Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby Tekrul » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:10 pm

This is the reason I did not make a "choosing" thread. My choice was in no way going to be rational. I understand the economics, I'm well aware of the legal market presently, I recognize employment outcomes, etc. But when individuals like myself (and the OP) find set for themselves, in their heart, a clear winner in the choice, there is not much anyone can do to change that answer. My rationale had quantifiable bases, but in no way brought a 'break even' circumstance to the table. The gap was only just close enough for me to accept the losses.

OP, if you're still around, I'd just like to say if I divulged the details surrounding my choice, I'd also be in a similarly criticized position as you. But, when you wake up 10 years from now, which would you regret more? Not having a JD that says [NYU] on it (as in you went to Duke) or living in meager circumstances being crushed by loan debt? Would you pay 1 thousand dollars a month for 10 years to take a time machine and go back and make the choice that felt right?

As an individual who is no stranger to debt, whose entire list of personal and family assets is upside down and as a student who made that choice that didn't feel right for high school (I had the opportunity to go to an elite private school with one of the nation's most esteemed lacrosse teams but cold hard numbers and finance made that decision), I know which side of the question I fall on. Regret is a debt you cannot pay off with money.

At the end of both paths, if you had a less than desirable outcome, you'll find yourself thinking you should have chosen differently. But given positive outcomes from both, which side of the fork would you rather stand?

As a general disclaimer to other readers: this advice is almost definitely not applicable to your situation. to just about anyone except the OP ITT, I wholeheartedly disagree with everything I just said - cost at repayment and employment numbers trump 'feelings'. The choice I'm defending here is incredibly selfish, does not take into consideration the life one could be providing for SO's and/or children, and is only really relevant to those individuals who would find themselves in a spiral of depression had they not gone with their gut, all the consequences be damned.

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:23 pm

If someone gets sent into a "spiral of depression" because they chose to attend Duke law over NYU law then that person needs to get a fucking grip.

That shit is #firstworldproblems.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:42 pm

Tekrul wrote:This is the reason I did not make a "choosing" thread. My choice was in no way going to be rational. I understand the economics, I'm well aware of the legal market presently, I recognize employment outcomes, etc. But when individuals like myself (and the OP) find set for themselves, in their heart, a clear winner in the choice, there is not much anyone can do to change that answer.


Then why make a thread?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:46 pm

Tekrul wrote:This is the reason I did not make a "choosing" thread. My choice was in no way going to be rational. I understand the economics, I'm well aware of the legal market presently, I recognize employment outcomes, etc. But when individuals like myself (and the OP) find set for themselves, in their heart, a clear winner in the choice, there is not much anyone can do to change that answer. My rationale had quantifiable bases, but in no way brought a 'break even' circumstance to the table. The gap was only just close enough for me to accept the losses.

OP, if you're still around, I'd just like to say if I divulged the details surrounding my choice, I'd also be in a similarly criticized position as you.


You didn't make the choosing thread though. So you wouldn't be criticized. That's my point. And if you did make one, you would clearly articulate your views and all the variables (hopefully) .

I made one a few months ago. I stated very clearly that I had an emotional reason, my SO and most of my family, to be in New York. I included it in the evaluation of my circumstances. As a result, I received more instructive responses. TLS'ers are not entirely heartless, they respond to the circumstances in a largely objective manner. Recall, this was the OP:

wlags wrote:Hey was wondering if I could get some opinions on my decision. I was all set on Duke and paid my deposit when I got the call from NYU the other day. I have 24k a year at Duke and sticker at NYU. Was wondering if you guys thought NYU was worth the extra money. I eventually plan to work in NYC in private practice and would like to be closer to the NY area where I'm from. 24k seems like a lot though. Thoughts?


OP was looking for us to support a decision to go to NYU over Duke while playing the info close to the chest. If he/she had said in that OP above that the SO was in NYC and that factored heavily into the decision, then our responses, or at least my response, would have accommodated for it. Throwing it in 3 pages later? meh

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:46 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Tekrul wrote:This is the reason I did not make a "choosing" thread. My choice was in no way going to be rational. I understand the economics, I'm well aware of the legal market presently, I recognize employment outcomes, etc. But when individuals like myself (and the OP) find set for themselves, in their heart, a clear winner in the choice, there is not much anyone can do to change that answer.


