NYU v UVA for Biglaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU or UVA

Poll ended at Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:14 pm

NYU
35
65%
UVA
19
35%
 
Total votes: 54

sideoffries
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby sideoffries » Fri May 31, 2013 9:16 am

.
Last edited by sideoffries on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:30 am

sideoffries wrote:It wasn't easy, but I decided to sack up and deposit at NYU


Have fun paying $3,000+ a month in loan payments for the next ten years

sideoffries
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby sideoffries » Fri May 31, 2013 9:32 am

.
Last edited by sideoffries on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:40 am

sideoffries wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
sideoffries wrote:It wasn't easy, but I decided to sack up and deposit at NYU


Have fun paying $3,000+ a month in loan payments for the next ten years


No


Oh sorry I forgot you were the one blowing your Gmama's inheritance. Nvm

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby JamesDean1955 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:02 am

.
Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri May 31, 2013 11:20 am

wtf. NYU is TCR. you're not footing the bill so go to the highest ranked school. and fuck, retake doesn't matter either. you made right decision OP

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 31, 2013 11:24 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
sideoffries wrote:It wasn't easy, but I decided to sack up and deposit at NYU



Oh sorry I forgot you were the one blowing your Gmama's inheritance. Nvm


+1. Stupid decision. Have fun being a financial moron OP.


Lol. Love you guys, but you're making TLS sound like a bitter peanut gallery. OP ultimately has a better outcome than any of us, albeit achieved on different pretenses. Time to bury the hatchets --

Congrats on NYU, OP. its a great school for your goals, and the fact you chose mind over comfort here is a positive indication. Moreover, living in the city will broaden your perspective however, please remember to be open minded or you will be alienated. Good luck!

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Fri May 31, 2013 11:49 am

.
Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri May 31, 2013 12:03 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
sideoffries wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
Have fun paying $3,000+ a month in loan payments for the next ten years


No


Oh sorry I forgot you were the one blowing your Gmama's inheritance. Nvm


+1. Stupid decision. Have fun being a financial moron OP.

wtf is wrong with you people, this is a toss up at worst.

the new breed of know-it-all TLS posters is insufferable.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby JamesDean1955 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:07 pm

.
Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri May 31, 2013 12:08 pm

Haters are so dumb. NYU is great and you should be happy. Nothing is a sure thing unless we are talking Yale. 15% of Harvard strikes out. Be proud, feel lucky, and kill 1L.

senorhosh
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 am

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby senorhosh » Fri May 31, 2013 12:24 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:the new breed of know-it-all TLS posters is insufferable.


You clearly don't know wtf you're talking about, which makes you the insufferable idiot in the room. So you can kiss my ass bitch :) . Over and out what a piece of shit thread.


Wow, real mature.

Thread just took a turn for the worse

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri May 31, 2013 12:42 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:the new breed of know-it-all TLS posters is insufferable.


You clearly don't know wtf you're talking about, which makes you the insufferable idiot in the room. So you can kiss my ass bitch :) . Over and out what a piece of shit thread.

can't wait to see you post about how you can't figure out personal jurisdiction in six months while I'm working a legal job.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri May 31, 2013 12:46 pm

Holy cow, you guys are descending pretty low for an argument about NYU vs. UVA. Take a deep breath and cut out the name calling.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri May 31, 2013 12:47 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:the new breed of know-it-all TLS posters is insufferable.


You clearly don't know wtf you're talking about, which makes you the insufferable idiot in the room. So you can kiss my ass bitch :) . Over and out what a piece of shit thread.

can't wait to see you post about how you can't figure out personal jurisdiction in six months while I'm working a legal job.


Can't wait to eat these brownies I baked myself for lunch today

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15092
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby suralin » Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
sideoffries wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:Have fun paying $3,000+ a month in loan payments for the next ten years


No


Oh sorry I forgot you were the one blowing your Gmama's inheritance. Nvm


+1. Stupid decision. Have fun being a financial moron OP.


JamesDean1955 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:the new breed of know-it-all TLS posters is insufferable.


You clearly don't know wtf you're talking about, which makes you the insufferable idiot in the room. So you can kiss my ass bitch :) . Over and out what a piece of shit thread.


LOL why so mad? I don't get the NYU hate.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri May 31, 2013 1:08 pm

This is a pretty severe reaction for an NYU vs. UVA thread...

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15418
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby sublime » Fri May 31, 2013 1:13 pm

..

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby JamesDean1955 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:45 pm

.
Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15092
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby suralin » Fri May 31, 2013 2:20 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:can't wait to see you post about how you can't figure out personal jurisdiction in six months while I'm working a legal job.


Seeing as your attention to detail is sorely lacking I'm more concerned about you keeping that legal job of yours, chief.


Suralin wrote:LOL why so mad? I don't get the NYU hate.


1. I have nothing but love for NYU.

2. I'm sick of moronic law students on these boards putting down 0Ls for not knowing shit when these students are clearly some of the dumbest people I have ever run into. If people are getting offended at my use of cursing, go fuck yourselves. Also, welcome to the real world. People curse. Get over yourselves.

3. The fact that people keep making this about NYU v. UVA astonishes me. The fact that OP has a HYS worthy GPA, can retake the LSAT, and is using a truckload of family money to finance an overpriced legal education which he could avoid by taking a year off,and retaking while working in a real world job saving some money he actually earned is a game changer. This is not, and was never, a NYU vs. UVA dilemma.

4. OP wasted everyone's time by starting a stupid thread when he clearly had his mind nearly made up (if not completely) already and yet started another thread anyways. These threads always turn out the same, and are a complete shit show. This could have been avoided by using the search function and reading the 100 other threads on this topic (and yes, the whole using parents money dilemma has been brought up numerous times before).

Can't believe I just wasted my time on y'all typing that. Now I'm really over and out.


I see your point, but taking your frustration out on the OP (and calling his decision stupid and him a moron) is not TCR in the on-topics. And where are you getting that the OP already had his mind made up?

Also, as an 0L, I sympathize with (2), but I don't really think it's as huge of a problem as you make it out to be. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if current 0Ls act similarly when they're actually in law school--experience really does make a difference, especially in a field like law.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby sinfiery » Fri May 31, 2013 5:48 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:You'd enjoy Chicago. We have a big group of people in our student body that are like you.

Don't go to UVA. This is a really, really dumb idea.

If you want M&A/corporate work go to NYU. New York is really the only market that has recovered from the recession, and therefore, the most opportunities are going to be in New York. NYU is better than all but Yale and maybe Harvard in NYC, and equal to Columbia and possibly uChicago. UVA is not the same quality level in New York. NYU has median kids getting great Vault firms. UVA has top-third kids. If you are at median (where you should assume you'll be) the question you should ask yourself it "where is my alumni network." You'll find NYU's alumni network is strong in the only great deals-heavy market in the U.S.. UVA's alumni are all over, and many are in DC, which you might not have the grades or interest for if you attend.

It would be dumb to choose a school off of perceived political leanings. Law school student bodies at the top are generally similar across the board. There is some self-selection, but it is really not ideological, it is academic. The reason Chicago has so many "conservatives" is that there are a lot of law&econ libertarians who want clerkships with Easterbrook, Posner, Scalia, etc. However, for the vast majority of students are the same.

Also, political leanings do help a bit for certain things like networking and clerkships. However, these are less about how many conservatives went to your school, and more about the intensity of the conservatives at your school. For example, Chicago has a conservative alumni near-cult that finds jobs for its below median FedSoc grads. NYU may have a similar cult of conservatives, it makes sense with the school being a little more liberal that the conservatives would band closer together.


Meh. You make Chicago sound gross.

Im impressed by your perception of NYU as a Chicago student. You really think its on par for M&A transactional law with CLS and Harvard? I mean I know statistically they are not Im curious how you reached that conclusion


I think you mean pimp. One day at lunch you get to hear Martha Nussbaum talk about why incestuous marriage should be legal, the next day you hear Eric Posner talk about why there should be a market for babies, and the next day you get to hear Saul Levmore present some economic/social choice observation that makes both conservative and liberal policymakers look vacuous. Its the whole ideological diversity thing that makes it fun, where anyone can talk about anything because half of the faculty is libertarian, and won't allow the liberal faculty to shut down legitimate discourse for PC reasons. We had some lady from focus on the family coming to talk about some bigoted anti-gay thing, the undergrads wanted to protest, and the Deans basically told them they would be arrested if they wanted to come over and shut down open discourse like Nazis. By the end of the whole experience, most are more open-minded, or politically agnostic. I may be embellishing a bit, but I think it is pretty entertaining.

As for the NYU thing, I am looking from the perspective of median bro looking to get a basic transactional job in NYC. NYU has partners at every New York firm. More New York firms come to NYU's OCI than almost any other. Each NYC firm wants at least one or a couple NYU people. NYU also has a lot of people that self-select into public interest jobs. This means that you have a smaller percentage of the population competing for these jobs than CLS or HLS. Therefore, if you are pushing networking and have informed yourself, it is as great a school as any to get a basic biglaw transactional job. I think the percentages of employment are different between NYU and CLS, Harvard generally because NYU doesn't place as well as them outside of New York, and has a lot more PI people who aren't looking for government jobs. I would think CLS and HLS will give you a marginally better shot at the more selective firms down the curve a bit though.



This sounds amazing.

I think V5 firms give the very slightest of slightest preferences to CLS over NYU in that there are like 3% more CLS grads present on their current lawyer pages.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri May 31, 2013 6:23 pm

sinfiery wrote: I think V5 firms give the very slightest of slightest preferences to CLS over NYU in that there are like 3% more CLS grads present on their current lawyer pages.


Doesn't class size make it more than the slightest of slightest, even accounting for NYU's greater self-selection into PI?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 31, 2013 6:35 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
sinfiery wrote: I think V5 firms give the very slightest of slightest preferences to CLS over NYU in that there are like 3% more CLS grads present on their current lawyer pages.


Doesn't class size make it more than the slightest of slightest, even accounting for NYU's greater self-selection into PI?


I thought NYU only had ~25 ppl more on average each year. the class sizes aren't that different

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri May 31, 2013 6:43 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
sinfiery wrote: I think V5 firms give the very slightest of slightest preferences to CLS over NYU in that there are like 3% more CLS grads present on their current lawyer pages.


Doesn't class size make it more than the slightest of slightest, even accounting for NYU's greater self-selection into PI?


I thought NYU only had ~25 ppl more on average each year. the class sizes aren't that different


Whoops, my bad. I thought NYU was a little bit bigger than that. Then yeah, that data is within the margin of error.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15524
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: NYU v UVA for Biglaw

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri May 31, 2013 6:44 pm

Columbia had like 90 fewer students start this past year, but I think the usual disparity has been more like 25-50.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 2 guests