Northwestern (sticker) v Minne 75k COA v Alabama 50k COA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose

Alabama (50k COA)
29%
Minnesota (75k COA)
9%
Northwestern (~225k)
62%

Total votes: 55

Micdiddy

Re: Northwestern (sticker) v Minne 75k COA v Alabama 50k COA

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:46 pm

If Bama continues to make similar jumps in the rankings it'll be the highest ranked school in no time :)
BYH SCC NPV...

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Micdiddy wrote:If Bama continues to make similar jumps in the rankings it'll be the highest ranked school in no time :)
BYH SCC NPV...

Bama is the best deal at residency sticker than any non-T14 school except for maybe Texas. I cannot for the life of me understand why more schools don't follow their model. The only non-T14 schools at much I would say sticker is legitimately not a bad option are UT, Bama, Georgia and BYU (for residents, or in the latter case, adherents).

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:54 pm

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:18 pm

You need to have some idea of why you are going to law school and where you want to live.

NU can get you into many places. Most of the cities you listed are small market with local schools that feed into the market. I think you will need a top school to help you get a job.

I'm extremely debt averse but with these choices go to Northwestern.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:39 am

so after speaking with my parents and thinking about it, really the only outcome that makes sense for me to leave my job for law school would be Biglaw.... so it looks like going to NU at sticker my parents have agreed to pick up all my living expense i just need to take out the loans for tuition if that helps.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:26 pm

dstars823 wrote:so after speaking with my parents and thinking about it, really the only outcome that makes sense for me to leave my job for law school would be Biglaw.... so it looks like going to NU at sticker my parents have agreed to pick up all my living expense i just need to take out the loans for tuition if that helps.

lol

well, if your family will help pay for you and are behind your decision, then its worth it. We often assume these decisions are being made by entirely independent individuals just to keep the analysis consistent, but some people stay closer to the nest and have a more financially active support network. We are not your only source of wisdom. You will end up with ~$200K in debt at graduation. Better than $280K, but be aware of what this implies for you for 4-5 yrs after law school. Gun hard, son.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:22 pm

They aren't kidding when they say NU is biglaw or bust. Good luck man.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:45 pm

OP, when people inevitably call you a gunner at NU, remind them you're graded on a curve against people who will be financially screwed if they finish below median, just like you, and some people WILL be screwed.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:OP, when people inevitably call you a gunner at NU, remind them you're graded on a curve against people who will be financially screwed if they finish below median, just like you, and some people WILL be screwed.

:roll:

I bet you're fun at parties.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:52 pm

Samara wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:OP, when people inevitably call you a gunner at NU, remind them you're graded on a curve against people who will be financially screwed if they finish below median, just like you, and some people WILL be screwed.

but that implies he goes to parties :shock:

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Yah we don't call people "gunners" to their faces.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Samara wrote:

1L parties? Ain't nobody got time for that.

I'm fortunate enough not to be facing anything close to sticker debt, but aren't people who are paying sticker at schools where half the class is whiffing at Biglaw/Fedclerk absolutely terrified? It's a bit like going to Vegas and putting $250k or red or black.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:55 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Samara wrote:

I'm fortunate enough not to be facing anything close to sticker debt, but aren't people who are paying sticker at schools where half the class is whiffing at Biglaw/Fedclerk absolutely terrified? It's a bit like going to Vegas and putting $250k or red or black.

So you're going to be a 1L at UVA? I think you'll find time for a few parties.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:06 pm

work hard play harder right?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Being an aspie douchbag is worse for your big law chances than bad grades. Below median isn't a kiss of death, but being weird is.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Being an aspie douchbag is worse for your big law chances than bad grades. Below median isn't a kiss of death, but being weird is.

*Insert comment about description of half of law school population here*

This is true. I guess I'm thinking anyone who was too nerdy to go to any parties in high school (like me) managed to learn something about partying in college, but that isn't necessarily true. If you can't feel comfortable at a social gathering where you're not standing in a corner, the world is going to be a lot harder than a Torts exam. Even in a relatively meritocratic field like law, social intelligence is still the single biggest determinant of your success. If you didn't learn how to function socially by college or your early twenties, you picked a pretty inconvenient time to start. But you have to learn or they'll think you're pretty immature come OCI.

I tend to predicate that notion on the idea that an otherwise relatively normal person (well, by law school standards) can gun for a year and still basically be a presentable human being come OCI. Really, non-HYSers need to be both above median-ish AND somewhat normal to get a Biglaw job. But if you had to pick one, take the latter--it will matter many more times in life than grades will.

basilseal wrote: So you're going to be a 1L at UVA? I think you'll find time for a few parties.

This is true, either fortunately or unfortunately. I'll let you know which when my 1L grades come back :D

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Samara wrote:

You are overstating the difficulty of getting a good outcome from NU (and other T14 schools for that matter). And you're being a douche about it in the process.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:19 pm

Samara wrote:You are overstating the difficulty of getting a good outcome from NU (and other T14 schools for that matter). And you're being a douche about it in the process.

I guess that depends on the definition of good outcome. A Biglaw job? A job period? I would argue, at minimum, a third of NU's grads are not finding a good outcome, even with a relatively broad interpretation of that term.

As for being a douche, sorry if it comes across that way--not intending to do so in any way, though perhaps you could point me towards what specifically you found objectionable?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

*Insert comment about description of half of law school population here*

This is true. I guess I'm thinking anyone who was too nerdy to go to any parties in high school (like me) managed to learn something about partying in college, but that isn't necessarily true. If you can't feel comfortable at a social gathering where you're not standing in a corner, the world is going to be a lot harder than a Torts exam. Even in a relatively meritocratic field like law, social intelligence is still the single biggest determinant of your success. If you didn't learn how to function socially by college or your early twenties, you picked a pretty inconvenient time to start. But you have to learn or they'll think you're pretty immature come OCI.

I tend to predicate that notion on the idea that an otherwise relatively normal person (well, by law school standards) can gun for a year and still basically be a presentable human being come OCI. Really, non-HYSers need to be both above median-ish AND somewhat normal to get a Biglaw job. But if you had to pick one, take the latter--it will matter many more times in life than grades will.

basilseal wrote: So you're going to be a 1L at UVA? I think you'll find time for a few parties.

This is true, either fortunately or unfortunately. I'll let you know which when my 1L grades come back :D

I wouldn't take going to parties in law school as a sign of social competence. My friends and I were blitzed and wrecked enough senior year of high school and first few years of college to basically be over it. After graduating and working FT for a few years, I've definitely calmed down and realized my priorities. Just because I won't be looking to relive 2008, hit the club every weekend and shroom it up in central park as a 1L doesn't mean I won't have the requisite social skills to get a job. I'm guessing a lot of the non-k-jds will have matured to the point where they have families or SO's, friends in the area, and a different approach to study habits that might preclude them from a college social life without indicating they are hopeless aspies

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:39 pm

jbagelboy wrote:shroom it up in central park

We might have been going to different parties.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”