Iowa with full-ride, Northwestern/$10k,or michigan sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pkpapn

New

Iowa with full-ride, Northwestern/$10k,or michigan sticker?

Post by pkpapn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:44 pm

Resident of Iowa City currently (attended Iowa for undergrad). Probably wouldn't want to work in Iowa (unless high pay in Des Moines), but not too against it. Would also love Chicago area.

I've heard a lot about going to the highest ranked school you get into. It seems like everybody on TLS is going to a T14 and that's apparently the only way to go.

But is going to a T14 worth passing up on full-ride at Iowa (#26 so still T1)?

letsjustsee

New

Re: Iowa with full-ride, Northwestern/$10k,or michigan sticker?

Post by letsjustsee » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:03 pm

Last edited by letsjustsee on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:09 pm

letsjustsee wrote:What would your total COA (do not forget accumulated interest) for all three be? What are your stats, and how many times have you taken the LSAT? ... [G]ive us your total COA and how you would be funding this (family aid, savings, loans, etc.).

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:11 pm

So, you are okay with working in Iowa? I'm confused.

Iowa is the better financial decision. I'd go to NU only if you were biglaw or bust. Or, of course, you don't want to work in Iowa your whole life.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:06 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=206299

Please following instructions. Sounds like you don't want to work in Iowa so I wouldn't go there. Other two schools are too expensive IMO but if you aren't debt averse then YOLO, pick your favorite.

*disclaimer- not attending a T14

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Is retaking a possibility? An ED at NU could wind up being a great choice for you, potentially, if that could happen.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:49 pm

OP wrote: I just finished my sophomore year of undergrad. I plan to take the June 2014 test and only take it once. My ultimate goal is a 170..
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7#p6789387
Last edited by Nova on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:50 pm

A lot of the TLS'ers don't attend T14. Obviously, with the title "Top-Law-Schools," there are a large amount of T14ers, but your situation is one that I can see as a justified reason to go to a non-T14 (Iowa), if you are okay with working in Iowa/the region for a good amount of time.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:51 pm

But is going to a T14 worth passing up on full-ride at Iowa (#26 so still T1)?
Forget ranking. Lots of lower ranked flagships are pretty much as good as Iowa. State flagship + ties + $$$/$ is usually an reasonable course of action. But like Sin said, your friend should want to live there long term.
Last edited by Nova on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pkpapn

New

Post by pkpapn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Nova wrote:
OP wrote: I just finished my sophomore year of undergrad. I plan to take the June 2014 test and only take it once. My ultimate goal is a 170..
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7#p6789387
The thread you linked actually refers to me and my situation.

This thread is the situation of someone else who does not use these forums but wanted me to ask the opinions of users on these forums to help answer his predicament. Notice I never used the word "I" until the line where I talked about what I've heard on these forums. In fact I completely avoided the use of personal pronouns when describing the situation. This is because the last time I made a topic trying to refer to someone else using the term "SWIM", I ended up getting a lot of complaints and confusion. This time, I thought I would simply leave it ambiguous so people couldn't complain.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:12 pm

NU 10k not a question.

pkpapn

New

Post by pkpapn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:45 pm

The other question was whether it would be a better decision to attend Iowa based on the presumption that there is a better chance to graduate in the top 10% (or higher) of the class at Iowa rather than at Northwestern or Michigan. Class rank greatly determines job offerings, correct?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Would your friend consider living in Iowa long term a good outcome?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:25 pm

pkpapn wrote:The other question was whether it would be a better decision to attend Iowa based on the presumption that there is a better chance to graduate in the top 10% (or higher) of the class at Iowa rather than at Northwestern or Michigan. Class rank greatly determines job offerings, correct?
wut

This thread is weird and I don't like it. Tell your friend to make an account and post. Also, tell them to follow directions.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:31 pm

pkpapn wrote:The other question was whether it would be a better decision to attend Iowa based on the presumption that there is a better chance to graduate in the top 10% (or higher) of the class at Iowa rather than at Northwestern or Michigan. Class rank greatly determines job offerings, correct?
Your friend should not take that into consideration. You cant predict law school rank. You can also rank much lower at NU/M and get a favorable outcome.
Last edited by Nova on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Post by empyreanrrv » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:31 pm

You can't assume where you will graduate in the class so don't use that as a factor in making a decision. Pick Iowa if you don't care about biglaw and want to stay there. Pick NW if you wouldn't be happy without biglaw, or if you couldn't live in Iowa.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:45 pm

empyreanrrv wrote:
You can't assume where you will graduate in the class so don't use that as a factor in making a decision. Pick Iowa if you don't care about biglaw and want to stay there. Pick NW if you wouldn't be happy without biglaw, or if you couldn't live in Iowa.
I don't agree. The correlation between GPA/LSAT factored together and 1L grades was historically .55. You can't be assured of doing well by virtue of higher incoming numbers, but it is more likely. Applicants should be aware of factual reasons behind risks, but also the benefits they may have.

That said, the expected placing differential between Iowa and NU/Mich isn't big enough to by itself make the decision. Any firm would go deep into the NU/Mich class before hiring Iowa grads in significant numbers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pkpapn

New

Post by pkpapn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:49 pm

He doesn't necessarily have a problem with living in Iowa if it produced a high paying job. Money is a pretty big priority for him. If biglaw is necessary for big money, that's where he will go.

Also, I post on his behalf not because he demands it, but because I get a benefit out of these answers too. He attended college with me ( I am also at Iowa) , and we have almost identical GPAs. Thus if, I score similarly on the LSAT, these answers could prove useful to me too someday.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:54 pm

How much do you want to be in Chicago versus Iowa?

pkpapn

New

Post by pkpapn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:How much do you want to be in Chicago versus Iowa?
As much as the difference in salary. The actual area doesn't really matter. Chicago is close enough to his family to not be considered a hindrance.

That being said, I've heard Des Moines has an excellent legal market comparatively to many other places, and it's one of the wealthiest metropolitan areas in the country.

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Post by empyreanrrv » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:03 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
empyreanrrv wrote:
I don't agree. The correlation between GPA/LSAT factored together and 1L grades was historically .55. You can't be assured of doing well by virtue of higher incoming numbers, but it is more likely. Applicants should be aware of factual reasons behind risks, but also the benefits they may have.

That said, the expected placing differential between Iowa and NU/Mich isn't big enough to by itself make the decision. Any firm would go deep into the NU/Mich class before hiring Iowa grads in significant numbers.
A correlation exists, but OP can't pick Iowa with the assumption that he will be top of the class. It is not strong enough to be a significant factor in making a decision.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:30 pm

pkpapn wrote:
As much as the difference in salary. The actual area doesn't really matter. Chicago is close enough to his family to not be considered a hindrance.

That being said, I've heard Des Moines has an excellent legal market comparatively to many other places, and it's one of the wealthiest metropolitan areas in the country.
Iowa is a flyover state, I doubt BIG DES MOINES is that much of a thing.

If he wants DES BIG MONEY he needs to go to NU or Michigan to have a shot at that. Most likely outcome out of Iowa is making like 40-50K.

You have yet to follow directions. This thread has gone on long enough, please stop. Have your friend post a proper thread if he wants proper feedback.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:38 am

pkpapn wrote:

Did you hear that from shitboomer Iowans? Those are the only possible people who would say that.

pkpapn

New

Post by pkpapn » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:31 am

worldtraveler wrote:
pkpapn wrote:

Did you hear that from shitboomer Iowans? Those are the only possible people who would say that.
I'll pardon your ignorance. According to USNews (the source you trust for your law school rankings),
"but Des Moines, Iowa, is--at least by one measure--the richest metropolitan area in America"
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... al-incomes

I go to the University of Iowa too. The only people wealthier than the parents of the kids from Chicago are the ones from Des Moines. It almost seems as if everyone from that city has parents that are multi-millionaires. I've even met a couple guys from billionaire families here.
BigZuck wrote:
Iowa is a flyover state, I doubt BIG DES MOINES is that much of a thing.

If he wants DES BIG MONEY he needs to go to NU or Michigan to have a shot at that. Most likely outcome out of Iowa is making like 40-50K.

You have yet to follow directions. This thread has gone on long enough, please stop. Have your friend post a proper thread if he wants proper feedback.
It appears i overestimate the knowledge held by some of the posters here. I will comply with your request and let this topic die.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:41 am

Advise your friend to go to the T14, since money is more important than location to them.
USNews (the source you trust for your law school rankings),
No

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”