U of Toronto versus Harvard

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

U of T/Harvard?

University of Toronto
50%
Harvard
50%

Total votes: 64

Harv

U of Toronto versus Harvard

Postby Harv » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:18 pm

I have been accepted to both schools. I initially chose U of T, but have asked to be reconsidered at Harvard. I intend to accept Harvard if my flakiness is forgiven, but am curious to hear what some TLSers think of the following factors which informed my thinking along the way (please dispute any of my points which seem misinformed/misconceived):

Advantages of Toronto:
I am Canadian, and would ultimately prefer to live in Canada rather than the USA. This desire, however, can be outweighed by opportunity and quality of life.

Attending U of T would be about 60K cheaper.

I will likely strive for big law, and big law in Canada (even on Bay Street) is less demanding, competitive, and volatile. The chances of continuing with a firm are a lot higher in Canada, as are the chances of making partner.

Overall, U of T seems like a safer bet, in terms of happiness and finances.

Advantages of Harvard:
The Harvard JD is stronger, and I'm assuming I would not have a problem getting onto Bay Street with it if I so desired. As such, Harvard leaves the more lucrative but potentially unhappier American doors open, as well as the Canadian ones.

This is open for debate, but it seems that the power of the Harvard brand name may present opportunities I cannot foresee. Bring able to put Harvard JD on my resume for the rest of my life is a very enticing prospect.

Overall, Harvard is a better school and overall opportunity.

Hypotheticals:

If I went to Toronto, got onto Bay Street (excellent placement rates) and succeeded long term at an elite firm, I would be happy with this result. Obviously, there is little chance I will find out what life as a corporate lawyer is like in a major American city. But, this is a less demanding and more stable scenario, with perhaps even more financial payoff, as I will (hypothetically) stay at the firm long term.

If I went to Harvard, landed a job at an elite firm in a major American center, and lasted 2 or 3 years, then came back to Canada, it seems I would be a quite impressive candidate. I have more options available to me, but I risk greater unhappiness in the even more demanding firms, and have a greater burden of debt hanging over my head. If I missed the big law boat coming out of Harvard, my situation seems like it would be significantly worse than if this happened in Toronto.

Obviously, things may go very differently than these hypothetical scenarios. They are just meant to be food for thought. I realize I'm asking a forum full of American law students and law students to be whether I should go to one of the best American law schools, but objectivity (as much as can be dealt here) is much appreciated. What do you all think?

BigZuck

Re: U of Toronto versus Harvard

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:37 pm

That OP is a bit tl;dr-y for my taste so I didn't bother. All I saw was Harvard so that's my vote.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:38 pm

But seriously though, it's Harvard man. I'm sure U of T is great in Canada but I would definitely pay the 60K difference for Harvard.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:44 pm

Psh, Toronto? Seriously? They're not even ranked by the USNWR!

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:26 am

i'd pick H, but since you want to stay in Canada, go to U of T.

Canadians just have it better

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:43 am

If I were Canadian and wanted to live in Toronto long term, there is absolutely no way I would choose to subject myself to the absurd expense of law school in the U.S. or the lifestyle of working in NYC biglaw.

Even beyond that, I frankly doubt whether going to HLS and working at a big firm in NYC for a couple of years is really going to make you any more attractive a candidate to practice in Toronto. At that point, you will have an American JD, you'll be admitted to practice in a U.S. state, and you will have zero legal experience in Canada.

I think you're letting the Harvard mystique go to your head. Don't let it. 600 people graduate with HLS degrees every year and probably 500 of them go on to careers that are indistinguishable from people at other top schools. It won't make you a unicorn, it won't change your life, and it's worse for your goals.

NoWorries

Postby NoWorries » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:11 am

Just go to Harvard and get big Twin Cities law. Best of both worlds bro.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:20 am

NoWorries wrote:Just go to Harvard and get big Twin Cities law. Best of both worlds bro.

America is going to ruins. Obama is fucking this place up. Why would you want to stay here?

Seriously.

Stay in Canada and enjoy life there. Life here sucks, even with a Harvard JD, you wont be as happy compared to U of T JD and livin in Canada.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Did you apply to Oxbridge? That would combine Anglo legal education/opportunities with Harvard level prestige/recognition. I know Canadian/Australian firms like degrees from those schools.

The first question to me which I'm surprised no one is asking would be, what are Toronto's employment numbers? Keep in mind that Harvard basically guarantees you a good legal job in the states. If Toronto cannot provide this security with the same consistency or to the same degree, then the $$ and time in the US might be worth it. What % of Toronto grads get offers at the firms you're interested in? and have you spoken with attorneys there about a JD from Harvard?

Dr. Dre wrote:
America is going to ruins. Obama Bush and Congress fucked this place up and our political system is in shambles. Why would you want to stay here?

Seriously.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
America is going to ruins. Obama Bush AND Congress fucked this place up and our political system is in shambles. Why would you want to stay here?

Seriously.

[/quote]

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:56 pm

bruin91 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
America is going to ruins. BOOMERS and Gen Xers fucked this place up and our political system is in shambles. Why would you want to stay here?

Seriously.

[/quote]

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:14 pm

:lol:

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Poor Gen Xers, shit on by both Boomers and Millenials.

BabyJT

Postby BabyJT » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:51 pm

OP already turned down H, though. I guess depending when that decision was confirmed, isn't it more likely H is no longer even an option since they give those spots away to waitlisters? 1. I can't imagine too many people turn down H officially without an extensive thought process and for anything other than Y or S unless for some major compelling reason. Is H really likely to still have an open spot for OP and willing to give OP a second chance to say yes?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:56 pm

If OP went to Toronto, then he made the sound decision. e.i. not staying in this shittt country.

VeeD101

Postby VeeD101 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:40 pm

My vote is for Toronto. If you want to practice is Canada, why would you not go to the best school here? Your chances at a Bay street job increase with UofT rather than the other way round and you save yourself a year of NCAA exams and $60k.

I understand that Harvard is a great school but so is UofT - the brand recognition for Harvard makes it s better brand not a better school.

ket310

Postby ket310 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:29 pm

I think it depends on how Toronto places in Toronto. For example, for Koreans, if they get into seoul university, they definitely will choose it over Harvard or Yale or any other school if they want to live in Korea permanently. I don't know how it works in Canada, so it is really upto how Canadian market values toronto vs harvard.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”