimportant or irrelevant consideration, but these ratings, as compiled, are lagging indicators when it comes to placement power.

Michigan, for instance, was widely considered a top-five law school until the 1990s. Many of the deans, lawyers, and judges doing the voting date from an era when Michigan's placement power was significantly greater than it is today, both in absolute and relative terms. Accordingly, Michigan has been tied for sixth at worst in the academic reputation ranking in recent years. Michigan's reputation score has been consistently higher than Penn's, even though Penn today annihilates Michigan in placement ability. Though Michigan has ranged from 7th-10th in the overall ranking in the last three years, it's arguably the weakest of the T13 in placement power. It would be entirely rational for someone to pick Duke, NU, or Cornell over Michigan at equal cost.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:51 am

Duke may place slightly more grads in DC and open up the small NC market. But there's no way that's enough to justify a 100K difference. Neither of those markets are a guarantee from Duke, so you may very well end up wasting 100K.

willwilliams1334 wrote:Taking a big scholly there could be a really nice way to make some serious $$

I hope so.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:05 am

Lavitz wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:Taking a big scholly there could be a really nice way to make some serious $$

I hope so.


Yeah, you're making the smart call. I'm consistently amazed by percentage of people who will turn down $150K at Cornell for far smaller scholarships at schools with equal or lesser placement ability.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby DaRascal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:36 am

ImNoScar wrote:Picking Duke over Cornell would be a phenomenally bad decision.



Dude, Duke is an awesome school. You sound like one of those nitpicky judges on some cooking show like Chopped or Top Chef who is overly critical of an amazing dish but is secretely ENJOYING it but you need to be the Simon Cowell of the show even though your taste buds are loving that dish!!!!

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:40 am

Kill yourself.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:42 am

DaRascal wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Picking Duke over Cornell would be a phenomenally bad decision.



Dude, Duke is an awesome school. You sound like one of those nitpicky judges on some cooking show like Chopped or Top Chef who is overly critical of an amazing dish but is secretely ENJOYING it but you need to be the Simon Cowell of the show even though your taste buds are loving that dish!!!!


You fail to understand the concept of relative value as opposed to absolute value. You also evidently fail to understand the concept of debt. Let me give you an example of the former: You are a remarkably, unbelievably strong typist and grammatician, when compared in relation to your powers at deduction and basic human reason. A typing prodigee, one might say. In an absolute sense, however, you are probably only a mediocre speller and a lousy typist at best.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby DaRascal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:49 am

THAT was deep. Nothing like some early morning Miller Lite and TLS philosophy. 8)

jsmith201
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby jsmith201 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 am

I appreciate all the input! Would your answers change if the difference in COA was 72K Cornell versus 90K Duke? I agree that it would be crazy to choose Duke at sticker, but if they do come through with SOME money I am leaning towards going if it means I have even a small chance at getting NC.

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:47 am

jsmith201 wrote:I appreciate all the input! Would your answers change if the difference in COA was 72K Cornell versus 90K Duke? I agree that it would be crazy to choose Duke at sticker, but if they do come through with SOME money I am leaning towards going if it means I have even a small chance at getting NC.


You're expecting them to go from 0 to 78K scholarship?

I think if Duke was only 18K more that's close enough to choose it if you really prefer it. And any T14 for under 100K is a great choice, IMO.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 am

jsmith201 wrote:I appreciate all the input! Would your answers change if the difference in COA was 72K Cornell versus 90K Duke? I agree that it would be crazy to choose Duke at sticker, but if they do come through with SOME money I am leaning towards going if it means I have even a small chance at getting NC.


That would be a gigantic jump in merit aid, but suppose it did happen. Cornell and Duke's placement are similar enough, and the COA difference would be low enough, that you could definitely pick Duke if you truly like it better.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acr, Google [Bot], packerboy31489, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests