IUB$$$ vs W&M$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Elanor112

IUB$$$ vs W&M$$

Postby Elanor112 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:20 pm

I have narrowed my choices down to these two schools, and honestly I really lean towards W&M, because my ultimate goal is to work in government; however, IUB is offering me $35,000/yr, bringing my yearly tuition down to $13,000, whereas W&M is only offering me $15,000/yr, leaving my tuition at $23,000/yr. I know Indiana is ranked higher, but W&M seems to have the better longstanding reputation and is close to D.C. Does anyone have any thoughts? Your help is appreciated.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Re: IUB$$$ vs W&M$$

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu May 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Have you retaken the LSAT? If you haven't, you could do a lot better than those schools.

Elanor112

Postby Elanor112 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:30 pm

I haven't, but I am pretty set on going this year. Due to personal circumstances in my life, I just need a change. Also, I have already given notice at my job. If I do well enough the 1st year, I may consider transferring. I realize that that is certainly not guaranteed though, and I am willing to take that risk.

Eberry

Postby Eberry » Thu May 30, 2013 2:57 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator. http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissions-financial-aid/office-of-financial-aid/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&pageid=61621
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu May 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Elanor112 wrote:I haven't, but I am pretty set on going this year. Due to personal circumstances in my life, I just need a change. Also, I have already given notice at my job. If I do well enough the 1st year, I may consider transferring. I realize that that is certainly not guaranteed though, and I am willing to take that risk.

Really, don't. Doing a few points better on the LSAT is worth literally tens of thousands of dollars. Do something else for the next year. Anything. I'm presuming, based on your scholarships, you have an LSAT in the mid-160s. Raise it to 170 and apply T14. If you take the year off, study hard for the LSAT, and retake, you will get into a significantly better school. Neither of those schools gives you a good chance at decent employment.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu May 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Elanor112 wrote:I haven't, but I am pretty set on going this year. Due to personal circumstances in my life, I just need a change. Also, I have already given notice at my job. If I do well enough the 1st year, I may consider transferring. I realize that that is certainly not guaranteed though, and I am willing to take that risk.

No offense, but that is literally the worst reason I've ever heard for wanting to go to law school. I highly recommend reevaluating whether or not you really want to go to law school. Research the legal market, shadow a lawyer, work at a firm, or do whatever else you can to learn about what a legal career entails.

If you're still serious about becoming a lawyer after that, retake the LSAT.

Elanor112

Postby Elanor112 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Really not looking for feedback on my life choices, just the schools. I do not plan on waiting a year, so I really just want feedback on this specific choice between these 2 schools. I have thought about all of this extensively, and this is the best decision for me right now. After law school, I have considered working for a government agency, possibly the FBI, making W&M seem like a better decision if cost were not a factor; however, given that I will be financing this through loans, I know that I need to also keep the cost in mind. The total cost using the GT calculator came to $147,333 for 3 years for W&M and $112,828 for IUB.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Both schools are out at that price.

Retake. Especially if you want a chance at fulfilling your career aspirations. No one is judging you or giving feedback on your life choices, this is strictly coming from a you having a shot at getting the job that you want and maintaining financial solvency standpoint.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu May 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Elanor112 wrote:Really not looking for feedback on my life choices, just the schools. I do not plan on waiting a year, so I really just want feedback on this specific choice between these 2 schools.

I have zero clue why you intend on being this stubborn. You are making a big mistake by going to school this year without having retaken the LSAT. You're making a false equivalency. There are these two choices, and then a third way, way better choice that you're ignoring for vague "I need a change" reasons.

After law school, I have considered working for a government agency, possibly the FBI

There are 25 schools that will give you a better chance to do this, if you retake.

however, given that I will be financing this through loans, I know that I need to also keep the cost in mind. The total cost using the GT calculator came to $147,333 for 3 years for W&M and $112,828 for IUB.

If you actually intended on keeping the cost in mind, you'd retake to earn a bigger scholarship. As it stands, you're going to have an unfun time paying back that debt on a government salary.

I have thought about all of this extensively, and this is the best decision for me right now.

No it isn't. In no world is this the best decision for you right now. Whatever is bothering you in your personal life is not a reason to sell your professional career short.

allamerican73

Postby allamerican73 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Elanor112 wrote:I have narrowed my choices down to these two schools, and honestly I really lean towards W&M, because my ultimate goal is to work in government; however, IUB is offering me $35,000/yr, bringing my yearly tuition down to $13,000, whereas W&M is only offering me $15,000/yr, leaving my tuition at $23,000/yr. I know Indiana is ranked higher, but W&M seems to have the better longstanding reputation and is close to D.C. Does anyone have any thoughts? Your help is appreciated.

RANKING DIFFERENCE IS MEANINGLESS AT THIS LEVEL. I REPEAT, RANKING DIFFERENCE IS MEANINGLESS AT THIS LEVEL. These are both *solid* regional schools. Assuming you will be in the "middle" of the class, would you prefer to practice law in Indiana or Virginia? Make your choice accordingly.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 30, 2013 4:44 pm

allamerican73 wrote:
Elanor112 wrote:I have narrowed my choices down to these two schools, and honestly I really lean towards W&M, because my ultimate goal is to work in government; however, IUB is offering me $35,000/yr, bringing my yearly tuition down to $13,000, whereas W&M is only offering me $15,000/yr, leaving my tuition at $23,000/yr. I know Indiana is ranked higher, but W&M seems to have the better longstanding reputation and is close to D.C. Does anyone have any thoughts? Your help is appreciated.

RANKING DIFFERENCE IS MEANINGLESS AT THIS LEVEL. I REPEAT, RANKING DIFFERENCE IS MEANINGLESS AT THIS LEVEL. These are both *solid* regional schools. Assuming you will be in the "middle" of the class, would you prefer to practice law in Indiana or Virginia? Make your choice accordingly.

But don't go to either without ties you also meant to include, right?

Mono, I agreed with most of what you said but I am doubting that higher ranking automatically equals greater chance at government job.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu May 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu May 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Elanor112 wrote:Really not looking for feedback on my life choices, just the schools. I do not plan on waiting a year, so I really just want feedback on this specific choice between these 2 schools. I have thought about all of this extensively, and this is the best decision for me right now. After law school, I have considered working for a government agency, possibly the FBI, making W&M seem like a better decision if cost were not a factor; however, given that I will be financing this through loans, I know that I need to also keep the cost in mind. The total cost using the GT calculator came to $147,333 for 3 years for W&M and $112,828 for IUB.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 11:04 pm

retake

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 30, 2013 11:07 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:retake

At those prices?

Yep

Go look at lawschooltransparency.com to see how bad the job situation is

rickgrimes69