Then why make a thread?


scooped

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:26 pm

jbagelboy wrote: "Meh". You're choosing to live in Charlottesville, Virginia for 3 years dude. Thats not a choice everyone could stomach. Sure debt sucks and professionally theres no way NYU places that much better, but at the end of the day, OP knows what sticker means and clearly is not concerned (I bet there are family assets in play). They want to be in NYC -- the reason they provided was specifically regional. Law school is somewhere you have to live for 3 years and to many, dixie is pretty lame and depressing.


I'm not really the touchy-feely type, but I can appreciate going with your heart. I did it for undergrad. School A was a little bit more prestigious, had a great department in my field of interest, had more of my friends going to it, and cost about the same as School B. Now, School B had some factors in its favor, from my point of view--it was a little smaller, it put more resources into some of the things I liked. But the main reason I chose School B was because it just felt it was right for me, that I would "fit in" there. Sometimes I think about what it would have been like to go to School A, but I really liked School B and it did great things for me. Even now, I feel very close to UVA. It's a part of my identity now, and I'm personally connected to it in a way I wasn't in November, so it would be much harder to leave for another offer.

I'm not trying to say "My formula of inputs has declared that Duke is the best option, so deposit, you insolent pleb!" I just think sometimes these decisions are made out of haste or factors that won't be nearly as relevant long-term as debt and job prospects. If I went to law school in the exact place I want to be, I'd have deposited at the University of Playboy Mansion Law School. These decisions should be made with a mix of objective and subjective criteria. Every school is going to be slightly better or worse for each particular applicant, but neither should anyone weigh their personal factors so heavily that everyone else thinks its absolutely ridiculous (it's a good sign you have misplaced priorities).

People have every right to include subjective factors in their decision, and they do it all the time here with no problem. The best of MVPB for an applicant changes depending on his/her subjective desire to work in Chicago, DC, NYC or SF. None of us are heartless pricks who can't understand the desire to be close to an SO, or be near where you're from, or have a non-Biglaw job--it's all things you need to factor in. But I don't think people should be making choice threads wherein the premise is "please tell me how right I am." It's pointless to solicit an answer that you know won't change your mind--you should be seeking a counterargument to your point so you can better understand another perspective. This is especially true if you want to make a decision that is "objectively" not the right one. Well, if you don't explain what subjective factors are influencing you, people are liable to assume you're an idiot.

P.S. If either Charlottesville or Durham are still "Dixie," then Pete Best is still a Beatle.

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby Tekrul » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Jbagelboy, sorry I didn't mean to encroach your position. My post was primarily directed towards the few comments made after OP told us of his choice and was catching much flak. In my opinion, he gave little information to hear objective, neutral advice to weigh against his personal stake in the matter. He was allowing logic its best fight over the vested interests he did not want to reveal lest they skew our feedback.

I believe he made the thread to this effect. Perhaps without even realizing how unmovable his choice was in heart. I don't think it was a wasted thread. Though the advice was not followed, it at least showed him what he really thought of the whole choice.

Edit: as for spiral of depression, perhaps I was using hyperbole to poor effect but the gist remains. Regret is regret. First world problems are still problems. This is a law school forum. Perhaps if I brought this up in a doctors without borders forum you'd be right to criticize me, but from yale to whatever school USN put last, in the "choosing" board, these are the problems we are concerned with.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Tekrul, that line of reasoning is valid and happens often (I used it in part to make my decision) but OPs choice of words in the analysis of both the position and the given analysis ITT is indefensible.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:01 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:I'm not trying to say "My formula of inputs has declared that Duke is the best option, so deposit, you insolent pleb!" I just think sometimes these decisions are made out of haste or factors that won't be nearly as relevant long-term as debt and job prospects. If I went to law school in the exact place I want to be, I'd have deposited at the University of Playboy Mansion Law School. These decisions should be made with a mix of objective and subjective criteria. Every school is going to be slightly better or worse for each particular applicant, but neither should anyone weigh their personal factors so heavily that everyone else thinks its absolutely ridiculous (it's a good sign you have misplaced priorities).

People have every right to include subjective factors in their decision, and they do it all the time here with no problem. The best of MVPB for an applicant changes depending on his/her subjective desire to work in Chicago, DC, NYC or SF. None of us are heartless pricks who can't understand the desire to be close to an SO, or be near where you're from, or have a non-Biglaw job--it's all things you need to factor in. But I don't think people should be making choice threads wherein the premise is "please tell me how right I am." It's pointless to solicit an answer that you know won't change your mind--you should be seeking a counterargument to your point so you can better understand another perspective. This is especially true if you want to make a decision that is "objectively" not the right one. Well, if you don't explain what subjective factors are influencing you, people are liable to assume you're an idiot.



You'll see from the rest of my earlier post that I totally agree with the bolded and what you've stated here

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Tekrul wrote:Jbagelboy, sorry I didn't mean to encroach your position. My post was primarily directed towards the few comments made after OP told us of his choice and was catching much flak. In my opinion, he gave little information to hear objective, neutral advice to weigh against his personal stake in the matter. He was allowing logic its best fight over the vested interests he did not want to reveal lest they skew our feedback.

I believe he made the thread to this effect. Perhaps without even realizing how unmovable his choice was in heart. I don't think it was a wasted thread. Though the advice was not followed, it at least showed him what he really thought of the whole choice.



Fair enough. I don't feel encroached ;] I just think you gave yourself too little credit, and OP too much!

wlags
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:18 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby wlags » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Hey guys,

Couple of things I wanted to clear up. First of all want to thank everyone again for their input, even the surprisingly harsh negative ones. I never imagined this post would garner so many replies. As I mentioned this has been an incredibly difficult decision for me, and I'm still not 100% sure about it. Unlike some have suggested, my heart was not set on NYU from the get-go, rather the opposite, I was strongly leaning towards Duke because of the cost difference. I do have family and a SO in the NY area and this was a significant factor. Realistically getting to NY or PHY (where my SO is) is not easy from Durham. And with academic demands, could not be done very often. Unlike someone suggested, I do not come from a wealthy family, and I will be paying the cost of my education with loans. Believe me, when I started this law school process I did not envision myself paying sticker at NYU. I am well aware of the debt and everything that goes with it, and of course I'm not happy about it. But, you also have to consider there would have been significant debt coming out of Duke as well, so the choice is not "free v. a ton of money" its "a ton of money v. a significantly bigger ton of money". I did not mention my SO in the original post because I wanted to get opinions on the choice without that factor. I was not surprised to see most people lean Duke. Other people I consulted outside TLS had a more mixed opinion. They mention NYU's higher rank and prestige, and potential to make connections in the NY area, which is where I eventually want to work. Everyone agrees the money is a factor, but we're talking about a lifetime here, and most agreed that while significant, that 80-100k extra is not necessarily life changing. Living is in NYC is another positive here, but I certainly do not regard Duke as "the boonies" as some have called it. Duke is an amazingly beautiful campus, with great amenities, by far the nicest law school facility that I visited, and I visited a lot. I did the appeal process with NYU but they did not budge, it seems they don't really give scholarships off the waitlist, and I certainly got the impression that if I declined they were very willing to simply call the next candidate who would likely accept at any price. I try to keep in mind that many people pay full sticker at much lower institutions with much worse job prospects/LRAP options.

In conclusion this has been one of the hardest choices I've ever had to make. I'm not sure it was the right choice, but I hope so. I would have been nice if NYU could have made the price comparable, but they didn't. I am also still on the reserve at CLS, and if I get in I will go there, which makes this whole debate superfluous because that was my top choice to begin with. So again thank you everyone for the input, and good luck!

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm very confused by that post.

wlags wrote: I was strongly leaning towards Duke because of the cost difference.


You were leaning towards Duke, got a bunch of advice to go to Duke and then decided to go to NYU? Is there something I'm missing?

I do have family and a SO in the NY area and this was a significant factor. Realistically getting to NY or PHY (where my SO is) is not easy from Durham.


I Googled PHY and still can't find out what that is. Is it Philadelphia? That isn't "the NY area" and it's going to be hard to see your SO due to 1L demands.

But, you also have to consider there would have been significant debt coming out of Duke as well, so the choice is not "free v. a ton of money" its "a ton of money v. a significantly bigger ton of money".


It sounds like you're mitigating the difference on the basis that it's basically already a lot. This is, mathematically and financially, the wrong way to look at it. The difference in total repayment cost between $175k and $275k is much larger than the difference between $100k and $0, due to the longer interest accumulation period.

I did not mention my SO in the original post because I wanted to get opinions on the choice without that factor.


Why leave out an important factor? Everyone on TLS is a human being capable of taking these subjective factors into account. If you were just looking for what the "objectively correct" answer was, the overwhelming majority would agree it's Duke, but it kind of sounds like you already knew that.

I was not surprised to see most people lean Duke. Other people I consulted outside TLS had a more mixed opinion. They mention NYU's higher rank and prestige, and potential to make connections in the NY area, which is where I eventually want to work.


This is pretty simplistic reasoning for liking NYU. Do you consider these people informed? Are they aware of Duke's strong placement in NYC?

Everyone agrees the money is a factor, but we're talking about a lifetime here, and most agreed that while significant, that 80-100k extra is not necessarily life changing.


It's more life-changing than the difference between NYU and Duke.

Living is in NYC is another positive here


You'll pretty much spend three years in about four buildings. You don't really "live in NYC" in the conventional sense of the term.

I think this would be a different story if your parents were paying for law school or you otherwise had a particular reason for wanting to be at NYU, but you don't. If I had to guess, I'd say that all that debt doesn't particular "look real" or you otherwise don't have a visceral reaction to it. It is a really, really awful thing that should be avoided in all circumstances except those in which the more expensive school provides a demonstrably better outcome in a desired area. In your desired area (NYC Biglaw), the difference in placement ability is not gigantic--the percentage of NYU grads who want NYC Biglaw that get it is not significantly larger than the percentage of Duke grads who want NYC Biglaw that get it. You're paying $100k to have maybe a 10% better chance at your goal.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
I was not surprised to see most people lean Duke. Other people I consulted outside TLS had a more mixed opinion. They mention NYU's higher rank and prestige, and potential to make connections in the NY area, which is where I eventually want to work.


This is pretty simplistic reasoning for liking NYU. Do you consider these people informed? Are they aware of Duke's strong placement in NYC?


lol +1. OP, I'm sorry if many of us came off as harsh, but we've just seen this time and time again and it gets old.

I don't know the "people" you've talked to, but anyone that references RANKINGS and PRESTIGE as key factors honestly don't know shit. Yes, the rankings matter, but only in so much as they inform the ability of those schools to employ their graduates. And we have looked at both the rankings and the employment data when providing advice. "Potential to make connections in the NY area"? That's the whole point of the conversations ITT -- those connections are objectively not worth $100K. Scroll through if you need more, but the data already says it all.

Obviously we are all guilty of trusting those we speak to IRL more than strangers on a forum. Otherwise, we would be freaks. But here, you should be able to see that those people are either shitboomer attorneys or worse, outside the profession looking in and thinking that proximity to the market and USNWR constitute factors in themselves.

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Am I wrong in thinking that the horse we are beating on is already dead?

I am, however, all for scolding the OP for making a pointless thread that hurt more than a couple butts in the process.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:I'm very confused by that post.

wlags wrote: I was strongly leaning towards Duke because of the cost difference.


You were leaning towards Duke, got a bunch of advice to go to Duke and then decided to go to NYU? Is there something I'm missing?

I do have family and a SO in the NY area and this was a significant factor. Realistically getting to NY or PHY (where my SO is) is not easy from Durham.


I Googled PHY and still can't find out what that is. Is it Philadelphia? That isn't "the NY area" and it's going to be hard to see your SO due to 1L demands.

But, you also have to consider there would have been significant debt coming out of Duke as well, so the choice is not "free v. a ton of money" its "a ton of money v. a significantly bigger ton of money".


It sounds like you're mitigating the difference on the basis that it's basically already a lot. This is, mathematically and financially, the wrong way to look at it. The difference in total repayment cost between $175k and $275k is much larger than the difference between $100k and $0, due to the longer interest accumulation period.

I did not mention my SO in the original post because I wanted to get opinions on the choice without that factor.


Why leave out an important factor? Everyone on TLS is a human being capable of taking these subjective factors into account. If you were just looking for what the "objectively correct" answer was, the overwhelming majority would agree it's Duke, but it kind of sounds like you already knew that.

I was not surprised to see most people lean Duke. Other people I consulted outside TLS had a more mixed opinion. They mention NYU's higher rank and prestige, and potential to make connections in the NY area, which is where I eventually want to work.


This is pretty simplistic reasoning for liking NYU. Do you consider these people informed? Are they aware of Duke's strong placement in NYC?

Everyone agrees the money is a factor, but we're talking about a lifetime here, and most agreed that while significant, that 80-100k extra is not necessarily life changing.


It's more life-changing than the difference between NYU and Duke.

Living is in NYC is another positive here


You'll pretty much spend three years in about four buildings. You don't really "live in NYC" in the conventional sense of the term.

I think this would be a different story if your parents were paying for law school or you otherwise had a particular reason for wanting to be at NYU, but you don't. If I had to guess, I'd say that all that debt doesn't particular "look real" or you otherwise don't have a visceral reaction to it. It is a really, really awful thing that should be avoided in all circumstances except those in which the more expensive school provides a demonstrably better outcome in a desired area. In your desired area (NYC Biglaw), the difference in placement ability is not gigantic--the percentage of NYU grads who want NYC Biglaw that get it is not significantly larger than the percentage of Duke grads who want NYC Biglaw that get it. You're paying $100k to have maybe a 10% better chance at your goal.

This horse is indeed dead and many of your points are also wrong. Philly is an easy trip from NYC, you will indeed have plenty of time to live in NYC unless you insist on spending three years in four buildings, and depending on someone's circumstances the cost difference may or may not be a determinative concern. That's putting aside the assumption that Duke does in fact place comparably into NYC, which I think is a stretch in ways that many of you don't quite comprehend.

I really have no idea why you guys get so upset about people making a decision you disagree with. This forum exists for people to get feedback on their decisions, but they're not breaching some sort of agreement if they make a choice you think is irrational.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:19 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I really have no idea why you guys get so upset about people making a decision you disagree with. This forum exists for people to get feedback on their decisions, but they're not breaching some sort of agreement if they make a choice you think is irrational.


I'll remind you of this the next time a 4.0 / 155 decides not to retake and pays sticker at UM cause they want Miami biglaw

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:59 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:I really have no idea why you guys get so upset about people making a decision you disagree with. This forum exists for people to get feedback on their decisions, but they're not breaching some sort of agreement if they make a choice you think is irrational.


I'll remind you of this the next time a 4.0 / 155 decides not to retake and pays sticker at UM cause they want Miami biglaw

First of all that's obviously a different kind of bad decision. Secondly, even then, who cares if someone ignores your advice? Don't take it so personally.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:14 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote: This horse is indeed dead and many of your points are also wrong. Philly is an easy trip from NYC, you will indeed have plenty of time to live in NYC unless you insist on spending three years in four buildings, and depending on someone's circumstances the cost difference may or may not be a determinative concern. That's putting aside the assumption that Duke does in fact place comparably into NYC, which I think is a stretch in ways that many of you don't quite comprehend.

I really have no idea why you guys get so upset about people making a decision you disagree with. This forum exists for people to get feedback on their decisions, but they're not breaching some sort of agreement if they make a choice you think is irrational.


I get that the horse is dead, but there are points here that perhaps should be clarified. As rickgrimes said, if a 4.0/155 has already decided to pay sticker at UM, it is nonetheless valid to post "Hey, nobody else do this" even after a decision is finalized, because part of the purpose in these discussions is to better inform ourselves and others about good decision-making. Most law students have a lot less free time than the average person, so it's more arduous to be spending three hours round-trip travelling to Philly, and "living in New York" is less valuable because you do a whole lot less "living" in general.

Note that I'm not even suggesting Duke places "comparably", just that the placement ability difference is not giant. I think NYU does, in fact, place better in NYC, and that most firms will go deeper into NYU's class than Duke's class. But outside of V10, the distinctions won't be particularly sharp. I think NYU is worth maybe $30-50k more, depending on how debt-averse you are. But $72k is way too big a difference, in my opinion, and it seems most people agree. If OP comes to a decision different decision that the majority we can infer OP a) has different priorities, b) has different facts, or c) has made a logical fallacy. We thought he had different priorities, like external financial resources (making him less debt-averse) or a particular fondness for NYU. But that's apparently not true, so now I'm guessing he's operating under a different set of facts, like that NYU's placement is worth a whole lot more because OMG FIVE SPOTS HIGHER.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby Nelson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote: it's going to be hard to see your SO due to 1L demands.
Stop posting this 0L nonsense with complete authority. I'd address your whole post but this was the most preposterous bit.

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Nelson wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote: it's going to be hard to see your SO due to 1L demands.
Stop posting this 0L nonsense with complete authority. I'd address your whole post but this was the most preposterous bit.


Nelson, you really need to stay out of the on topics if all you're going to do is pop in to say "Stupid 0Ls" and then rage quit. If you insist on being a troll, at least write something funny or worthwhile for us to read.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby Nelson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:08 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote: it's going to be hard to see your SO due to 1L demands.
Stop posting this 0L nonsense with complete authority. I'd address your whole post but this was the most preposterous bit.


Nelson, you really need to stay out of the on topics if all you're going to do is pop in to say "Stupid 0Ls" and then rage quit. If you insist on being a troll, at least write something funny or worthwhile for us to read.

Stick to trolling for Duke bud. The idea that 1L takes so much time that you won't be able to see your girlfriend is absurd. Personal preference and circumstances play a role in what school makes sense for what person. Moving to Durham for 3 years isn't always an option.

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Nelson wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote: it's going to be hard to see your SO due to 1L demands.
Stop posting this 0L nonsense with complete authority. I'd address your whole post but this was the most preposterous bit.


Nelson, you really need to stay out of the on topics if all you're going to do is pop in to say "Stupid 0Ls" and then rage quit. If you insist on being a troll, at least write something funny or worthwhile for us to read.

Stick to trolling for Duke bud. The idea that 1L takes so much time that you won't be able to see your girlfriend is absurd. Personal preference and circumstances play a role in what school makes sense for what person. Moving to Durham for 3 years isn't always an option.


You don't have to have any numbers in front of your L to know that doing something that is very time-intensive while also living three hours away from someone means that it will be tough to see them. Shit, just living three hours away from someone is hard enough by itself.

You think that because you're a 1L that automatically means you have all this special insight that 0Ls lack, yet a lot of the time the shit you come down on them for has nothing to do with whether they know what a tort is or not.

If you're just here to troll then get some game because your shit is weak. I can point you to some excellent trolls to emulate if you would like, just PM me.

If you're not trolling then maybe try not to be such a ball of rage and put some substance behind what you post.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby Nelson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:26 pm

BigZuck wrote:
You don't have to have any numbers in front of your L to know that doing something that is very time-intensive while also living three hours away from someone means that it will be tough to see them. Shit, just living three hours away from someone is hard enough by itself.

You think that because you're a 1L that automatically means you have all this special insight that 0Ls lack, yet a lot of the time the shit you come down on them for has nothing to do with whether they know what a tort is or not.

If you're just here to troll then get some game because your shit is weak. I can point you to some excellent trolls to emulate if you would like, just PM me.

If you're not trolling then maybe try not to be such a ball of rage and put some substance behind what you post.

Not sure why you've got a hard on for me but I don't think it's unreasonable to question people who have never been to law school who pronounce from on high about things that are not as cut and dried as they pretend.

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Nelson wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
You don't have to have any numbers in front of your L to know that doing something that is very time-intensive while also living three hours away from someone means that it will be tough to see them. Shit, just living three hours away from someone is hard enough by itself.

You think that because you're a 1L that automatically means you have all this special insight that 0Ls lack, yet a lot of the time the shit you come down on them for has nothing to do with whether they know what a tort is or not.

If you're just here to troll then get some game because your shit is weak. I can point you to some excellent trolls to emulate if you would like, just PM me.

If you're not trolling then maybe try not to be such a ball of rage and put some substance behind what you post.

Not sure why you've got a hard on for me but I don't think it's unreasonable to question people who have never been to law school who pronounce from on high about things that are not as cut and dried as they pretend.


Bolded for irony

Look, we end up posting in a lot of the same threads and you are honestly the worst poster I have seen on this site. It's obnoxious and that's why I am asking you to stop.

Now that you're a 2L will we ever hear the end of it? Maybe once we all finally figure out what a tort is and have a 1 in front of our L you'll cut us some slack?

But you're right, this is too much of a digression. Back to bashing the OP for making a life ruinously bad decision.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby Nelson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:59 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Nelson wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
You don't have to have any numbers in front of your L to know that doing something that is very time-intensive while also living three hours away from someone means that it will be tough to see them. Shit, just living three hours away from someone is hard enough by itself.

You think that because you're a 1L that automatically means you have all this special insight that 0Ls lack, yet a lot of the time the shit you come down on them for has nothing to do with whether they know what a tort is or not.

If you're just here to troll then get some game because your shit is weak. I can point you to some excellent trolls to emulate if you would like, just PM me.

If you're not trolling then maybe try not to be such a ball of rage and put some substance behind what you post.

Not sure why you've got a hard on for me but I don't think it's unreasonable to question people who have never been to law school who pronounce from on high about things that are not as cut and dried as they pretend.


Bolded for irony

Look, we end up posting in a lot of the same threads and you are honestly the worst poster I have seen on this site. It's obnoxious and that's why I am asking you to stop.

Now that you're a 2L will we ever hear the end of it? Maybe once we all finally figure out what a tort is and have a 1 in front of our L you'll cut us some slack?

But you're right, this is too much of a digression. Back to bashing the OP for making a life ruinously bad decision.

1L is much less of a time commitment than a full time job. And for many of us, staying in a city where we live and want to practice is more important than chasing maximum scholarship to dollar ratio. So I'm glad you think I'm the worst poster on TLS because you're wrong in most of the rest of your posts so why not keep the trend going.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest