Duke with scholarship vs. NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Nelson wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
You don't have to have any numbers in front of your L to know that doing something that is very time-intensive while also living three hours away from someone means that it will be tough to see them. Shit, just living three hours away from someone is hard enough by itself.

You think that because you're a 1L that automatically means you have all this special insight that 0Ls lack, yet a lot of the time the shit you come down on them for has nothing to do with whether they know what a tort is or not.

If you're just here to troll then get some game because your shit is weak. I can point you to some excellent trolls to emulate if you would like, just PM me.

If you're not trolling then maybe try not to be such a ball of rage and put some substance behind what you post.
Not sure why you've got a hard on for me but I don't think it's unreasonable to question people who have never been to law school who pronounce from on high about things that are not as cut and dried as they pretend.
Bolded for irony

Look, we end up posting in a lot of the same threads and you are honestly the worst poster I have seen on this site. It's obnoxious and that's why I am asking you to stop.

Now that you're a 2L will we ever hear the end of it? Maybe once we all finally figure out what a tort is and have a 1 in front of our L you'll cut us some slack?

But you're right, this is too much of a digression. Back to bashing the OP for making a life ruinously bad decision.
Get a room

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:43 am

Nelson, either add something of value or gtfo. Regardless of whether you agree with Zuck or not he's right - attacking someone merely because they're a 0L isn't helpful. If you disagree with the substance of a post, that's fine, but provide a legitimate counter argument beyond LOL STUPID 0L DONT KNOW NOTHIN'

And just for the record, as someone who just finished 1L, I can't imagine when I would have had the time to visit an S.O. three hours away.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:20 am

Nelson wrote: 1L is much less of a time commitment than a full time job.
Come on now. Even YOU know that's not true.

Ixiion

Bronze

Post by Ixiion » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:45 am

Edit: Nvm, pointless.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:06 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
I don't think I spent more than 40 hours a week, probably less. Around finals I studied more. I don't know, I thought law school was much better than the job I had before law school because I could do everything on my own schedule ( except going to class) I'm a morning person so I could get up, get a lot of work done, go to class, then work a little more. I read really fast so maybe that helped me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 am

dude, it's definitely true. If you're spending more than 40 hours a week studying before say, Thanksgiving, you're doing it wrong.

Not to be all "grumble grumble 0Ls" but this is a good example of why people feel that way about 0L advice. :wink:

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:47 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
dude, it's definitely true. If you're spending more than 40 hours a week studying before say, Thanksgiving, you're doing it wrong.

Not to be all "grumble grumble 0Ls" but this is a good example of why people feel that way about 0L advice. :wink:
Eh, I get the sense from his posts that Mono is kind of a nerdy (not always a bad thing dont take this as an insult) academically overinvolved and stressed kid who will spend more time studying than necessary. He may be close to top of his class as a result, who knows. But I wouldnt be surprised if he served as a self fulfilling prophecy and studies harder than his peers or the expectation of his profs. Anyone who spends that long diatribing and breaking down quotes on tls will have an axe to grind with outlines and overprep. Hes also confessed on prior posts that he didnt drink in high school and doesnt socialize much. A good friend to have in some circumstances, but also an overachiever who will most likely work 40+ hrs as a law student

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:07 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Agreed. I just want to add that you can easily visit an SO relatively far away. I wouldn't have thought that as much before 1L. My SO lives 6 hours away from my LS and I visited two or three times a month. I did very well 1L. I just had to do more of my work during the week.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:14 am

jbagelboy wrote:Eh, I get the sense from his posts that Mono is kind of a nerdy (not always a bad thing dont take this as an insult) academically overinvolved and stressed kid who will spend more time studying than necessary. He may be close to top of his class as a result, who knows. But I wouldnt be surprised if he served as a self fulfilling prophecy and studies harder than his peers or the expectation of his profs. Anyone who spends that long diatribing and breaking down quotes on tls will have an axe to grind with outlines and overprep. Hes also confessed on prior posts that he didnt drink in high school and doesnt socialize much. A good friend to have in some circumstances, but also an overachiever who will most likely work 40+ hrs as a law student
Oh yeah? I'll show you! *buys ounce of weed, spends 1L hotboxing bedroom instead of going to class, finishes bottom 10%*

Seriously though, I'm impressed by how much I agree with your characterization. I've given up hope of trying not to look gunnerish and I am now just focusing on being the panicky-face, library-cubicle, six-cans-of-Monster gunner instead of the oh-my-God-shut-the-hell-up-for-the-hundredth-time-no-one-cares-what-you-have-to-say gunner. But incidentally, I guess I practiced for the whole "pretend you aren't gunning" UVA thing in undergrad--more than once I put on the "whatever, DGAF" act at parties despite no one having seen me all week because I was in the library twelve hours a day. My father is fond of a story from his college days where a 4.0 who had been gone for weeks showed up to finals with a killer tan (during a New England winter), telling everyone he'd been in Florida for the past three weeks. Turned out the kid had been in his dorm room with a tanning lamp, studying for sixteen hours a day.

P.S. If nerdy is considered an insult on TLS, I may be targeting the wrong profession :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:41 am

jbagelboy wrote:Eh, I get the sense from his posts that Mono is kind of a nerdy (not always a bad thing dont take this as an insult) academically overinvolved and stressed kid who will spend more time studying than necessary. He may be close to top of his class as a result, who knows. But I wouldnt be surprised if he served as a self fulfilling prophecy and studies harder than his peers or the expectation of his profs. Anyone who spends that long diatribing and breaking down quotes on tls will have an axe to grind with outlines and overprep. Hes also confessed on prior posts that he didnt drink in high school and doesnt socialize much. A good friend to have in some circumstances, but also an overachiever who will most likely work 40+ hrs as a law student
Oh yeah? I'll show you! *buys ounce of weed, spends 1L hotboxing bedroom instead of going to class, finishes bottom 10%*

Seriously though, I'm impressed by how much I agree with your characterization. I've given up hope of trying not to look gunnerish and I am now just focusing on being the panicky-face, library-cubicle, six-cans-of-Monster gunner instead of the oh-my-God-shut-the-hell-up-for-the-hundredth-time-no-one-cares-what-you-have-to-say gunner. But incidentally, I guess I practiced for the whole "pretend you aren't gunning" UVA thing in undergrad--more than once I put on the "whatever, DGAF" act at parties despite no one having seen me all week because I was in the library twelve hours a day. My father is fond of a story from his college days where a 4.0 who had been gone for weeks showed up to finals with a killer tan (during a New England winter), telling everyone he'd been in Florida for the past three weeks. Turned out the kid had been in his dorm room with a tanning lamp, studying for sixteen hours a day.

P.S. If nerdy is considered an insult on TLS, I may be targeting the wrong profession :)
I could tell from your oeuvre that you weren't a true bro, breh. Good luck at UVA. You're lucky I'm not going there or I would totally give you an atomic wedgie and stuff you in a locker.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”