Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell $$ vs. Duke

Cornell- 72K
78%
Duke- COA 168K
22%

Total votes: 77

jbagelboy

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:55 am

willwilliams1334 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:how is cornell's placement compared to duke's?

sinfiery is spot on. Duke's clerkships numbers are generally a bit better, but otherwise it's about the same. This is for the class of 2012:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=duke

cornell seems to place way above its rank for biglaw

There's no such thing as "placing above its rank", since the rankings aren't really based on placement. Totally arbitrary - the rank is based more prominently on LSAT/GPA. However, I agree it's interesting that Cornell has the numbers it has. They could push for a 170 LSAT median and given the Ivy name and strong NYC placement, they'd probably get it and jump into T10.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:57 am

moonman157 wrote:Seriously, how is this a question?

Beats the hell out of me. Earlier on today, the voting was 29-3 for Cornell. Either a gang of Duke homers has stumbled onto this thread, or our resident idiot troll is busy creating alts to pump up Duke's vote. I refuse to believe that more than 20% of the voters on this thread are this stupid.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:08 am

Picking Duke over Cornell would be a phenomenally bad decision.

willwilliams1334

Postby willwilliams1334 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 am

jbagelboy wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

sinfiery is spot on. Duke's clerkships numbers are generally a bit better, but otherwise it's about the same. This is for the class of 2012:

There's no such thing as "placing above its rank", since the rankings aren't really based on placement. Totally arbitrary - the rank is based more prominently on LSAT/GPA. However, I agree it's interesting that Cornell has the numbers it has. They could push for a 170 LSAT median and given the Ivy name and strong NYC placement, they'd probably get it and jump into T10.

yeah well cornell is def one of those schools i would consider a bargain for those whos lsat/gpa isnt up to HYSNCC lvls. Taking a big scholly there could be a really nice way to make some serious $$

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:42 am

jbagelboy wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

Exactly. Rankings in the non-T6 T13 (Georgetown is inarguably 14th) are pretty meaningless. In addition to LSAT/GPA, the USNWR rankings are also heavily influenced by the schools' academic reputations among academics, lawyers, and judges. I'm not saying academic reputation is an unimportant or irrelevant consideration, but these ratings, as compiled, are lagging indicators when it comes to placement power.

Michigan, for instance, was widely considered a top-five law school until the 1990s. Many of the deans, lawyers, and judges doing the voting date from an era when Michigan's placement power was significantly greater than it is today, both in absolute and relative terms. Accordingly, Michigan has been tied for sixth at worst in the academic reputation ranking in recent years. Michigan's reputation score has been consistently higher than Penn's, even though Penn today annihilates Michigan in placement ability. Though Michigan has ranged from 7th-10th in the overall ranking in the last three years, it's arguably the weakest of the T13 in placement power. It would be entirely rational for someone to pick Duke, NU, or Cornell over Michigan at equal cost.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:51 am

Duke may place slightly more grads in DC and open up the small NC market. But there's no way that's enough to justify a 100K difference. Neither of those markets are a guarantee from Duke, so you may very well end up wasting 100K.

willwilliams1334 wrote:Taking a big scholly there could be a really nice way to make some serious $$

I hope so.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:05 am

Lavitz wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:Taking a big scholly there could be a really nice way to make some serious $$

I hope so.

Yeah, you're making the smart call. I'm consistently amazed by percentage of people who will turn down $150K at Cornell for far smaller scholarships at schools with equal or lesser placement ability.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:36 am

ImNoScar wrote:Picking Duke over Cornell would be a phenomenally bad decision.

Dude, Duke is an awesome school. You sound like one of those nitpicky judges on some cooking show like Chopped or Top Chef who is overly critical of an amazing dish but is secretely ENJOYING it but you need to be the Simon Cowell of the show even though your taste buds are loving that dish!!!!

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:40 am

Kill yourself.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:42 am

DaRascal wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Picking Duke over Cornell would be a phenomenally bad decision.

Dude, Duke is an awesome school. You sound like one of those nitpicky judges on some cooking show like Chopped or Top Chef who is overly critical of an amazing dish but is secretely ENJOYING it but you need to be the Simon Cowell of the show even though your taste buds are loving that dish!!!!

You fail to understand the concept of relative value as opposed to absolute value. You also evidently fail to understand the concept of debt. Let me give you an example of the former: You are a remarkably, unbelievably strong typist and grammatician, when compared in relation to your powers at deduction and basic human reason. A typing prodigee, one might say. In an absolute sense, however, you are probably only a mediocre speller and a lousy typist at best.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:49 am

THAT was deep. Nothing like some early morning Miller Lite and TLS philosophy. 8)

jsmith201

Postby jsmith201 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 am

I appreciate all the input! Would your answers change if the difference in COA was 72K Cornell versus 90K Duke? I agree that it would be crazy to choose Duke at sticker, but if they do come through with SOME money I am leaning towards going if it means I have even a small chance at getting NC.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:47 am

jsmith201 wrote:I appreciate all the input! Would your answers change if the difference in COA was 72K Cornell versus 90K Duke? I agree that it would be crazy to choose Duke at sticker, but if they do come through with SOME money I am leaning towards going if it means I have even a small chance at getting NC.

You're expecting them to go from 0 to 78K scholarship?

I think if Duke was only 18K more that's close enough to choose it if you really prefer it. And any T14 for under 100K is a great choice, IMO.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 am

jsmith201 wrote:I appreciate all the input! Would your answers change if the difference in COA was 72K Cornell versus 90K Duke? I agree that it would be crazy to choose Duke at sticker, but if they do come through with SOME money I am leaning towards going if it means I have even a small chance at getting NC.

That would be a gigantic jump in merit aid, but suppose it did happen. Cornell and Duke's placement are similar enough, and the COA difference would be low enough, that you could definitely pick Duke if you truly like it better.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”