Does school ranking matter? FSU v FIU v Penn St v NYLS v Nov

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sublime

Re: Does school ranking matter? FSU v FIU v Penn St v NYLS v Nov

Postby sublime » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:07 pm

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm definitely a believer for sure. I believe that ordinary people can do extraordinary things! I don't think he's going to a T14 b/c of his GPA so he can make some nice ass lemonade, kill it at FSU, and become a boss. 8)

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Retake>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fsu>>>>>>>>other options

Justin Genious

Postby Justin Genious » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:03 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
Justin Genious wrote:Penn St for that Ivy League swag

Your joke is bad and you should feel bad.

jselson wrote:
Justin Genious wrote:Penn St for that Ivy League swag

This joke should be a bannable offense.

Nice overplayed TLS joke sarcasm recognition.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:31 pm

DaRascal wrote:I'm definitely a believer for sure. I believe that ordinary people can do extraordinary things! I don't think he's going to a T14 b/c of his GPA so he can make some nice ass lemonade, kill it at FSU, and become a boss. 8)

Do you ever get tired of posting the same trolling in all of these threads?

AT9

Postby AT9 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Go with FSU if you're ok working in Florida. Odds of getting out of Florida or the region are pretty small I would think.

Sure, FSU may be shit compared to T14, but it's essentially tied for the best law school in the fourth most populous state. It's also a pretty good value for in-state people.

That being said, unless you think 160 is about the best you can do, I'd retake.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:20 am

ajax adonis wrote:Sure. Ranking matters. And these are all horribly ranked and you should not go to any of them.

If OP insists on starting school this year, FSU isn't a bad choice with the right stips. I would retake with a goal of 170+ and apply to Cornell, Duke, GULC, and possibly Northwestern - assuming good W.E. - as well as Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, GW, WUSTL, Emory, BU, and N.D.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:28 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
DaRascal wrote:I'm definitely a believer for sure. I believe that ordinary people can do extraordinary things! I don't think he's going to a T14 b/c of his GPA so he can make some nice ass lemonade, kill it at FSU, and become a boss. 8)

Do you ever get tired of posting the same trolling in all of these threads?

I don't know why so many 22-year-olds with low gpa's insist on starting school right out of UG. Go do a post-baccalaureate program and give the adcoms some new grades (i.e. A's and B's in challenging classes) to look at! Re-take the LSAT and turn the 160 into 170. Work and/or do community service during that time.

The adcoms respect a student who takes the time to put his best foot forward. In 2-3 short years you can look like a completely different candidate. Why the rush? This is the foundation upon which your entire career and life might be built. Do it right!

You could be talking the difference between FSU and, say Northwestern or Duke...or maybe even Virginia, Michigan or Penn. That's a big change in job prospects, earnings, social and professional networks, and possibly even the quality of women (or men) one might attract as romantic partners! That might sound elitist, but American society is elitist.
Last edited by PDaddy on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

willwilliams1334

Postby willwilliams1334 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:33 am

shitboomer?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:40 am

willwilliams1334 wrote:

shitboomer?

Potato.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:46 am

FSU really worth 50k COA more than FIU? Approx 65k vs 110k COA for the two

CupOfTea

Postby CupOfTea » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:10 am

jselson wrote:TCR is retake or don't go, but I don't think FSU w/ ties is a horrible decision like the others, but only if you want to work in FL (esp govt). Every other school you list is an immediate never go.

This. If you are set on enrolling FSU is OK at that price. Do not even think of attending Nova

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:41 am

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:26 pm

sublime wrote:
sinfiery wrote:FSU really worth 50k COA more than FIU? Approx 65k vs 110k COA for the two

It is an interesting question. I think there is an imaginary line for which TLS won't advocate paying any money for a school. FSU is above it, FIU is not. I don't know if it is rational though.

Keep in mind, IIRC FIU is a pretty new program though, whereas FSU is well established.

Yeah, I have a hard time supporting FIU as a 3 year full-time investment. I would feel more comfrtable supporting FIU attendance if it's part-time and you can work to 1) still be gaining work experience in the mean time and 2) be able to cover your costs, so you're not saddled with loans when you are done. Might be best for those who can work as a paralegal at a firm during that time if they are confident that firm would give them an associate position once they graduate (and if they get screwed over, like many have in such a situation, at least they wouldn't have piles of debt to deal with)

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:40 pm

I'm not familiar with the local climate and reputation but 65 vs 56% employed is not a difference I'd pay that much more for at first glance. Quality of jobs could definitely be enough to warrant the difference.

It does seem people from FL favor FSU pretty distinctly ITT tho.

jselson

Postby jselson » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:00 pm

sinfiery wrote:I'm not familiar with the local climate and reputation but 65 vs 56% employed is not a difference I'd pay that much more for at first glance. Quality of jobs could definitely be enough to warrant the difference.

It does seem people from FL favor FSU pretty distinctly ITT tho.

Yeah, I'm from FL and FIU has zero reputation in the state except as a giant boondoggle by the govt. It's also known for its minority outreach, so if OP isn't a URM, that employment number may be deceiving. And take a look at the "type of employment" section on LST for FSU vs FIU, and you'll see that more of FSU's jobs are quality.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:04 pm

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:14 pm

I see. Really not sure if I'd pay upwards of 100k for FSU but OP isn't going to get a much better offer. I might, tho.

OP, what is your alternative career route?

amollica

Postby amollica » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:04 pm

I do not have an alternate route. Nor do I think I need one, thank you.

sinfiery wrote:I see. Really not sure if I'd pay upwards of 100k for FSU but OP isn't going to get a much better offer. I might, tho.

OP, what is your alternative career route?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:15 pm

amollica wrote:I do not have an alternate route. Nor do I think I need one, thank you.

Oh boy, someone is in for an ugly surprise or two upon graduation.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:27 pm

If youre not going to retake, I think FSU for 110k is your best option. Its overpaying for a decent flagship regional a bit, but your actually lucky to have that option with your numbers(160/2.X).

20k/yr tuition is way to much for a TTT. I get that since you live at home its like a bigger scholarship, but still.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Yeah, after all the testimony ITT, FSU seems like the best deal. If I had to work at Walmart in Florida or attend at that cost, I would. I'd probably take Starbucks over it though.

Goodluck OP, go in understanding that a good outcome is anything but given. A less than ideal situation sucks but not knowing you are in a less than ideal situation is rock bottom.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 pm

DaRascal wrote:Florida State is a decent school. It wouldn't be T1 if it wasn't. Don't listen to the haters! Some of those other schools like NYLS and Nova aren't good but a top 50 law school can always be worth it I think. :wink:

Go away. I liked it better when you weren't posting.

OP, don't listen to this dude's advice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”