Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell $$ vs. Duke

Cornell- 72K
60
78%
Duke- COA 168K
17
22%
 
Total votes: 77

jsmith201
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby jsmith201 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Here's the story: I've recently been admitted to Duke off the WL. From what I've read on TLS there is no merit money and very little need. I outperformed my numbers for both schools (I'd rather not list them). Although I haven't heard from Duke, I was hoping to get at least some need-based aid. Cornell offered me 35K/year.

Ideally my SO would cover our COL, but we anticipate needing a little extra in loans to supplement his income.

I've already paid both deposits at Cornell and a deposit on an apartment ($900 and $1150 respectively).

Career Goals- I want to work BigLaw if possible but I am NOT set on NYC. I was planning on trying for NYC, DC and NC.

Thoughts? Is Duke worth more than double what I'd pay at Cornell? I am from upstate NY so the weather does not matter to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Lincoln » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:21 pm

jsmith201 wrote:Here's the story: I've recently been admitted to Duke off the WL. From what I've read on TLS there is no merit money and very little need. I outperformed my numbers for both schools (I'd rather not list them). Although I haven't heard from Duke, I was hoping to get at least some need-based aid. Cornell offered me 35K/year.

Ideally my SO would cover our COL, but we anticipate needing a little extra in loans to supplement his income.

I've already paid both deposits at Cornell and a deposit on an apartment ($900 and $1150 respectively).

Career Goals- I want to work BigLaw if possible but I am NOT set on NYC. I was planning on trying for NYC, DC and NC.

Thoughts? Is Duke worth more than double what I'd pay at Cornell? I am from upstate NY so the weather does not matter to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated


No

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby BerkeleyBear » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Lincoln wrote:
jsmith201 wrote:Here's the story: I've recently been admitted to Duke off the WL. From what I've read on TLS there is no merit money and very little need. I outperformed my numbers for both schools (I'd rather not list them). Although I haven't heard from Duke, I was hoping to get at least some need-based aid. Cornell offered me 35K/year.

Ideally my SO would cover our COL, but we anticipate needing a little extra in loans to supplement his income.

I've already paid both deposits at Cornell and a deposit on an apartment ($900 and $1150 respectively).

Career Goals- I want to work BigLaw if possible but I am NOT set on NYC. I was planning on trying for NYC, DC and NC.

Thoughts? Is Duke worth more than double what I'd pay at Cornell? I am from upstate NY so the weather does not matter to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated


No

+1

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9652
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:32 pm

Cornell

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:32 pm

This isn't even a question. I don't feel like searching for the jpeg of the money burning from Batman, but that is what Duke would be--pure lunacy. Cornell is the only option here .

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Paying ~$100K more for Duke than Cornell would be utter madness. These are peer schools. Anyone who votes for Duke here is an idiot.
Last edited by Ti Malice on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby DorianGray89 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Ask Duke about financial aid - I know more than one person who has gotten off the WL at Duke and has been given money.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:49 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:Ask Duke about financial aid - I know more than one person who has gotten off the WL at Duke and has been given money.


They will probably give you something. But considering the cost of living difference, and the fact that they are peer schools, there is no way Duke makes sense. They may give you $20 or $30k, there is no way in hell they give you $100k.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Winston1984 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Who is the jackass that voted Duke?

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby DaRascal » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:57 pm

I have yet to vote but I would personally pick Duke because over the course of your career if you're successful the difference in costs right now will look like chump change and Duke is better (DNCG not CNDG) overall. The big downside for me would be that heat (especially in the summer) to be honest because I'm from up north!!

Besides, from everything I've heard Duke is a really fun place to be and if you like college hoops you already know! They don't put a price on happiness my friend!! I would visit! :P

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15110
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby suralin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:00 pm

DaRascal wrote:I have yet to vote but I would personally pick Duke because over the course of your career if you're successful the difference in costs right now will look like chump change and Duke is better (DCNG not CNGD) overall. The big downside for me would be that heat (especially in the summer) to be honest because I'm from up north!!

Besides, from everything I've heard Duke is a really fun place to be and if you like college hoops you already know! They don't put a price on happiness my friend!! I would visit! :P


Meh troll. If this is for real though, it's so retarded it's funny--I like the smiley faces and exclamation marks.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Micdiddy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:01 pm

DaRascal wrote:I have yet to vote but I would personally pick Duke because over the course of your career if you're successful the difference in costs right now will look like chump change and Duke is better (DCNG not CNGD) overall. The big downside for me would be that heat (especially in the summer) to be honest because I'm from up north!!

Besides, from everything I've heard Duke is a really fun place to be and if you like college hoops you already know! They don't put a price on happiness my friend!! I would visit! :P


Most of your trolling is tolerable, but this is pretty awful and liable to mislead op. Come on, you're better than that. Stick to off topic trolling or if you must non-harmful on topic trolling like Dr. Dre.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby DaRascal » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Well I'm just saying what I would probably do. I dunno....

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:10 pm

DaRascal wrote:I have yet to vote but I would personally pick Duke


Of course you would. You're an idiot. No one here would expect anything different of you.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Love Duke. Could not imagine doing law school anywhere else. But you should choose Cornell and it is not really close (unless you are from a wealthy family and have an extreme aversion to hills and snow).

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9652
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
DaRascal wrote:I have yet to vote but I would personally pick Duke


Of course you would. You're an idiot. No one here would expect anything different of you.


Often the most substantive indicator to arise from a Choosing a Law School thread is when DaRascal makes a suggestion: you always know the exact opposite is TCR.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
DaRascal wrote:I have yet to vote but I would personally pick Duke because over the course of your career if you're successful the difference in costs right now will look like chump change and Duke is better (DCNG not CNGD) overall. The big downside for me would be that heat (especially in the summer) to be honest because I'm from up north!!

Besides, from everything I've heard Duke is a really fun place to be and if you like college hoops you already know! They don't put a price on happiness my friend!! I would visit! :P


Most of your trolling is tolerable, but this is pretty awful and liable to mislead op. Come on, you're better than that. Stick to off topic trolling or if you must non-harmful on topic trolling like Dr. Dre.


This. Darascal, I am very disappointed in you. You're better than this. Troll better/funnier.

OP, Cornell is the obvious choice. Just FYI I was accepted to both schools outright (not waitlisted) and Cornell offered me 23K more and Duke matched. If you really prefer Duke perhaps you can negotiate with them, although I'm not sure how ameniable they are to doing this for waitlisted people.

Also, how the F did you get 35K per year if you over performed your numbers? Seriously, this secretive stuff is not cool, you need to share your story when your cycle is over to help future generations of applicants.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
DaRascal wrote:I have yet to vote but I would personally pick Duke


Of course you would. You're an idiot. No one here would expect anything different of you.


Often the most substantive indicator to arise from a Choosing a Law School thread is when DaRascal makes a suggestion: you always know the exact opposite is TCR.


Perhaps DaRascal is the same person who runs the "successful troll" account on ATL?

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:30 pm

DaRascal wrote:Well I'm just saying what I would probably do. I dunno....


You're a terrible, obvious, and unfunny troll, so what you would probably do is irrelevant.

OP, Cornell is the right choice here. Duke isn't $100k better.

User avatar
willwilliams1334
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby willwilliams1334 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:05 pm

how is cornell's placement compared to duke's?

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:06 pm

willwilliams1334 wrote:how is cornell's placement compared to duke's?

For biglaw + clerkship numbers at a glance, slightly better or slightly worse(depends on what year you look at. So random fluctuations in the data are the only difference) Cornell has a greater NYC focus for placement than Duke tho Duke is pretty NYC focused too. Very similar schools and at equal price, OP might choose Duke for possibly wanting to work in NC...but yeah, it isn't equal cost.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby Lincoln » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:45 pm

willwilliams1334 wrote:how is cornell's placement compared to duke's?


sinfiery is spot on. Duke's clerkships numbers are generally a bit better, but otherwise it's about the same. This is for the class of 2012:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=duke

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Lincoln wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:how is cornell's placement compared to duke's?


sinfiery is spot on. Duke's clerkships numbers are generally a bit better, but otherwise it's about the same. This is for the class of 2012:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=duke


Yeah they're pretty similar. The key difference is *where* they are placing these biglaw jobs. Cornell is all-out-balls-to-the-wall NY focused. Duke places less in NY overall but has broader reach

EDIT: How are you calculating your COA for Duke? that seems pretty low

User avatar
willwilliams1334
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby willwilliams1334 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:28 am

Lincoln wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:how is cornell's placement compared to duke's?


sinfiery is spot on. Duke's clerkships numbers are generally a bit better, but otherwise it's about the same. This is for the class of 2012:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=duke


cornell seems to place way above its rank for biglaw

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Postby moonman157 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:46 am

Seriously, how is this a question?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests