Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wlags

Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby wlags » Wed May 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Hey was wondering if I could get some opinions on my decision. I was all set on Duke and paid my deposit when I got the call from NYU the other day. I have 24k a year at Duke and sticker at NYU. Was wondering if you guys thought NYU was worth the extra money. I eventually plan to work in NYC in private practice and would like to be closer to the NY area where I'm from. 24k seems like a lot though. Thoughts?

NanaP

Re: Duke with scholarship vs. NYU

Postby NanaP » Wed May 29, 2013 9:11 pm

Duke...they do well in placing people in NY too, plus the cost of living is cheaper.....paying sticker in NYU would be insane with COL....If you didn't have any other options I would say NYU, but Duke is a winner here..take the money

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed May 29, 2013 9:33 pm

I presume you've gone through the appeal process at NYU? $25k could make a big difference here.

As it stands, go with Duke. It pretty much does everything you want that NYU also does.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Duke and it's not close.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu May 30, 2013 12:37 am

This a good example of why people need to specify cost of attendance with interest rather than just telling us scholarship amounts. The difference between these choices is much greater than $72K.

With Duke, total debt at repayment would be ~$180K. With NYU, it would be ~$290K -- so we're looking at a $110K difference at graduation (which will only grow as interest further accumulates). I would personally be leery of taking on that amount of debt at Duke, but it's easily the right choice as between these two options.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 30, 2013 1:17 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:Duke and it's not close.

I got to NYU, and this ^ is credited advice. We're certainly not 110K better than Duke

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu May 30, 2013 11:45 am

NYU isn't worth sticker, so the obvious choice here is Duke. The difference between the schools is somewhat negligible.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 30, 2013 12:43 pm

I saw 24K and thought well, thats negligible over 3 years and NYU would be justifiable, then I did a double take and saw 24K/YEAR, and yea that comes out to a ~$110K difference in COA. definitely Duke.

wlags

Postby wlags » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Any other thoughts here? Deadline is today, def leaning Duke but choice is a little harder than I thought it would be..

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:33 pm

It really shouldn't be a very hard choice. No sane, knowledgeable individual is going to tell you that NYU is worth $110K more than Duke (actual difference will be significantly greater, since interest will continue to accumulate after graduation).

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:35 pm

wlags wrote:Any other thoughts here? Deadline is today, def leaning Duke but choice is a little harder than I thought it would be..

I'm sticking with Duke.

Plenty of large firms in NYC know, respect, and recruit heavily from Duke. Don't worry about a big delta in chances. You'll be saving upwards of $100K including CoL over three years.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Ti Malice wrote:It really shouldn't be a very hard choice. No sane, knowledgeable individual is going to tell you that NYU is worth $110K more than Duke (actual difference will be significantly greater, since interest will continue to accumulate after graduation).

in b4 DaRascal - "go to NYU its ranked #6 and its too hot in north carolina" is most definitely not TCR

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:It really shouldn't be a very hard choice. No sane, knowledgeable individual is going to tell you that NYU is worth $110K more than Duke (actual difference will be significantly greater, since interest will continue to accumulate after graduation).

in b4 DaRascal - "go to NYU its ranked #6 and its too hot in north carolina" is most definitely not TCR

:lol:

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:58 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

DaRascal: "The two most important attributes an applicant can consider is how much purple is on the logo and per-capita ironic finger mustaches."

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:00 pm

I think this is an easy choice but my opinion differs from everyone else's in this thread so just go with your heart. :?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:12 pm

DaRascal wrote:I think this is an easy choice but my opinion differs from everyone else's in this thread so just go with your heart. :?

there it is, folks.

I'm 3-0 so far on this theory that if you choose the opposite of this posters recommendation, you get TCR.

wlags

Postby wlags » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Appreciate all the thoughts guys! I don't go on the forums too often so could somebody please clear up what TCR means for me?

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:41 pm

wlags wrote:Appreciate all the thoughts guys! I don't go on the forums too often so could somebody please clear up what TCR means for me?

The Conformist Route I believe.

Hey, buddy, it's your decision ultimately but this is your chance to fight the man. You got into a T6, no need to be debt averse like the others. Okay, but in all seriousness I would go to NYU if I were you but I can see why it's not a great idea because of the difference in loan repayments.

Look I'm just a 0L and I admittedly have made some pretty dumb decisions and I'm starting to think that you should choose Duke for some reason. :wink:

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:43 pm

wlags wrote:Appreciate all the thoughts guys! I don't go on the forums too often so could somebody please clear up what TCR means for me?

the correct/credited response (also TITCR)

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=18478

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Duke, for sure, bro! Congrats!

Archangel

Postby Archangel » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:20 pm

wlags wrote:Hey was wondering if I could get some opinions on my decision. I was all set on Duke and paid my deposit when I got the call from NYU the other day. I have 24k a year at Duke and sticker at NYU. Was wondering if you guys thought NYU was worth the extra money. I eventually plan to work in NYC in private practice and would like to be closer to the NY area where I'm from. 24k seems like a lot though. Thoughts?

24K/year is alot, but since you do want to work in NY it becomes complicated. I suggest using http://www.nalpdirectory.com/Page.cfm?PageID=34 and using the search query on the left column under, Campus Interviews, to look over the hits that you get for each school. It will show a difference between schools in terms of firms/offices offering OCI. Accounting for class size would also be prudent. Still, once you have narrowed down your search click on a firm that sparks your curiosity, then click on the recruitment/hiring tab on the upper ribbon, then click the hiring grid to see the number of summer associates taken in and given offers. The compensation/area of practice tabs on the aforementioned ribbon may also interest you as well. I hope this helps you make a more informed decision.

Also checking each of the school's Lrap programs would also be wise, http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/resour ... hool-lraps. I believe NYU has a rather strong program, good luck!

Btw, Congrats
Last edited by Archangel on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

willwilliams1334

Postby willwilliams1334 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:29 pm

NYU is a great value if you want to be in NYC. It is especially strong there, placing grads into elite firms with elite exit options. Duke, not near as much.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:12 pm

willwilliams1334 wrote:NYU is a great value if you want to be in NYC. It is especially strong there, placing grads into elite firms with elite exit options. Duke, not near as much.

The chances of this, although greater than at Duke, are definitely not worth 110k+, financially speaking. If you just want NYC biglaw, go to Duke.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:37 pm

willwilliams1334 wrote:NYU is a great value if you want to be in NYC.

No it's not. NYU is objectively not worth sticker. $280k for a school that doesn't start with H, Y, or S? You must be joking.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”